closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ZuluDiver “Octopod” Buckle Review

Threaded View

ZuluDiver “Octopod” Buckle Review

ZuluDiver “Octopod” Buckle Review

I like one-piece, pull-through watch straps. These are usually made of fabric and are very simple: literally just a strip of webbing with a buckle at one end and holes at the other (unless they are perlon: no holes; infinitely adjustable.) Sometimes these are referred to as “RAF” straps to differentiate them from NATO straps I’ll use that here as shorthand.

Why do I like them? Four reasons: first, unlike NATO straps they allow the buckle to be located directly opposite the watch head and centred on the inside of the wrist. This makes them very comfortable. Second, like NATO straps they provide security in the event of a springbar failure. Many watches are valuable and to think of them being held on by a single spring pushing a tiny pin into a small hole is, frankly, frightening. Third, some watches, especially military-issued ones, have fixed bars and so need a pull-through strap. (Top tip: if your watch does have springbars then use shoulderless ones when pairing it with any pull-through strap otherwise the flanges can snag on the fabric and pop it clean out.) Fourth, the watch sits lower than on a NATO as there’s only one layer of webbing underneath it.

In the past I’ve often made my own RAF strap by “circumcising” a NATO. This means cutting off the additional flap that secures the watch and therein lies the problem: the watch can slide up and down on the strap, unhindered, and that means it can also slip right off and hit the floor. And, yes, that has happened to me. Twice. Ouch.

So I decided to experiment. Would it be possible to fit a deployant clasp to a RAF strap? With a little fettling and a bit of bodging I cut down a NATO, snipped off the buckle and added a cheap bi-fold (or “butterfly”) clasp from ebay. It worked perfectly. And no more slip sliding away.

You can see the result of that prototype here.

But I prefer the simpler, Z-shaped foldover deployants that simply snap open and closed rather than relying on buttons and springs. It took me a while to find a decent one, but once I did I was even happier: all the convenience of a vintage friction-fit bracelet clasp with all the comfort and security of a RAF strap. Job done – and for very little money.

(An aside: I am a pedant so I refer to these clasps as deployants not deployments, but others – including vendors who really should know better – insist on the incorrect but less unfamiliar term. I guess if your potential customers are searching for “deployments” then you’d be daft not to use the word yourself, so I can see why they do that. Personally I think anyone who wants a deployment should be sent overseas. Ha ha.)

I said it took me a while to find a decent clasp; be aware that some foldover deployants do not open very wide (and so may not fit over you hand) and/or have a gap between the “pin” which goes through the holes in the strap and the top of the plate that snaps into place over it, meaning a thin nylon strap can escape and come free. This was true of the cheap ebay / Amazon ones; I eventually bought one from Watch Obsession with the added bonus having the choice between brushed or polished metal.

So, like this:

But searching for options and ideas led me to find the Octopod buckle from ZuluDiver.

What’s that?

It’s this:

And it’s brilliant. It comes in 20mm and 22mm with a vast range of straps, some of which are elasticated, MN style.

Like this one:

All the benefits of my homemade bodge job – but with some added advantages. First, no “tail” flapping around (excess material is on the inside). Second, the security of a push-button release on the clasp: normal on bi-fold buckles but not on foldover clasps. Third, it’s very well made: robust but still light and slim. Finally, it looks great. There’s also some nice attention to detail: remember I said you should ideally pair any type of fabric strap with shoulderless spring bars? Well, they’re fitted as standard on the ZuluDiver.

Cons? None I can think of. It’s pricey but not unreasonable and well worth it. It’s a little tricky to thread the strap through the twin bars (I find it easier to remove the second one and re-insert it over the strap, rather than faff around trying to push it under.) It’s not very adjustable, especially once it’s on the wrist, but that’s where the stretchy straps come into their own: if a hot workout at the gym makes your wrist swell a bit then the elastic simply expands to maintain a good fit. (I suspect it also fits well over a wetsuit if you actually, you know, dive with a dive watch.) In fact the only I’d change is making them available in 18mm for vintage watches.

Lots more (and better) picture online but I hope this helped give a user’s review of a great new product. I’ll update this after it’s had some more field testing but so far, so good.

Recommended.
    Last edited by Rev-O; 9th February 2023 at 16:59.