closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Fifty Fathoms 21 March

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Far far away from the original and its intentions.
    Well the tiny originals were from a different age - 32mm? 34mm? - even the later 'Jumbo' was only 40mm. The big bezel design makes them all look even smaller. The original ones are pieces of a size that few average-sized blokes these days could carry off without looking a bit silly.

IMO the Genta-inspired design only came into its own in the 00s with the 42mm models and later. The 40mm may be an attempt at matching this moment's fashion but I believe it's a mistake. If the old ones weren't selling it was probably because too many naff intrusions from motorsport had got in to the designs over time.

Thankfully not all manufacturers are falling into the trap of miniaturising their watches. Some retreat from the previous 44mm and over trend of the last couple of decades was probably inevitable and it's true larger watches can be unweildy on some wrists, but I honestly believe the market for small watches as main pieces will be limited and it won't be too long till most are back in that 41-44mm sweet spot (with mid-size available for people who need that). People are simply larger in all dimensions today, while with technology everywhere, a watch is no longer a necessity but a statement, and few want that statement to be so small it gets lost on the wrist.

Anyway it appears Blancpain have avoided the temptation to go too small with this classic design. Good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Well the tiny originals were from a different age - 32mm? 34mm? - even the later 'Jumbo' was only 40mm. The big bezel design makes them all look even smaller. The original ones are pieces of a size that few average-sized blokes these days could carry off without looking a bit silly.

IMO the Genta-inspired design only came into its own in the 00s with the 42mm models and later. The 40mm may be an attempt at matching this moment's fashion but I believe it's a mistake. If the old ones weren't selling it was probably because too many naff intrusions from motorsport had got in to the designs over time.

Thankfully not all manufacturers are falling into the trap of miniaturising their watches. Some retreat from the previous 44mm and over trend of the last couple of decades was probably inevitable and it's true larger watches can be unweildy on some wrists, but I honestly believe the market for small watches as main pieces will be limited and it won't be too long till most are back in that 41-44mm sweet spot (with mid-size available for people who need that). People are simply larger in all dimensions today, while with technology everywhere, a watch is no longer a necessity but a statement, and few want that statement to be so small it gets lost on the wrist.

Anyway it appears Blancpain have avoided the temptation to go too small with this classic design. Good for them.

Yes, the originals - fantastic though they are, and I would love to have one - have not stood the test of aesthetic time that the Rolex Sub/SD have - so they have drifted into "Tribute to the FF".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Yes, the originals - fantastic though they are, and I would love to have one - have not stood the test of aesthetic time that the Rolex Sub/SD have - so they have drifted into "Tribute to the FF".
    Funnily enough I haven't been motivated to buy a Rolex since a 5513 in the early 00s ... too small, too rattly, and while rattly doesn't apply in the same way to the 16610, I still felt it was too small. For some reason the recent, larger Rolexes haven't quite grabbed me either, though maybe I just got out of the habit of paying attention to the brand with all the hoo-ha around availability and speculation. With that dying down maybe another look is in order.

The FF on the other hand is drifting into grail territory. I'll be watching carefully as to whether the new smaller one leads to some bargains on used 45mm (though now, post-retirement, it would require a few sales this end to justify) ... I once almost got the plastic out at Hong Kong airport, the deal was very tempting, but in the end I dithered too long and had to run to the gate. In part it was because it was on a sailcloth strap that was too short, and I was reluctant to spend that amount of money on a watch I would have had to wait weeks or even months to wear given how long it can take to order up OEM straps these days. Probably stupid of me as the stars never aligned again.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I was mostly referring to the real toolwatch status, basic movement and price.
    Yes indeed there is that too! New price is eye-watering for what it is.
    Last edited by kk; 21st March 2024 at 16:29.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post

I was mostly referring to the real toolwatch status, basic movement and price.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!