closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch boxes, keep or bin?

Hybrid View

A couple I have used for storage of other things like watch straps there are one or two that are "travel cases" so are practical to keep. I think of some watch boxes I have had over the years, I bought an old Omega years ago with box and papers the box was literally disintegrating, parts of it stuck to the outer card looking back I now think "what is really the point of keeping it?" I suppose like everyone else the whole selling with box and papers is always what a buyer is after.

I wonder where that first came from? Perhaps from back in the day when people only had one or two watches and sold on to dealers so popping into a shop having the original box was a bit more "proof" of ownership rather than buying it off the bloke down the pub? These days though it really offers nothing to the providence of the watch. I read here somewhere Rolex back in the day suggesting using the box as somewhere to store your cigarettes!

I am a bit like that with watch straps though, never really understood the point of wanting a second hand watch with the strap, unless its a bracelet I tend to suggest taking the strap off and keeping it unless its say with the original buckle.

Someone mentioned Citizen, from memory I think they had boxes that could reasonably be re-used as something else? Seiko seem to be mostly boxes made to be disposed of.

Unless you need the space, I'd hold on to them. If you change your mind about any of those keepers you might regret binning the box.

IME even cheap crappy watches sell better if they come 'full set', so unless you live in a Tokyo studio flat, it seems barmy to bin 'em.

Blog Entries
    I keep the bags the boxes came in, you know the luxury ones that are huge with a ribbon on top and gets you mugged outside the stores?

I’ll get my coat.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Of course I keep the boxes, I keep them all in the attic in suitcases

Craftsman
    I pretty much keep all mine (as I have the space) and usually keep the spare bracelet links when I size the watch, plus it's good if I move the piece along....the next owner gets the full package, so to speak.