closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Three Peaks - Anyone Done It? Any Tips?

Hybrid View

Three Peaks - Anyone Done It? Any Tips?

Evening all. I’m doing the Three Peaks in august, with my mate who is doing it for a stroke charity that has recently been looking after his brother who unfortunately had a severe stroke at 46.

For anyone who’s not aware, it’s a climb of Ben Nevis, then Scaffell Pike, then Snowden, in 24 hours, traveling to one after the other, kipping in the van between them (SP is an overnight climb). I’ve read all the website stuff of do’s and dont's, equipment needed etc but don’t know anybody that’s done it so thought I’d ask if anyone had any experience or real world feedback? Cheers.

My daughter did it a few years back, extremely tough. Not just the climbs, but hundreds of miles between each site and climbing and coming down in the dark. She is physically fit, but found it hard.

Plenty of planning and tons of training required.

Good luck.

Haven’t done the 3, but I can say at 50 Nevis gave my knees a right battering. Hundreds of steps on the way down took their toll. Scafell wasn’t so bad.

Master
    If you're going in August take plenty of fluids. There's no need to rush the climbs, you have plenty of time and none of them are hard.

Which ever one you do in the dark will be demoralising - I did Scafel Pike in the dark and it was completely crap.

Get a mate / third party who isnt climbing to do the driving.

Other than that, have fun and and raise money for an important cause.

Master
    Hard to give targeted advice without knowing previous hill experience and current level of fitness.

All are easy walks on paper, but weather can alter that dramatically. Take your ‘if shit hits the fan’ clothing even if the forecast is mild, and take the opportunities to re-fuel while travelling.

Good luck with it.

Did it in 23hs 40ms in 2011

The 3Ps

• Planning
    • Poles
    • Porridge

Good luck and don't make it too serious as you won't 'enjoy' it.

Wouldn't like to be on SP when the weather changes its mood, at any time of day, let alone at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Did it in 23hs 40ms in 2011

The 3Ps

• Planning
    • Poles
    • Porridge

Good luck and don't make it too serious as you won't 'enjoy' it.
    Not on the three peaks, but I’ve been in sideways torrential rain on SP trying to guide a team of 10 who can’t (refuse) to hear/listen to what you are instructing because of the situation.
    When shlt is hitting you in the face so hard, people (panicked) are starting to try and take control, your senses go in to overdrive and somehow you regain control and work stuff out.

Not something I would (could) want to be involved in again.
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 25th April 2024 at 02:16.

Hi all, thanks for the info and feedback, very useful.

Yes should’ve mentioned existing fitness levels, I’m 44, within normal BMI and can run 10k in under an hour. Recently did a 26 mile hill trek in the Lakes, coach kids football so would say I’m in ok shape. Plus, have 5 months still to train, which will include doing the ‘other’ 3 Peaks here in Yorkshire where I live.

Will definitely be making sure my boots are broken in. Wasn’t sure about the walking poles but sounds like they would be a useful thing to have? We have a third party driving and acting as a guide, which should make things more straightforward.

Sounds like with the weather, overnight climb and lack of sleep it’s as much a mental endurance test as a physical one, maybe more. Am not taking it too seriously - I’ll train hard, but I mean I’m doing it with two good childhood mates and we just wanna do it, have a laugh together and raise some money for a good cause.

Lots of really good advice here already, so I can only add a very little from my first 3P experience.

1 - Don’t get pished the night before you do the Ben.
    2 - The travelling between the 3 is dreadful. Whatever you do, don’t recruit someone to do the support/driving who will make themselves sick about 20 miles from Fort Bill and leave the walkers to do the driving instead.
    3 - Make sure the rest of your party have trained properly and are all hill fit.

The 2nd time went much better……

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I drove the minibus for some work colleagues that did it. I also ran their field kitchen so they had food after each climb. They slept in the minibus between each climb.

They were glad to have had a driver who wasn't climbing.

I found it exhausting too!

Sent from my SM-A145R using TZ-UK mobile app