Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
Assuming you're considering buying the watch, I`ll give a word of advice.....Don't!

The watch is a scruffy example that's obviously led a very hard life, little wonder considering the age (1950s). The gold capping is badly worn on the lugs, the dial's heavily aged, I can`t see anything remotely attractive about the watch. If it was steel it might be a better proposition, but heavily worn gold-capped watches are best avoided in my opinion. See the wear-through on the top left lug in the pic and you'll see what I mean.

If you wish to buy a vintage Constellation do yourself a huge favour and buy a top-notch example, the best you can afford. Trying to buy bargain vintage Omegas usually ends badly. Be sure to handle the watch before committing.

By coincidence I have a very similar example on my workbench at the moment that's in better condition, it has sentimental value to the woner so it's worth restoring.
Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
Can only agree with Paul.

The dial is the most important part of the watch to me and that looks badly aged.

The wear through of the gold capping shows the hard life as they are usually 80 micro's thick IIRC.

I'd look for something far better but you will have to pay some decent money.
Thanks for the tips and I agree with you both. The only possible sway I'd have is if when/if I see it in person that the dial is in good condition.
I seriously doubt it would be, and agree that the case and crystal are very strong indicators of it having had a hard life.
Also agree with you both that buying a good example is a far safer bet than buying a fixer-upper.

Was my ID of it as a 2852 in the right ballpark?