closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What hat?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post

Wish I could find one of these in black, a la Terry Pratchett.
    Hmm, not a fan of that type of folded edge.

Have a google on ´cavanagh edge´ as perspective.

A hat like that shape is a wide brim tapered fedora you can very easily find on ebay.com but the style is nor complimented by a body warmer imo. An outback by Akubra would, again imo, be a better combo with that.

I can never quite decide whether I suit a hat, Cilla, you certainly don't IMHO.
    There is no discussing taste and especially as Í am not the one who has to look at it, I let my choice be heavily influenced by the women in my life. Their initial, non-verbal respons is always most telling.

This evening I am invited for a diner, an overnighter and tomorrow a lawn party so will pack at léast one hat. Not the Homburg and it will have to be unlined so that limits the question to a wide or a bit stingy brim. As the host is very outspoken about the watch she likes most on me, that is a no brainer.
    Ah..., sweet memories and dreams; the added value of watches and hats

Edt: my personal subjective observations on the hat were incorrect.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 26th April 2014 at 14:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Uuff, that edge looks crappy.

Have a google on ´cavanagh edge´ as perspective.
    No, I shall leave the "Googling" to you, if you can spare the time away from your dreamworld.

Incidentally it's Cavanagh, not cavanagh.
    Last edited by BrianT; 26th April 2014 at 12:50.

Hope you knowledgable chaps don't mind a question in this thread from a TOTAL hat novice, I have a couple of ORVIS light felts, And they are supposedly foldable for travel Etc, I really struggle to have them looking neat and right shape even without having folded them Ie they show dents etc, Is there a trick to shaping, wearing, storing, Hats, Sorry if I should not be in here, But very interesting, I would also like a straw summer hat, Just to keep a bit of shade etc, Must be cheap and easy care , Any recommendations Sources.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Incidentally it's Cavanagh, not cavanagh.
    Big difference... and actually both is correct since it has become a generic synomym for the felted edge.

@fishman307; the only way to get them smooth/shaped is using a plant spray to mist some moist on the felt and then use a mid hot electric iron. Just moisten! Better apply some again than soak too much to start with. Use a clean metal/glass/earthenware or such container with the desired curved or flat profile for the bit you want to sort out.

Ok, back to my indeed dream life.
    Boxes with fresh eggs from our free range chicken & bushel freshy cut green fine asperges are ready. Ditto a large jar with home made piccalilly. The weather could not be better so I am looking even forward to the drive down to the coast with the ragtop down.

I can never quite decide whether I suit a hat, Cilla, you certainly don't IMHO.
    I'm sure Cilla is big enough to stand up for himself, but I must say Brian, what a mean spirited thing to say. Whether or not he does suit a hat (I think you're wrong, he can carry it off with a certain panache) is immaterial; this was a lighthearted thread on another man's interest which has resulted in an enjoyable discussion.

James

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Btw BrianT, I owe you an appology about my unjust commentary. That was opinion so I was out of bounds with the judgement.
    I have edited it and

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    this was a lighthearted thread on another man's interest which has resulted in an enjoyable discussion.

James

Thanks James, all the more reason to return to that spirit.

Just received a phone call of The Hat Lady. Good thing she called as it made the heartwrenching ;-) choice much easier. The unlined floppy it is.

For me usually a flat cap or baker boy. . Although fancy a trilby but struggle get right fit as I have a fat head.

Chris.

Craftsman
    havnt worn the flat cap in years but caught sight of my bald patch in a rear mirror and realized it was time to dig it out. I also have a chitral cap bought in chitral but think it might draw the wrong attention.

Journeyman
    I wear two types in the Summer to protect my head from burning.

A Tilley LT5B which is very light and can be folded up small or a Barmah Foldaway Bronco.

Ken

As a young man I was too vain to wear any type of hat. Today, although still sporting hair, I find myself with three essential utility hats to which I have become unexpectedly attached:
    1. A sun hat made of hemp from Tilley.
    2. A cold weather Norwegian fishermans beanie type hat made of wool from Devold.
    3. A wet weather hat made of Cotton/Polyamide from Didriksons1913.

Whilst I will admit that I still look like a Prick in most hats (yeah I know), staying unburnt, warm or dry is more important to me these days.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 27th April 2014 at 11:53.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the contributions guys.

The choice was a success beyond imagination. Cheering applause..; I was***

To top that one guest took me apart and said that she had an 1850´s Derby bowler guarded and would give it to me...; I was speechless.

In all reality however, todáy it was too warm for even a summer type felt hat so I am contemplating a shantung hat. It will háve to be light grey or something.

One observation I want to share with you guys here.
    After showing my outfit (and shelving it because it was too hot) I got literally dráwn into a conversation with appreciative ladies. That ´audience´ was a group of attractive (by ány standards), intelligent, successfull women age 35 to 50 (with one stunning exception of 70).

´Why do you men not wear those incredibly elegant and attractive hats anymore????!!!´
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 28th April 2014 at 09:28.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wow, thát was fast!

Got a straw hat

Absolutely pristine, never worn!

For the b&p lovers; comes with box, the handwritten replacement data label still inside the headband ánd original bill of sales dated March 20, 1956!

Master
    I have a terrible time with hats making my head itchy so I don't wear them. I will say I like the Tilley hats looks like the kind Harrison Ford wore and also I like these roll them and stick it in your back pocket when you aren't wearing it.

http://www.berkeleyhat.com/ropahat.html

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    I will say I like the Tilley hats looks like the kind Harrison Ford wore
    Can you link/copy an illustration? It does not ring any bells with me

You mean??

Last edited by Huertecilla; 29th April 2014 at 07:02.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hatventures continued

When the sea mist had cleared this morning we walked down to the chiringuito on the beach for an early lunch.
    Pleasant temperature, slight breeze; the perfect weather for my lightweight Resistol Rambler.
    I put my hat on, she took a snapshot;

Classy hat. Looks good

I have enjoyed browsing this thread; thanks guys.
    It is an upmarket hat thread; at my end of the socio-economic scale I am eagerly anticipating a hat on order that is being made from redundant Brazilian tarpaulins (as mentioned previously in this thread). I just need to learn some Portugese swear words in case they appear on my new titfor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    It is an upmarket hat thread; at my end of the socio-economic scale I am eagerly anticipating a hat on order that is being made from redundant Brazilian tarpaulins (as mentioned previously in this thread). I just need to learn some Portugese swear words in case they appear on my new titfor.
    Tarp hat - cool

It's on the list
    [this forum is so expensive buying stuff I never knew existed let alone needed, the economy is safe as long as TZ-UK exists]

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    You´re welcome. very much so.

It is an upmarket hat thread;
    More a nice mix I would say.
    Also, even though most are of better quality than the Lock & Co limited edition 850 pound top felt fedora, they cértainly do NOT cost nearly that much. My mint Cavanagh Fifth Avenue in original box per example is of wáy better quality than http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Homburg-details.aspx yet cost me less than 50 incl. shipping per example.

at my end of the socio-economic scale I am eagerly anticipating a hat on order that is being made from redundant Brazilian tarpaulins (as mentioned previously in this thread). I just need to learn some Portugese swear words in case they appear on my new titfor.
    Níce! and no worries functional, which is the greatest virtue any hat can have.

[this forum is so expensive buying stuff I never knew existed let alone needed, the economy is safe as long as TZ-UK exists]
    My most expensive hat dates from early fourties and cost me 150 Euros. It would be at least ten times that now if it would be possible to find that quality of felt today.

There were better hats still in the golden days of hat making, costing 100$ in the 1930s. Those were hats worn by CEOs of large companies and several aspects of that level of quality are now impossible to produce as the specialits skills do no longer exist.

My best hat is awesome yet cost me 100 Euros omly incl. shipping. It is súch quality that I cannot find anyone who can properly clean and reblock it :-(
    It is clean enough to wear but it is súch an amazing quality hand felted hat that it deserves to be pristine.
    I am hoping to visit Isesa in Sevilla and will bég if they can/will.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 2nd May 2014 at 12:26.

More a nice mix I would say.
    Also, even though most are of better quality than the Lock & Co limited edition 850 pound top felt fedora, they cértainly do NOT cost nearly that much. My mint Cavanagh Fifth Avenue in original box per example is of wáy better quality than http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Homburg-details.aspx yet cost me less than 50 incl. shipping per example.
    I was a Lock man at one stage but went back to Christies in the end. Without the Royal Warrant they couldn't get away with charging the prices they do (Locks that is). Rumour has it that the Christies and Lock bowler come out of the same factory but I haven't been able to substantiate this. I actually have a black Homburg which I got from my late father-in-law and wear it only very occasionally but I normally wear a brown racing trilby (Locks but bought in the sale) if it's raining.

Eventually you'll need to get one of these - fur felt tends to shrink but then again you probably don't get much rain where you are.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing.
    Would you happen to have pictures, preferrably head shots, of your Homburg and Trilby?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Rumour has it that the Christies and Lock bowler come out of the same factory but I haven't been able to substantiate this.
    And I have a good idea about which factory too.

Yes, I will need a spreader but am still looking for an affordable european one. As it is súch a simple thing I may make one myself.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Double WOW hatventure

Wow, what intense hatventures and to top perfect, as a parting shot I recieved an invitation for a formal concert in Gibraltar. Perfect occasion to wear a hat again
    Time to chill a bit now.
    When the 20th C. pc has cranked up to speed and is the right mood to down-/upload the photos, I have some wonderfull hat photos to share. One is of a surprising flat cap with open weave jute. I now regret not buying one then and there.

The second wow is over three thousand hits here!!!

Hope that you guys will have some head/hat shots to share too.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hatventures ctnd.

Starting with hat shopping with a gf in Málaga, ditto in Granada ending up with shoes, more adventures and then the introduction to the actual guy who made the original Indy hats by The Hat Lady now yet two hatventures móre:

First two snapshots from a visit to a jazz club:

I am wearing a cotton tailored jacket over a waisted cotton shirt, a high waist pants over suede dress boots and a dated 1939 Glynn hat.
    In llight of the above it is noteworthy that Glynn was located at Old Bond Street whereas the Indy hatter had his premises at New Bond Street. It made me realise that this makes the Writer an old english hat really...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hatventures cntd.

Next morning we went on route early to see the opening of the Feria de Perros by a rehala walking the óóóld centre of Archidona.
    Note the flat cap. Later more; lóts more...

The exhibition terrain of the Feria de Perros is split over two locations. One for the hunting/working dogs incl. vendors and the other for vendors of gear from gunds to hats, also a large tent with artesenally made food sellers but that is outside of the scope of thís thread.

There was a HÚGe variation in fat caps with one noteable model in open weave jute.
    Obviously trilbies, fedoras too and the omnipresent staws.
    I also took some shots of passers by.

Pfff... by jove, today this line is ssslllloooooowwwww as horse dung...

Banned
    Blog Entries

The scenery

Archidona is áncient.
    The first evidence of human settlement are pre neanderthal human(oid)s and it has been prime real estate ever since.
    One incedible, huge, mind boggling, structure dates from pre Phoenicean times!
    In US perspective it is noteworthey that it was won from the Moors over a century before Queen Isabella sponsored Columbus to sail west to the indies and accidentally stumble on the americas.
    Some of the buildings still standing go back well into moorish times and the town is rich in mudejar build.

A minute selection of snapshots:

The cave restaurant.

The roof of the cave entry part.

Typical old balcony underside.

Childrens procession gathering on the Plaza Ochavada.

The last two are of a plaza where there are a lot of activities like live tango, flamenco, salsa exhibitions etc. organised under the stars. Entry free.
    The buidng on the mountain top in the background is the mesquita of the old castle there, converted in a catholic chuch. The pillars inside, floor etc are still original, with the oldest bits possibly dating to the first millennium. Quite a back drop.
    Today it was just to enjoy an icecream in :eusa_clap company.

Master
    Hope that you guys will have some head/hat shots to share too.
    Here's one of me wearing my old M&S wide brimmed fedora...

Master
    This is the hat for you.

As worn by Scouts for a long, long time.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post

Thanks for sharing: cool jacket too btw!

Looks authentic Steve.

Banned
    Blog Entries

...and off to Gibraltar

with the english made hat off course.

Awesome. If I can't go the George Clooney, never really aging route, then in 30 years, this is how I want to look.

Alan,

With a bellows adapter like that I'm surprised you don't take even better macro photos.

Alan

In answer to the original OP, I do my best to keep pictures of myself off the internet (and the intranet at work) so I won't be joining the beauty contest.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 5th May 2014 at 10:28.

Master
    Alan,

With a bellows adapter like that I'm surprised you don't take even better macro photos.

Alan
    Very sharp.......unlike my macros.

In answer to the original OP, I do my best to keep pictures of myself off the internet (and the intranet at work)...

Cheers
    Last edited by Dapper; 5th May 2014 at 18:16.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne;3128508X
    In answer to the original OP, I do my best to keep pictures of myself off the internet (and the intranet at work) so I won't be joining the beauty contest.
    Good for you!
    and a hat shot would be very interesting too.

In the end I forgot some stuff to take on the trip, among which the hat. So no Gibraltar hatventure, just adventures. Still had GREAT fun but I, without a shadow of a doubt, would have (ab)used the added value of style.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Digillitera

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Awesome. If I can't go the George Clooney, never really aging route, then in 30 years, this is how I want to look.
    If only I knew how to blot out faces/ crop the picture, I would share a wonderfun hatventure foto concerning that.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hatventures cntd.

We went to the weekly market this morning and I made some snaps of the every day scenery.
    So hats, dogs, location and food.
    I don´t know how to crop, modify or whatever so the fotos are as I shot them, not even a selection.

The drinks are 1 Euro for coffee and beer, 1.50 for soda and 0.25 - 0.50 for tapas though my gf and me get them for free.

I hope you have enjoyed it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am surprised that scots use branded articles and also the Homburg is quite a good = costly one.

I am surprised that scots use branded articles and also the Homburg is quite a good = costly one.
    I'm amused that you immediately came to the conclusion that they are Scottish and I think I can follow your reasoning however they are characters in an early sitcom and they hail from West London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steptoe_and_Son

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm amused that you immediately came to the conclusion that they are Scottish and I think I can follow your reasoning however they are characters in an early sitcom and they hail from West London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steptoe_and_Son
    It was tongue in cheek.
    I know the series but the poster is from Scotland... An open goal that ;)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Called last thursday

By the way, the Sevillian hat factory experience is ... euhmmmmm ... typical andaluz:

Send them an email and/or fill in the contact form on the site and ... NOTHING.

Drop the a call and you get a person who should be fired for the way he answers the phone; 'mumble.., diga!'
    My 12 y.o. son has been doing a better job for 5 years.
    I have NO idea whom I am talking to, not even if it indeed is Isesa and ask for someone from sales or marketing.
    'She is not in'. Period.
    One needs to ask further or hang up so I enquire further upon which he responds;
    'She will be back monday.' Period.
    I get no name, no direct number and have to insist he takes my data...
    Sigh.

Oh and from experience I know that her being back on monday translates to better not call before tuesday as she will be in a pms-like state because of the backlog.

This is the norm over here. The customer is just a bother who's role is to pay and disappear. After 13 years here I can still not get used to it.

Meanwhile put a bid out on a well made european market Borsalino fedora. Again one of those vintage wonders; 70 y.o. pristine, never worn.....

Banned
    Blog Entries

Forgot about it!

Just received email that I ahd won an ebay auction.
    The wonderful weekend had flushed it from the active memory.

Two weeks ago I had entered the ludicrously low starting bid on a fine Borsalino for sale on ebay.fr
    As it was a véry nice unworn early fifties fedora I was sur it would go WÁY over what I want to pay.
    Nobody was watching appearantly so it is mine!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Transport issue solved

Taking a hat along in the car úsed to be such a normal thing that befor ww1 car interiors where designed with extra hight to leave plenty space for even high hats.
    Later on the shelf behind the rear seat was designed fit for the purpose and even bears that name today in several languages.
    Today though, with the huge very horizontal glass surfaces a hat is not ok under this sun exposure, but where dó you leave it?
    I store it behind my driver´s seat in a plastic bag to keep it clean but that is not ideal and it kept bugging me.
    I have now found the solution; a travel case with the hat firmly supported on an adjustable fixture, inside a hard protective shell:

Surprisingly affordable too with dirt cheap shipping costs! so the only better deal would have been if the seller also would have had a nice hat for sale and then combine shipment with the hat inside the case...

I have now found the solution...
    No, you're better off wearing it while driving. People always give you much more room.

My latest look!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    In the car it's no problem. I just get my PA to carry my hat.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No, you're better off wearing it while driving. People always give you much more room.
    If only; but I would nééd the wind trolley then as I mostly potter around in my rag top,which btw gets me plenty of room as well

As to me driving accompanied Java, then the charming company is not professional but romantically involved. That indeed still presents an obvious solution to the símple problem but would often mean I would need to give óne the hat thus create a more challenging one. So no I am nót comtemplating that one.
    Yes, yes, I know but two baseball caps look ludicrous, never mind two hats and no I am not resorting to wearing baseball caps either. The hat case it is.

Great thread - I used to be known for wearing outlandish hats as a kid, well before it was cool. I had a couple of trilby's, plenty of flat caps and the usual assortment of caps, beanies, sock-hats (lol!) and the like. I hope to grow up enough to move into the "grown-ups" hats in most of this thread, but for now, I make do with a nice Harris Tweed flat cap from Failsworth's, and a wool felt one that looks a bit Indiana Jones but I bought at a Farming show in Dorset a few years back, that I wear when in the fields and the weather is really bad. (much better than a hood, as I hate that restricted vision. (pics available, if you are so inclined...)
    I think you really pull it off with some of those, Heurt - keep it up! And a whole new world of buying stuff opened up to me for the future - thanks (i think!).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    but for now, I make do with a nice Harris Tweed flat cap from Failsworth's, and a wool felt one that looks a bit Indiana Jones but I bought at a Farming show in Dorset a few years back, that I wear when in the fields and the weather is really bad. (much better than a hood, as I hate that restricted vision. (pics available, if you are so inclined...)
    YES please!

I think you really pull it off with some of those, Heurt - keep it up! And a whole new world of buying stuff opened up to me for the future - thanks (i think!).
    Thanks (I think). No need to worry too much though, not even about a serious case of addiction. Hats, even the more expensive of the vintage ones, are peanuts compaired to the territory of luxury watches this forum has moved in. You can build up the most decadent hat collection for thát watch dropped (carefully offcourse) on the matt by the postman.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Eggs & bowler

Walked down to the village to deliver egges this morning. STRÓNG wind so no hat. I think I need an equestrian bowler; low profile so it does not ctah much wind and a chin strap holding it on.
    The wind-trolley of sone luxury vintage ones does not prevent it being blown óff, just awáy.