timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A complete watch.

Threaded View

Thomas Reid

Re: A complete watch.

Now the front.

Here it is to start.

The first think I do on the front is let down the mainspring. (Tricky here, as I don't have a stem for the movement.) Then I take off the balance. On this movement, I'm also taking the balance wheel off the rest of the balance assembly. So, (1) remove stone and stone housing; (2) turn screw on regulator arm to free the hairspring from the regulator assembly; and (3) loosen screw on the stud carrier to free the stud.

If you look closely, you can see that I've done that in this picture.

Off with the pallet stuff.

Since some of the wheels sit on top of the barrel bridge, it is the wheel train next.

Now for the mainspring system (and main wheel, which is at the bottom). The rachet wheel comes off first, then the click and clickspring. The click spring is another that is happy to fly. I wanted a picture of it, since it is unusual (to me).

The crown wheel is often held on with a left-hand threaded (reverse) screw. But this one is held on with two standard screws. So, off they come, and then the barrel bridge.

I wanted a picture of the barrel in place.

Open the barrel. (I do it by pushing firmly, but gently on the bit of the barrel with the teeth with the barrel arbor against the bench. The top pops right off.

I also wanted a picture of the mainspring in the barrel. Just to make orientation easier.

I took out the mainspring, and it didn't look too bad, but I'm ordering a new one anyway.

Okay, everything is apart, and basket cases. From top left to right: balance stone and housing; barrel, and rest of of mainspring system; wheel train; escapement (except for balance wheel, which I clean with one-dip). The larger basket contains plates and the like. (The bits from the dial side are out of the picture.)

Everything is ready to be cleaned. (Which I'll probably hold off on until the mainspring and stem have arrived.)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Last edited by rfrazier; 9th November 2014 at 03:04.