closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dive into the original - The new SeaQ

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Looks much better 'in the flesh' than in the professional shots. The aged lume doesnt look so prominent.
    Oof shame about the positioning/size/style of that date, looks at odds/out of sync with the rest of the dial imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    It is when the dial is so unappealing. I can see many taking the plunge on one of these.
    Fine if you don’t like it, but to compare it to a £500 Kickstarter watch is just unintelligent. You can do better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Fine if you don’t like it, but to compare it to a £500 Kickstarter watch is just unintelligent. You can do better than that.
    It's an entirely valid comparison when any number of microbrands have better design values from people who actually understand how Design works.
    That date window alone is disastrous on that watch - looks like a photoshopped-on afterthought in the wrist shots above, and appears crowbarred-in, presumably because the maker can't or won't rework the movement to suit the watch.

Disagreeing on a matter of taste is hardly a sign of low IQ (nor just-cause for resorting to ad-hominems)! Accepting any-old-crap from prestige brands just because they're damned expensive, however...

I Disagree
    First there was no ad hominem as Tony said the comment showed a lack of understanding. The attack was on the comment, not on you.
    Second, you’re fully entitled to prefer a kickstarter project and to compare it with any brand before making your choice. But comparing a kickstarter brand with brands with an heritage, from which they take their inspiration, is disingenuous.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    It's an entirely valid comparison when any number of microbrands have better design values from people who actually understand how Design works.
    That date window alone is disastrous on that watch - looks like a photoshopped-on afterthought in the wrist shots above, and appears crowbarred-in, presumably because the maker can't or won't rework the movement to suit the watch.

Disagreeing on a matter of taste is hardly a sign of low IQ (nor just-cause for resorting to ad-hominems)! Accepting any-old-crap from prestige brands just because they're damned expensive, however...
    Completely irrelevant within the context of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I Disagree
    First there was no ad hominem as Tony said the comment showed a lack of understanding. The attack was on the comment, not on you.
    Second, you’re fully entitled to prefer a kickstarter project and to compare it with any brand before making your choice. But comparing a kickstarter brand with brands with an heritage, from which they take their inspiration, is disingenuous.
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

Glad to hear I wasn't alone in my views of that date window, very discordant, cheap looking. Totally at odds with one of the fundamental usp's of spaffing this kind of cash, at least as far as looks go, on a titivated Vostok.

Master
    The smaller one looks fantastic but the date on the big date version looks stuck on in that picture. As said before these are definitely two to see in the flesh.

Look quite fetching in pics.
    The numerals might encourage a comparison to a Vostok but one has to be really myopic not to see beyond that.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Everything about the outside of the watch leaves me cold - it reminds me of dozens of brass and chrome sixties and seventies 'divers' that are still hanging about for sod all on ebay.

However, the movement is nice and whoever designed that swan's neck regulator needs a raise. Little things like that transcend everything else.

It is actually inspired by Glashutte’s own Spezimatic RP TS 200 from 60s.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Looks much better 'in the flesh' than in the professional shots. The aged lume doesnt look so prominent.
    I think the aged lume is only on the smaller SeaQ version - the Sea Q Panaroma Date (Blue), has white lume whereas the black version has what looks like green lume ..
    The GO website ; https://www.glashuette-original.com/...ist-collection

Regarding the big date - GO have always placed it there, I guess you either like it or don't.. Personally I think either version looks good but I would opt for the Pano Date for that alone plus the great new 100hr movement..

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I think the aged lume is only on the smaller SeaQ version - the Sea Q Panaroma Date (Blue), has white lume whereas the black version has what looks like green lume ..
    The GO website ; https://www.glashuette-original.com/...ist-collection

Regarding the big date - GO have always placed it there, I guess you either like it or don't.. Personally I think either version looks good but I would opt for the Pano Date for that alone plus the great new 100hr movement..
    I found the 44mm version with the pano date is a bit soulless in the flesh tbh. The smaller one just looks better. Shame it's with the older movement.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Everything about the outside of the watch leaves me cold - it reminds me of dozens of brass and chrome sixties and seventies 'divers' that are still hanging about for sod all on ebay.

However, the movement is nice and whoever designed that swan's neck regulator needs a raise. Little things like that transcend everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is actually inspired by Glashutte’s own Spezimatic RP TS 200 from 60s.
    I mean, it can be all these things. However, Vostok looks aside, it does seem they are jumping on Seiko's bandwagon slightly. Also, had anyone heard of the Spezimatic RP TS 200 before 2019? Plenty of people wanted a 62MAS because it was a genuine horological milestone along with the Submariner and others.

On its own merits I kinda like this in the same way that it's among my favourite styles of Amphibia and the quality is obviously there. It's quirky and a bit more interesting than yet another Rolex. Personally though, I prefer the handset to be the Vostok way around. So for that reason and no other, I'll stick to those for now.
    Last edited by robt; 12th February 2020 at 13:49. Reason: punctuation typo

In what way are they jumping on Seiko’s bandwagon??

In what way are they jumping on Seiko’s bandwagon??
    +1. Sorry Robt but your post makes very little sense to me.

It is a handsome watch (non date) and I am sure the build quality is top notch; As it should be for the price.

But the original watch from which it takes inspiration was essentially unremarkable and built with all the cost and manufacturing limitations that were imposed on the countries behind the iron curtain.

As said there are lots of very similar / identical watches to the original on ebay, these watches were sold in the West as cheap waterproof watches. The original has had a bit of a bump in price due to this re release and the name on the dial but I think it’s a bit of a strange starting point when releasing your first divers / retro watch. If it were not for the name they would be languishing on eBay like the rest.

(Pictures from eBay)

So I won’t be buying one, however if a really nice person were so give me one I would not say no (blue no date)

On an aside... does anyone know if the bezels of these would fit the 1982 Royal Navy issued Precista Divers watch? They are very similar...

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    +1. Sorry Robt but your post makes very little sense to me.
    I specifically mentioned the 62MAS reissue, how does that not make sense? There is, in general, a trend among watch companies to issue "vintage inspired" watches of some sort or another aimed at a more upmarket price point than the original. Seiko have done this with some success, more than once, but most notably with the SLA017.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I specifically mentioned the 62MAS reissue, how does that not make sense? There is, in general, a trend among watch companies to issue "vintage inspired" watches of some sort or another aimed at a more upmarket price point than the original. Seiko have done this with some success, more than once, but most notably with the SLA017.
    Lots of companies have done it with a great deal of success. And it is a good thing too.
    Omega, JLC, RADO to name just a few. Seiko is not the first or the only one.

Lots of companies have done it with a great deal of success. And it is a good thing too.
    Exactly - it's an industry trend, not specific to Seiko. I do not think Seiko were the first to jump on the reissue trend.

GO have decided to look at their own back catalog and decided to do something with it - if it was popular or not I think is irrelevant. Reimagining things allows you to do it better - GO have clearly done that here. I do think you can accuse them of is a lack of ambition, but anything else is a harsh and not only levelled at them.

You could add Panerai and Blancpain
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

How have opinions on these changed in the past few months? I would love to get the panodate version but with 6.5" wrists, it's just too large for me.

Has anybody managed to see the 39.5mm version in the flesh recently? Lockdown is making it difficult at the moment, and I'm really torn between the blue and the black. I think the black with non-fauxtina would look better in the long run, so I'm interested in how the blue looks in normal light. If it tends to be darker in hue, then that could be a potential winner in my eyes.

The more I look at these, the more interested I get! High-end divers that are around 40mm a pretty few and far between it seems. And I suspect the price differential between these and the Rolex is actually fairly meaningful (surely around 30% discount can be had on the GO new?).

I don't like it.

Fake lume is as horrible as ever, especially when used in such volume.

Numerals look far too big, although I guess that'll suit some elderly buyers with cataracts...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I don't like it.

Fake lume is as horrible as ever, especially when used in such volume.

Numerals look far too big, although I guess that'll suit some elderly buyers with cataracts...

M
    Out of interest, have you seen it in person? I think fake patina can work quite well on some models and often looks better in person, but it's hard to tell without being able to go into store at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Courboy View Post
    Out of interest, have you seen it in person? I think fake patina can work quite well on some models and often looks better in person, but it's hard to tell without being able to go into store at the moment.
    No, I'll be honest and admit I haven't and I'm the first to acknowledge that over Photoshopped images of watches often does them no favours (although those don't look as badly done as many).

That said, I hate fake aged lume generally (I've had a handful of watches with it and they all left very quickly), so it'd need to look VERY different to win me over.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 6th January 2021 at 10:22.

Master
    The Sea-Q is my 'grail' diver. I'll probably never own one because of the price & my preference is usually chronographs. I do have a SO44 to fulfill that diver need but the SQ is just on another level; and of course that grand date, on a diver is just such a nice, if not unique touch.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

These are really growing on me. I am still not a fan of the large date but I would prefer the larger size. I think the blue is perfect, not too bright but with enough pop to keep it interesting.

Perfect timing, thanks; that's pretty much sold it to me now.

Sure, it only has a 40-hour power reserve, I'm not a fan of the polished center links, and the beautiful GO movement his hidden (although probably fitting for a tool watch), but the whole thing just sings to me. On the plus side, the thickness, overall size, micro-adjustment bracelet, dial, legibility, and simplicity are big selling points for my small wrists (6.75"). Having looked at the FF range and being disappointed at how they wear for me, this is a perfect size.

The difficulty now seems to be finding a good deal on one. 20% off RRP is readily available, although I'm surprised to find much more doesn't seem possible, which is surprising because I would have thought a niche sports watch at a similar price to a submariner (although only if somebody can get one), would be able to see sizeable discounts.

I agree, looks far better.

I like a lot of GOs, but I'm still not sure this does anything aesthetically that a lot of other watches don't.

It still wouldn't be my choice from their range - As someone else said, if you can get a Fifty Fathoms for the same money, you'd need to think at least twice about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Courboy View Post
    20% off RRP is readily available, although I'm surprised to find much more doesn't seem possible, which is surprising because I would have thought a niche sports watch at a similar price to a submariner (although only if somebody can get one), would be able to see sizeable discounts.
    And there's the issue...

To be honest, Rolex insanity aisde, I WOULD take the SeaQ over a Sub as I think you'd get a superior watch, just a shame a display back isn't available as I don't imagine many would actually dive in it.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 6th January 2021 at 10:29.

Master
    yes that looks very nice in blue with the applied markers and no faux lume!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I agree, looks far better.

I like a lot of GOs, but I'm still not sure this does anything aesthetically that a lot of other watches don't.

It still wouldn't be my choice from their range - As someone else said, if you can get a Fifty Fathoms for the same money, you'd need to think at least twice about this.

And there's the issue...

To be honest, Rolex insanity aisde, I WOULD take the SeaQ over a Sub as I think you'd get a superior watch, just a shame a display back isn't available as I don't imagine many would actually dive in it.

M
    I agree with you re. the Fifty Fathoms, however, for somebody like me who will struggle to wear something >41mm, those aren't really an option. As lovely as the Bathyscaphe lineup is, the 38mm iteration just doesn't seem to translate as well. And the 40mm FF seems nigh on impossible to find!

Craftsman
    Anyone got one of these? Interested to hear long term thoughts.

Blog Entries
    I’ve had mine around 5 months , no regrets buying this one .
    The power reserve is really an non issue for me . I’m either wearing it for a few days or if I’m wearing something else 100 hrs wouldn’t be enough anyway.
    Likewise with the solid case back , would be nice but you can’t see it whilst wearing .
    I also have a 40mm Blancpain, this gets more wrist time.
    The bracelet is fantastic, the adjustable clasp is a work of art , the blue of the dial is sensational appearing almost black at times to a sunburst bright blue depending on the light .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    I’ve had mine around 5 months , no regrets buying this one .
    The power reserve is really an non issue for me . I’m either wearing it for a few days or if I’m wearing something else 100 hrs wouldn’t be enough anyway.
    Likewise with the solid case back , would be nice but you can’t see it whilst wearing .
    I also have a 40mm Blancpain, this gets more wrist time.
    The bracelet is fantastic, the adjustable clasp is a work of art , the blue of the dial is sensational appearing almost black at times to a sunburst bright blue depending on the light .

Thanks sounds great. I am considering one of these or a BP if I can pick up a good used one. Sounds like you favour the GO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davide View Post
    A gorgeous watch and perfect size.

I tried one on with a bracelet yesterday. The images aren’t up to Jocke’s.

In relation to price, GO make most of their components in-house and each watch is limited in numbers, so you’re paying for quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think I prefer the no date version :0)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post

Looks similar in a photo but surely differences would be significant in the hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Watchmanuk4 View Post
    Looks similar in a photo but surely differences would be significant in the hand?
    Of course, also in the pocket!

I have to say, I've been resisting buying a Wolbrook for a few months now, they look great in photos.

I'm not a fan of all GO's watches, but these (and especially the grey? one with applied indices) are great looking watches.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 15th February 2022 at 16:04.

Apprentice
    I really want to like this watch, being a huge fan of GO for years, but I just cant get my head around those huge numerals - spoils an otherwise gorgeous watch

For some reason it’s always reminded me of the Prim Orlik watch another I have always wanted to pick up (What with Brexit and covid now not sure that’s an option anymore). This is the one watch where the aged lume works IMO and likewise the closed case back on the smaller version.

As much as I do like the larger big date version the smaller one just seems more “true” to its origins.

I think GO have really done well giving the customer the option of on the one hand a watch that’s true to its origins and on the other the big date version with all the luxury add ons

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    For some reason it’s always reminded me of the Prim Orlik watch another I have always wanted to pick up (What with Brexit and covid now not sure that’s an option anymore). This is the one watch where the aged lume works IMO and likewise the closed case back on the smaller version.

As much as I do like the larger big date version the smaller one just seems more “true” to its origins.

I think GO have really done well giving the customer the option of on the one hand a watch that’s true to its origins and on the other the big date version with all the luxury add ons
    I wish the big date version was smaller, not sure it will sit well on my wrist unfortunately.

I might spare the wallet a little and go for an Aquatimer 3536 or 3548 to fill my diver shaped hole . Decisions decisions.

Dive into the original - The new SeaQ

I really liked the Green version but when trying it on I didn’t feel the quality matched the price tag. It just didn’t feel like a GO.

I own other GOs, PanoReserve and a Sixties both on straps to be fair but even though the price was up there on the SeaQuest, I felt the bracelet wasn’t great in its build quality and the date wheel seemed a bit basic for an 8k watch!

I then tried the large date version and that was totally different. That felt like a GO with a solid build quality. You would not believe these two watches where made by the same company!

Size wise the large date was a nice match to my 19cm wrist. Just a shame it doesn’t come in the green.
    Last edited by paw3001; 15th February 2022 at 19:16.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I really liked the Green version but when trying it on I didn’t feel the quality matched the price tag. It just didn’t feel like a GO.

I own other GO and even the prices was up there I felt the bracelet wasn’t great in its build quality and the date wheel seemed off for an 8k watch!

I then tried the large date and that was totally different. That felt like a GO with a solid build quality. You would believe these two watches where made by the same company!

Size wise the large date was a nice match to my 19cm wrist. Just a shame it doesn’t come in the green.
    Some sobering words there.

Blog Entries
    Here’s the thing, in todays world 7-8k isn’t really a premium luxury watch price tag .
    Omegas and Zenith’s are 7-8k ,it’s just the way the watch world has gone the last few years .
    I own one so I’m biased, but I also own some Rolex and Blancpain amongst others , I stick by my earlier opinions and would judge the SEAQ favourably against any similarly priced Rolex .
    The 39mm wears well and close to the wrist , the larger size may well be a better fit for the larger wrist and with a nicer movement and sapphire case back but I see no visible difference in the build quantity on the case , dial or bracelet between this and the panoramic.
    Also the panoramic is an extra 4 k .
    Agree the reed green is very nice , probably one of the only green dials I would consider buying.

Dive into the original - The new SeaQ

Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    Here’s the thing, in todays world 7-8k isn’t really a premium luxury watch price tag .
    Omegas and Zenith’s are 7-8k ,it’s just the way the watch world has gone the last few years .
    I own one so I’m biased, but I also own some Rolex and Blancpain amongst others , I stick by my earlier opinions and would judge the SEAQ favourably against any similarly priced Rolex .
    The 39mm wears well and close to the wrist , the larger size may well be a better fit for the larger wrist and with a nicer movement and sapphire case back but I see no visible difference in the build quantity on the case , dial or bracelet between this and the panoramic.
    Also the panoramic is an extra 4 k .
    Agree the reed green is very nice , probably one of the only green dials I would consider buying.
    I would generally agree with you but the movement in the GO SeaQuest is rather old and basic compared to the movements in similarly priced Rolex, Omega and Zeniths you mention.

Just goes to show you have to try on a watch and everyone has different feelings when trying and buying.

Blog Entries
    Yes , agree they should have made improvements there and added the sapphire case back .
    would have been almost perfect 👍🏻