Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post

Anyone who habitually sneers at microbrands should take a close look at the details of this watch - especially things like the multiple, polished facets of the hands and applied indices. That's a lot of difficult machine work for something many won't even notice...

By contrast, earlier I was looking at Cartier's latest 'Tortue' incarnations - I like them very much, but up close they have Cartier's usual very simple hands and dials - the hands are pressed from sheet metal, and the dials for the YG version are simply pad-printed, i.e. exactly the same way your golf balls get their logos! Nothing wrong with it, it's incredibly accurate nowadays, but it's hilariously cheap and easy to do.

The Cartier cases, too, are exceptionally simple and rather clumsily proportioned, albeit also a slightly awkward shape to machine... You do get a precious metal case, and of course an artificial gemstone set into the crown (the sort of stunt that would attract tremendous derision if a microbrand had done it first!) - and that'll be £50,000 please.

Obviously the Erebus gets a stainless steel case, and a very basic movement - but one well regarded for robustness and capable of to-the-second calibration with a bit of patience. Zero brag-factor of course...

If the Chinese ever get as good at marketing and advertising as the Swiss, then the latter will be in a LOT of trouble...