closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bored Bored Bored

Hybrid View

Master
    Have you thought about parachuting? For me it was a toss up between this and scuba diving, for me scuba was more practical and probably a bit cheaper.With regards to the parachuting I ultimately wanted to do free fall then onto base jumping.
    The diving lasted about 15 years, at the same time I was heavily into high end audio, 30 years to be exact and all that has now gone.
    I have always had an interest in watches from about 8, but only started to collect them in the last few years, I'm lucky in the way I don't hanker for expensive watches anymore, as I've done all that and vintage isn't my thing either.
    I am learning new things all the time on this forum, and it's great to see people with a passion for watches.
    These days my tastes are simple I'm more than happy going fell walking or mountain biking in the lake district.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Have you tried scuba diving?
    This is whats currently taking up all my time and money, So much so that I am thinking of shifting on a few of my watches to enable more Diving toys and courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Not a bad idea ... sold my old electric guitar ( anyone remember the "Marlin" Stratocaster copies ? ) about 25 years ago but could be tempted to pick one up again. Would doubtless amuse my kids if nothing else
    I think you could get something a bit better than a Marlin nowadays.

Go on, give it a go. Quite a few players on here.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Bored again. Too bored to start a new topic. Suggestions ? Not watches, cameras or cars. Nor hats, just so we're clear.
    Golf /equipment,got a garage full of the stuff!

Master
    Cage fighting Paul. You'll be too terrified to be bored.

Banned
    Try Aikido.

theres an amusing book by Robert Twigger called Angry White Pyjamas which describes his year of intensive Aikido training with the Japanese riot police - that might be a bit extreme and all in but taking up a martial art is an interesting diversion and something I found especially useful when living in more remote places.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Try Aikido.

theres an amusing book by Robert Twigger called Angry White Pyjamas which describes his year of intensive Aikido training with the Japanese riot police - that might be a bit extreme and all in but taking up a martial art is an interesting diversion and something I found especially useful when living in more remote places.
    Good book, enjoyed it. Funnily enough there's a place that trains aikido round the corner from where I work but I don't have the time to get into that at the moment.

Bored Bored Bored

If you intend to get into guitar again, home studio technology has really advanced to the point where you can do practically anything with a laptop and a good audio interface? Maybe combine guitar with a bit of tech and learn GarageBand or Ableton Live? Hours of fun there....

Haha ! I think that's the book I had ! Very floppy 45RPM "tuning" record inside, almost impossible to use.

Am currently getting into Rare old Cigars... not much cheaper than watches sadly.

Haha ! I think that's the book I had ! Very floppy 45RPM "tuning" record inside, almost impossible to use.
    That's the one!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

The Komehyo online store does turn up some interesting Seiko and Citizen stuff, though even with the help of Google Translate I have found the ordering process to be impenetrable.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 18th April 2017 at 09:29.

Allow yourself to get into debt, then stop paying. That'll liven things up for you.
    Gray

At the risk of sounding like a monumental old fart, have you tried gardening?

I've been a gardening obsessive for over twenty years, and there's such enormous variety in plants, garden design, growing for food, houseplants, blah blah blah, I've found the interest stays ever-strong.

Growing things is fundamentally simple, but immensely complex in its details - a four dimensional puzzle and an aesthetic treat.

I've just had a succulent on my bedroom windowsill burst into flower for the first time in about ten years for no apparent reason, and the pleasure derived from this simple occurrence is really something special.

Sorry, I'll get back to my crossword...

Craftsman
    I am not bored, but sated. After much looking I realise that there is no grail, and I only have one wrist.

As few as possible to cover my variations of activity, mood and dress and I'm sorted. My 337 and SBGX063 are all I really need. I'll keep my Sinn 103 Ti for holidays, sports and really rough stuff, and the rest will go.

If I wanted to pare it back to one watch to do it all, I'd choose a PO or 14060, but I love watches too much to only have one.

Quote Originally Posted by paul.in.kendal View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a monumental old fart, have you tried gardening?

I've been a gardening obsessive for over twenty years, and there's such enormous variety in plants, garden design, growing for food, houseplants, blah blah blah, I've found the interest stays ever-strong.

Growing things is fundamentally simple, but immensely complex in its details - a four dimensional puzzle and an aesthetic treat.

I've just had a succulent on my bedroom windowsill burst into flower for the first time in about ten years for no apparent reason, and the pleasure derived from this simple occurrence is really something special.

Sorry, I'll get back to my crossword...

Paul is far wiser in his choice of hobby than I...but...

Have you tried Women.

I've been admiring them for (somewhat over) 40 years now. They come in an enormous variety of shapes sizes colours blah blah blah and my interest is ever-strong.

Women are fundamentally simply but amazing complex in the details - a four dimensional puzzle and an aesthetic treat.
    I've just had a women in my bedroom burst with joy for the first time in about ten years and I have no idea what I did differently. I hope I in turn derive some special pleasure for this simple occurrence.

Sorry, I'll get back to Sudoku

Master
    Buy a Jeep Wrangler and don't look back...Enjoy the fun of trail rides

Its a money pit with all the add ons
    Last edited by jk103; 11th September 2014 at 02:08. Reason: added wording

Gardening ... I quite like it, but I live in Tokyo where a garden is only for billionaires, and I've some way to go before that. Maybe next year

Women ... see comment about billionaires, I need more funding to invest properly in that area

Jeep ... I do fancy one, but would probably get the Toyota Landcruiser 70. However, I said no cars ! Tokyo again, there's no point. I owned a Merc for a while. I did 600Km in a year, and averaged 11Km/hour. There are better ways to get around here.

Something that doesn't involve looking at a screen, I reckon. Guitar is looking possible. Maybe also piano. Again, played once upon a time but have little remaining skill. Could get into that, simple jazz maybe, if that's not a contradiction in terms.

Paul

I'm bored again. Too much time (BYOP™ - Bring Your Own Pun) spent on the forum and chasing/musing over watches. One seems to beget the other. Time to cut back on one, or go full Seffrican and cut both. Might just wear this one forever as long as I can hold out:

Chosen only because its what I'm wearing now. Must not overthink this. It's just a watch.

See how long I last.

Yours determinedly

TT

Master
    There may be an economic cycle at work here, combined with a trend cycle. It’s a bad time to sell, and an even worse time to buy. It’s not a great year for brands to innovate either, unless they’re catering for the super rich. Vintage watches are starting to just look like old watches again, instead of interesting and original style statements. Due to the insane proliferation of glossy online watch sites, we’ve seen them all now. They were interesting in the first place because they came from decades that were looking forwards, not backwards. Most new watches look like weird cartoons of these old watches. I rarely feel that rush of blood when a new model comes out, reminding me why I liked watches in the first place, the last one being the GS hand wound white birch at W&W, the only watch of interest this year. However it doesn’t feel like a particularly sensible use of £10k. Selling three very nice watches to buy one simply doesn’t add up. There’s no other grail I’m lusting after, and the only obvious choice would be too expensive to wear out without being in fear for your life. I’ve no regrets as everything I’ve bought over the years has been beautiful and turned out to be a relative bargain, you could even argue that certain watches were free if bought at the right moment, a completely guilt free indulgence. But there’s nothing that fits that description now. If one of my friends spent a small fortune on a current luxury watch from a boutique, I’d probably think they’d gone mad.

Things may change as they inevitably do with economic boom and bust cycles, when there’s money in pockets and the value of collections is rising, things can look very different. But it’s not clear if the new energy will be in watches, or something else. I don’t consider this a hobby, more of an interest, a pastime, or perhaps a particularly deep retail therapy rabbit hole. Whatever it is, it functions better when prices are rising, presenting opportunities to consolidate, and buy something new and fascinating. Clearly those aren’t the conditions right now, it seems a better time to enjoy what you have, than chase after the next expensive dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    [some excellent points]...
    it seems a better time to enjoy what you have, than chase after the next expensive dream.
    Indeed. I do wonder if the "cycle" though will repeat. It would need some new enthusiastic fans, ones not solely interested in the Instatokfacetube investment angle, to get aboard to replace us old, tired and bored "collectors" or hobbyists or whatever we are. There was a generation who enjoyed asset inflation, low interest rates, decent jobs (in suits!) and relative peace, enough conditions to fan the flames. I am not sure I see it lasting beyond the very niche interest level in the future.

Blog Entries
    We (need) ones solely interested in the Instatokfacetube investment angle, to get aboard to replace us old, tired and bored "collectors" or hobbyists or whatever we are..
    FTFY

Sadly onboarding is closed here at the moment so this forum will slowly die off like a withering apple tree until only a stump remains.

gosh I feel happy today !
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th May 2024 at 12:47.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Lots of watch companies seem to think there's a pandemic lockdown still underway with its spike in demand for their goods, and are continuing to elevate their prices accordingly.

At the same time, few of them seem to think they need to innovate or add value to their products - some seem to think their price rises are a good time to offer a bit less by shifting their budget offerings up to a higher price band...

Add to that most of the mainstream watch media are obsessed with a handful of the most predictable 'prestige' brands - you know, the ones that just move the slider bar on the dial colour setting once a year and then spend seven-figures advertising the "Exciting New Colourway!" to the squealing adulation of the Faithful...

Meanwhile used prices are dropping no matter how hard vested interests insist they are not, locking those who have budget limits / self-control into a corner.

Plus the old currant-bun is putting-in its very British 2-day shift in before it gets its head down for another fortnight...

Seems the right time to be a bit bored with watches.

Master
    Start obsessing about the need to remove Arsene Wenger from Arsenal, let your anger and obsession build. Every day fill your life with it. You'll never be bored and will probably have 10 more years of it unless he pops his clogs. It will fill up your time believe me!

Bored Bored Bored

Shamefully apprehending the TZ-UK disciples with this update to my tale of watch-related cross bearing. For, topically, TT has risen once more!

Well, barely, but at my age one takes comfort in rising once, let alone again.

Paul
    Enjoyed this post and nice to see a Pacifica- you really can't go wrong with one of those. My first guitar was an Argos special, I swear the strings were an inch off the fretboard so when I bought a Pacifica it was heaven; they're so nice to play. I'd suggest updating the pickups and the amp initially, instead of upgrading the guitar, when the time comes.
    Last edited by Thom4711; 17th April 2017 at 11:45.

Blog Entries
    Skx boxed for £35? Where you feeling ok ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm feeling your pain TT, you need to take a deep breath, focus and buy more watches. It's the future.
    Last edited by geoffcotton; 17th April 2017 at 13:49.

Is there quartz vs mechanical snobbery in the world of guitars ?
    Acoustic vs Electric?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Is there quartz vs mechanical snobbery in the world of guitars ? Acoustic vs Electric?
    Neck-through versus bolt-on.

Well I can identify strongly with TT our OP having been through all the same obsessions and even lived in the same place.

Cars: Caterham Porsche etc.. was a strong theme until I lived in Japan and that put that to bed for many years.

Then a 30 year music and hifi obsession was seriously reignited in Tokyo. Too much access to vintage vinyl replay gear and just plain gear everywhere you look. I went a bit mental back there and reached a bit of a zenith but eventually got bored.

Then rediscovered photography with so much to take photo's of in Japan. And so much gear! That was a pretty big Nikon and Fuji sized hole to fall down. Then bored.

Then watches. A chance intro to a watch collection was all I needed to kick off this particular obsession. TOO MUCH EASY ACCESS in Tokyo. When I visit (often) the easy access sends me into some kind of mental drug induced shopper.

First thing first. Sushi. Very important. Mustn't do shopping on an empty stomach and I'm usually desperate for the stuff (I won't eat it outside of Japan as life's too short for crap Sushi right?). Then hit Shinjuku. Hard. Yodobashi for the latest Seiko's, across the road to Map Camera and GMT and maybe around the corner to Lemon (Do I really still want 6x9?). Then meander off to Komehyo for a mega score via many places I forget the names of (probably also via Audio Union if I'm feeling nostalgic). Nakano Broadway next for some old Seiko hunting, Jack Road, Kamekichi, that headphone shop, another Sushi and Asahi top up before a mad dash off to Shibuya. Oh my, I love Shibuya for the happy memories of living there but mainly for Housekihiroba, basement of Bookoff, Recofan and Daikokuya. Finally a quick run around Tokyu Hands for some curiosities for wife and kids then back to hotel to store the swag before I have to get my game face on and do some work and meetings and stuff. The rest of the week being characterised by sneak peaks under the cuff at whatever floosie landed on there this time. And sore feet.

I'm convinced the root of your problem is Tokyo itself. It doesn't matter what the subject/hobby is. Tokyo is capable of catering for it in the greatest possible depth and is a city full of enormous rabbit holes to fall down.

I miss the place enormously but in some ways I am actually glad I don't live there anymore. Too much easy access!

I'll be in Nagoya Wed-Fri this week. 'Watch' this space...
    Last edited by fordy964; 17th April 2017 at 17:22.

I bought my 4th lens for my Nikon yesterday- have my eye on a 5th and a new body.

Get obsessed with stuff - not I !

Master
    A philosopher once remarked that ' inner sensations stand in need of outward criteria.' The watches/audio/guitars/whatever are the outward criteria, I would guess that the 'inner sensation' here is a kind of emptiness. It may just be part of the Human condition, as indeed, might be boredom.
    I doubt that any of it matters. A walk in the sun cures most things . Or a walk in the rain come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    [...]I'm convinced the root of your problem is Tokyo itself. It doesn't matter what the subject/hobby is. Tokyo is capable of catering for it in the greatest possible depth and is a city full of enormous rabbit holes to fall down.
    Had fun reading your post. Those places are all too familiar to me! I'd add Shibuya Kusumoto only for completeness, as I'm sure you know it. It is where most of my used watches get recycled. I live a few minutes walk away, which makes sating horological desires rather too easy. I've pondered before on the effect of scarcity.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    [...]thanks again for recommending the SBDW005 - its now my signature watch
    It is an excellent watch. I sold my Ohba limited edition one, but kept the SBDW005 which I had serviced last year. It will not be going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    A philosopher once remarked that ' inner sensations stand in need of outward criteria.'
    A man's reach should exceed his grasp, as Browning sagely noted. But when everything is within easy reach...

Paul
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 17th April 2017 at 23:53.

Had fun reading your post. Those places are all too familiar to me! I'd add Shibuya Kusumoto only for completeness, as I'm sure you know it. It is where most of my used watches get recycled. I live a few minutes walk away, which makes sating horological desires rather too easy.
    I don't know that one at all, and never heard mention of it before. I didn't frequent that side of Shibuya so much as we lived behind Bunkamura. I'll be hitting that place up next trip for sure! Their watches looks to be very well priced and appear to move quite quickly so it's one of those places where you never know what you are going to find on the day. The most exciting kind.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    A philosopher once remarked that ' inner sensations stand in need of outward criteria.' The watches/audio/guitars/whatever are the outward criteria, I would guess that the 'inner sensation' here is a kind of emptiness. It may just be part of the Human condition, as indeed, might be boredom.
    I doubt that any of it matters. A walk in the sun cures most things . Or a walk in the rain come to that.
    You don't consider your watches as 'proper' friends then?

I know this isn’t the point of the thread but the term colourway makes me want to stab someone.

"Colourway" = +20% on the price

Stabbing's too good for 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I know this isn’t the point of the thread but the term colourway makes me want to stab someone.
    Agreed, it makes me cringe like when classic car dealers describe a green car with beige interior as 'green over tan' - pretentious as hell

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    But do you have that form factor in that colourway?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Right, as it seems to be some kind of ritual after being on this forum for a while, I too would like to inform you, in anticipation of your obvious eager interest, that I'm bored of watches. Not the forum. Watches.

You can almost fill in the rest from any of the previous posts on this. Buy watch, wear it, take pic, buy another, put one in the box, read about a different one, buy another, sell one, take more pics, buy strap, write watch-related nonsense, buy strap, sell watch, buy another, keep empty boxes and bubble wrap around "just in case", read watch-related nonsense. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Bored bored bored. "Basel" ? About as interested as I am in the latest photocopier models. It's not a hobby, it's a waste of time.

Paul
    Digits on a banking page are more boring

I can relate with the OP’s sentiment.

I’m also a bit bored.

I’ve got a few nice pieces, entry level offerings from mid tier Swiss brands like omega, IWC. A couple of higher end models from entry level Swiss like Longines and TAG. I don’t feel compelled to go higher up the luxury ladder and spend more money, yet I find the lower end stuff unexciting.

I’m a bit done with Seiko prospex, I wish there was something a bit higher end that wasn’t 44mm+. G-shocks are all the same, I’ve tried countless microbrands, none of them stick. I’ve worked out Damasko and Sinn aren’t for me. I’m over the retro look so Doxa and other cushion cases are out.

I don’t have a diver so I tried on a planet ocean and a Breitling superocean heritage, they both left me a bit cold.

I don’t know, it feels like I’m moping around looking for excitement

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I can relate with the OP’s sentiment.

I’m also a bit bored.

I’ve got a few nice pieces, entry level offerings from mid tier Swiss brands like omega, IWC. A couple of higher end models from entry level Swiss like Longines and TAG. I don’t feel compelled to go higher up the luxury ladder and spend more money, yet I find the lower end stuff unexciting.

I’m a bit done with Seiko prospex, I wish there was something a bit higher end that wasn’t 44mm+. G-shocks are all the same, I’ve tried countless microbrands, none of them stick. I’ve worked out Damasko and Sinn aren’t for me. I’m over the retro look so Doxa and other cushion cases are out.

I don’t have a diver so I tried on a planet ocean and a Breitling superocean heritage, they both left me a bit cold.

I don’t know, it feels like I’m moping around looking for excitement
    Oh, how your remarks resonates for me.
    My only saving grace is this beauty that keeps my interest alive, recent incoming.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I'm not bored. Prices are dropping and that is a good thing. It means I can gradually afford more and more watches that I previously wanted but was priced out of. Nothing amazing like Rolex/PP/whatever -- just vintage Seikos!

It also seems to me that this is an opportunity to re-find that fascination with 'cheap' and simple watches. Certainly, Time Factors and burgeoning new Chinese brands are leading the way with this.