closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 173 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: More bike related stuff

Hybrid View

Master
    I’ve fallen off outside the garage when bike was due it’s first MOT :(

I’m putting that down to a diesel or oil spill but bike was perfect when I set off and I was only sat on it to save pushing it out of the parking space.

Didn’t know if to laugh or cry (I cried, like a baby).

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post

Second time was sat in my garage. Wheeled the bike away from the ground anchor and put it on the stand. Got on and somehow dropped it when taking it off the stand.
    I remember being told by a veteran biker when showing them one of my bikes that was oddly parked in the garage “always approach a bike from the sidestand side” it makes good sense.

I don’t remember my low speed drops but definitely had a couple as I was getting used to things and I remember one of my friends dropping an almost brand new 1100 who was a very experienced biker so weight and circumstances can catch anyone out. As I said if my jeans hadn’t torn I would have fallen as I simply couldn’t put my foot down but the bike had gone past the point of no return.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I remember being told by a veteran biker when showing them one of my bikes that was oddly parked in the garage “always approach a bike from the sidestand side” it makes good sense.

I don’t remember my low speed drops but definitely had a couple (and a few near misses) as I was getting used to things and I remember one of my friends dropping an almost brand new 1100 who was a very experienced biker so weight and circumstances can catch anyone out. As I said if my jeans hadn’t torn I would have fallen as I simply couldn’t put my foot down but the bike had gone past the point of no return.

That Guzzi is really rather tasty.

I might have to have a look at one of them.....

Cheers,
    Adam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    It’s always worth remembering that you can take an inch or more out of most seats and still maintain comfort of you are on the shorter side

RIAC

If you are looking at the MG then I would take a look at a Harley Iron (which has mid controls).

Low seat height and while they are no MT-07, they are surprisingly easy to ride as weight is all low down.

Good luck with the test etc

Short of leg you say? Eureka!

Tony, please continue to browse all the bikes that fit your aesthetic requirements but by all means DO NOT make your mind up. On any. Don’t even discard the marginal ones.
    As a previous poster stated, 2 feet flat down is reassuring but not compulsory, and a wide saddle at the right height and you’ll still struggle with the 2 feet flat down.
    But more importantly a motorcycle is first and foremost a ride; since you seem set on the riding position/style you want, the engine will make the difference.
    You will be amazed at the difference in character between the different engines. Some may feel bland, others can be smooth or brutal.
    This is what will guide you in the end. So don’t commit before having ridden the whole shortlist.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Tony, please continue to browse all the bikes that fit your aesthetic requirements but by all means DO NOT make your mind up. On any. Don’t even discard the marginal ones.
    As a previous poster stated, 2 feet flat down is reassuring but not compulsory, and a wide saddle at the right height and you’ll still struggle with the 2 feet flat down.
    But more importantly a motorcycle is first and foremost a ride; since you seem set on the riding position/style you want, the engine will make the difference.
    You will be amazed at the difference in character between the different engines. Some may feel bland, others can be smooth or brutal.
    This is what will guide you in the end. So don’t commit before having ridden the whole shortlist.
    Noted and completely understood.

Not forgetting that with more and more bikes coming with selectable engine modes, it's possible that the same bike could feel any of bland, smooth or brutal depending on the setting you choose.

Craftsman
    I did my learning and test on a Yamaha XJ6 and was not a big fan – it just wasn't comfortable enough. Then I got hands on the the riding school's MT-07, and I loved it. However, it was a tad too rowdy at the lower end, and it just didn't feel like the best choice for me as my first big bike.

I passed my test and bought a CB500F, and it was a fun, reliable, and safe bike the year I had it – really a great first bike. Then the time came for a change, and I seriously considered the CB500X. It's a really cool, very comfortable, reliable, and fun bike. But something else had caught my eye – the CMX500 Rebel.

As soon as I laid eyes on it I just knew that I wanted to try it, and as soon as I did I knew I had to have it. I've had mine for just over a month, and it's a fantastic bike. Supremely comfortable, which I didn't think it would be, surprisingly fun and nimble, and a great bike for the price and engine size. It puts a smile on my face every day, and I can't recommend it enough.

Yeah, there are more exciting, powerful, cooler bikes, but the Rebel shouldn't be ignore if that's the style and riding style you think you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by famyklebust View Post
    I did my learning and test on a Yamaha XJ6 and was not a big fan – it just wasn't comfortable enough. Then I got hands on the the riding school's MT-07, and I loved it. However, it was a tad too rowdy at the lower end, and it just didn't feel like the best choice for me as my first big bike.

I passed my test and bought a CB500F, and it was a fun, reliable, and safe bike the year I had it – really a great first bike. Then the time came for a change, and I seriously considered the CB500X. It's a really cool, very comfortable, reliable, and fun bike. But something else had caught my eye – the CMX500 Rebel.

As soon as I laid eyes on it I just knew that I wanted to try it, and as soon as I did I knew I had to have it. I've had mine for just over a month, and it's a fantastic bike. Supremely comfortable, which I didn't think it would be, surprisingly fun and nimble, and a great bike for the price and engine size. It puts a smile on my face every day, and I can't recommend it enough.

Yeah, there are more exciting, powerful, cooler bikes, but the Rebel shouldn't be ignore if that's the style and riding style you think you're after.
    Funnily enough, both the CB500R and CMX500 are on my longer shortlist. I’m still going to try to get in them for a test ride, and appreciate your feedback.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Use your time wisely. Find out whats good about the bike and what you like, and just as importantly, whats not good and what you dont like. Real life experiences will be valuable when you come to choose your next ride. As previous folk have said, dont discount a bike you may like because of its engine size, bigger doesnt always mean faster and more powerful. Also I get that being able to put both feet flat on the ground is an advantage, but dont say no to a bike if you can only sort of put one foot down with the bike slightly leaning. Not ideal but its a small sacrifice to pay to get what may be a much better bike overall, you will soon get used to it anyways.

Ride safe.

Stuart

Precisely. Therefore, not having these electronic aids is good.

Oh, got it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Oh, got it
    Tony its not a criticism, it the list of things that bikes get bunged on them these days which de sentisize the owner from the real world. Just like ABS on a car. On some of the soooper top end bikes they need wheelie control, abs mid corner , electronic suspension adjustment ESA .

Dont be bothered just enjoy your new bike and as they used to say “Be carefull out there”

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Tony its not a criticism, it the list of things that bikes get bunged on them these days which de sentisize the owner from the real world. Just like ABS on a car. On some of the soooper top end bikes they need wheelie control, abs mid corner , electronic suspension adjustment ESA .

Dont be bothered just enjoy your new bike and as they used to say “Be carefull out there”
    That would be Sergeant Phil Esterhaus in the Hill Street Blues who used to finish each tam briefing with the words "Hey! Lets Be Careful Out There" Great Series.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Re diesel, its usually shed on roundabouts by buses or hgv’s that have overfilled. If you hit a fresh patch when leaning over no aids gonna save you because 9 times out of 10 the front wheel will wash out. By the time it bites again its too late anyways.

Re traction control and abs, both useful no matter what the size or power of the bike, especially when there may be gravel on the road, or you need to brake sharpish in the wet.

Other aids are also useful imo. My S1000RR has a quickshifter for example. I know racers use these, but tbh I love it just riding round normally. Also cornering abs, useful for someone with way more ability than me, but if I ever have to brake hard unexpectedly on a corner it could poss be a lifesaver. Nothing to do with me not being experienced but as we all know, sh!t happens when least expected.

Stuart

I have been reading this thread with massive interest. That street scrambler looks lovely. This has all got me thinking that I might need to look at my current watch to bike ratio... bikes currently at zero! I look forward to reading more and seeing where it takes you. One thing that I need to consider is the pillion, my wife won’t get on anything that doesn’t have something to stop her coming of the back and pretty much insists on a sissy bar type thing... not sure if that’s a consideration for most? I know I could just leave her at home but I’ve been there and done that and want something that can accommodate both of us without too much fettling as I don’t like the look of them when riding alone. I’m quite liking the look of the new Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster but haven’t done any real research.

Good luck with your quest... exciting times.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I have been reading this thread with massive interest. That street scrambler looks lovely. This has all got me thinking that I might need to look at my current watch to bike ratio... bikes currently at zero! I look forward to reading more and seeing where it takes you. One thing that I need to consider is the pillion, my wife won’t get on anything that doesn’t have something to stop her coming of the back and pretty much insists on a sissy bar type thing... not sure if that’s a consideration for most? I know I could just leave her at home but I’ve been there and done that and want something that can accommodate both of us without too much fettling as I don’t like the look of them when riding alone. I’m quite liking the look of the new Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster but haven’t done any real research.

Good luck with your quest... exciting times.

There's definitely after-market for the Bonneville range about - I can't see any OEM, though. (It's not such an issue for me, as Bea's very unlikely to get on the back!)

Edit: Actually, here's an OEM one, although I'm not sure what bikes it will fit:

Glad you're enjoying the thread
    Last edited by learningtofly; 28th August 2018 at 08:45.

Master
    If you are looking for naked retro Tony I sat on a Moto Guzzi V9 roamer at the weekend and it is one gorgeous bike.
    I recently bought a 40 year old Suzuki GS 550 to get back into riding but next year the MG is mine. What a bike!

Quote Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
    If you are looking for naked retro Tony I sat on a Moto Guzzi V9 roamer at the weekend and it is one gorgeous bike.
    I recently bought a 40 year old Suzuki GS 550 to get back into riding but next year the MG is mine. What a bike!

I do have the V7 as a potential test ride, actually, as mentioned earlier in the thread. The MGs are lovely looking things for sure - I'll pop over and have a look at the V9 now, though.

Edit: Actually, it's the V7 III Stone that's the most likely candidate for me. Quite light, a relatively low saddle and very understated. The only thing I'll need to look at properly is whether the confoguarion of the V-twin engine makes it wider than I want... it certainly looks beautiful, though.

I think the test ride shortlist is looking like this, then...

Triumph Street Twin , T100 and Street Scrambler
    Ducati Scrambler Icon or Street Classic
    Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
    Yamaha MT-07 (just to try something less retro)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 28th August 2018 at 12:16.

Master
    I do have the V7 as a potential test ride, actually. The MGs are lovely looking things for sure - I'll pop over and have a look at the V9 now, though.
    I had a look at the V7 as well, a much chunkier, heavier bike. I’d suggest the V9 would be an easier ride. Last years colours could be had at a very good discount too.

Master
    Thought you’d like to see my mates model Bonny.... he’s done loads 86bhp, big bore, uprated forks brakes etc etc...
    he found a pic from the 60’s of a Triumph TT special and tried to replicate it...

It was featured here
    http://www.bonnefication.com/hinckley-tt/

And here’s an original...

More bike related stuff

I had my heart set on a Scrambler but it disappointed on the test drive.
    I went for the Bonneville Spirit as I preferred the ride much more...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Hi Tony,

Just found this thread. So I sound a few months ahead of you. I did my CBT May 17, owned a YBR for a year, did my DA this April and just bought my first big bike - a 2013 triumph street triple 675 R.

I absolutely love the retro looking bikes, just look so classic and cool. This video about the bonneville’s quite funny (https://youtu.be/RsKFsce5phw) and his comment about not wanting something that looks like a jet ski really resonates... also liked the look of the w800 he has a cracking video on.

DA was on an MT-07, and I was pretty nervous about it being 5 times the size of the YBR and starting in rush hour Vauxhall. It was really easy to ride and wasn’t intimidating at all. But while very solid and everything, it didn’t excite me riding it, and I was a bit worried the retros would be the same.

Friend at work recommended a street triple, and knows someone with a pristine red 2011 one. I was pretty smitten, but the more I thought about it, I just couldn’t justify no ABS to myself. So last week I bought this beauty and finally was able to take it out last night for a good hour around central London, I absolutely love it - really easy to ride but feels exciting, it always wants to go faster.

It’s not where I thought I’d end up, but I’m very happy to be here! Good luck with your search, I’ll be interested to see how you get on

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Hi Tony,

Just found this thread. So I sound a few months ahead of you. I did my CBT May 17, owned a YBR for a year, did my DA this April and just bought my first big bike - a 2013 triumph street triple 675 R.

I absolutely love the retro looking bikes, just look so classic and cool. This video about the bonneville’s quite funny (https://youtu.be/RsKFsce5phw) and his comment about not wanting something that looks like a jet ski really resonates... also liked the look of the w800 he has a cracking video on.

DA was on an MT-07, and I was pretty nervous about it being 5 times the size of the YBR and starting in rush hour Vauxhall. It was really easy to ride and wasn’t intimidating at all. But while very solid and everything, it didn’t excite me riding it, and I was a bit worried the retros would be the same.

Friend at work recommended a street triple, and knows someone with a pristine red 2011 one. I was pretty smitten, but the more I thought about it, I just couldn’t justify no ABS to myself. So last week I bought this beauty and finally was able to take it out last night for a good hour around central London, I absolutely love it - really easy to ride but feels exciting, it always wants to go faster.

[IMG]...[/IMG]

It’s not where I thought I’d end up, but I’m very happy to be here! Good luck with your search, I’ll be interested to see how you get on
    Fantastic - gorgeous bike, and I hope you enjoy every minute on it.

Interesting that you were tested on an MT; my school uses Suzuki (SV and Gladius) but both felt pretty comfortable when i sat on them. I do have three days intensive training on them before my MOD 1, so I'm hoping I'm very familiar with them by the time I go on the road for my MOD 2.

How demanding did you find your MOD 2?

(not trying to influence LTF - who has very good reasons for his criteria )

But - this shows the capabilities of the R1200r (and a quick rider - albeit, there are a couple of questionable manoeuvres)

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    (not trying to influence LTF - who has very good reasons for his criteria )

But - this shows the capabilities of the R1200r (and a quick rider - albeit, there are a couple of questionable manoeuvres)

not really quick at all, its also going to cost a fortune in new pegs as you can hear them grinding away everytime it goes round a corner :) , if you want a BMW for the twistys get a 1000r or any other of the super nakeds.

OP if you end up with the triumph make sure you join the triumph RAT forums - lots of usful info there
    https://www.triumphrat.net/forum.php

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    not really quick at all, its also going to cost a fortune in new pegs as you can hear them grinding away everytime it goes round a corner :) , if you want a BMW for the twistys get a 1000r or any other of the super nakeds.
    Sorry - I thought he was a quick rider, and that bike's low down torque certainly helps out of the hairpins. The R is also the better all-rounder compared to any of the naked-multis - range, comfort, luggage-carrying.

Craftsman
    Fantastic - gorgeous bike, and I hope you enjoy every minute on it.

Interesting that you were tested on an MT; my school uses Suzuki (SV and Gladius) but both felt pretty comfortable when i sat on them. I do have three days intensive training on them before my MOD 1, so I'm hoping I'm very familiar with them by the time I go on the road for my MOD 2.

How demanding did you find your MOD 2?
    Thanks - just survived ride 3!

I imagine you'll be on the road pre-Mod 1 - maybe they're a bit more budget, but my school basically just found quiet roads/car parks to practice the manoeuvres on, all of which we rode to (starting at Vauxhall). After initially being fine, the more I practised my u-turn the worse I got so was very nervous about that, but passed.

Was much more relaxed about Mod 2 - I know how to drive, felt reasonably confident on the bike, and you're also not expected to filter which I have limited experience judging when to and when not. So I failed that... Was all set to overtake a stopped bus, he indicated to pull out, I braked and examiner decided that was a major as the car behind had to brake pretty hard. Obliviously I spent the rest of the test glad I'd spotted the indicator

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Thanks - just survived ride 3!

I imagine you'll be on the road pre-Mod 1 - maybe they're a bit more budget, but my school basically just found quiet roads/car parks to practice the manoeuvres on, all of which we rode to (starting at Vauxhall). After initially being fine, the more I practised my u-turn the worse I got so was very nervous about that, but passed.

Was much more relaxed about Mod 2 - I know how to drive, felt reasonably confident on the bike, and you're also not expected to filter which I have limited experience judging when to and when not. So I failed that... Was all set to overtake a stopped bus, he indicated to pull out, I braked and examiner decided that was a major as the car behind had to brake pretty hard. Obliviously I spent the rest of the test glad I'd spotted the indicator
    Oh blimey - the kind of thing you'd be hoping wasn't going to happen. Bad luck.

I'm glad to hear that you weren't asked to filter - I'm also worried about that, but hopefully yours was the standard approach.

Very interesting thread. Been after a 2nd bike for a while and found this immaculate 749s for £3k. For a sports bike it's surprisingly comfortable and although quick it's not silly ballistic either. Good luck with your search, the right bike for you is out there...Studio_20180830_232916-506x317-253x159.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Very interesting thread. Been after a 2nd bike for a while and found this immaculate 749s for £3k.

Why doesn't that happen to me? I went second bike shopping yesterday (ok, technically fourth bike shopping) and the one I found was £16k.

So I didn't buy it.

Just a thought, if you think you might accessorise your bike at all, it's worth spending the time to find a used one where someone has already bought and fitted the bits that you want.

Or at least price up what you think you might want so that you're going in to it informed.

When I had my last Harley, I fitted genuine parts and accessories that totalled more than the new price of the bike (significant engine, brakes and suspension upgrades, not chrome bits). When I came to sell it, it was worth about 5-10% more than if I'd left it completely stock.

The bike I was looking at yesterday had non-standard bars and I was interested to discover how much it would be to fit the same bars to a similar bike. A bit of investigation this morning and I discover that the parts cost alone for the bars/cables/hoses/wiring is around £600, and there's fitting on top of that!

Of course if you accessorise your bike yourself it can be a bit cheaper!
    Last edited by Gyp; 2nd September 2018 at 10:50.

Beey good point. In fact, the Bonneville range have been specifically designed to customise, and there are about 130 accessories/upgrades for them.

Don't forget you're buying into the lifestyle! Harley Davidson have been the market leader in after sale sales for many years, from bike upgrades/accessories to clothing. They're all at it now and BMW and Triumph can't be too far behind. My bike came with most of the available upgrades and accessories factory specced but I still bought a set of factory panniers and top box (no brackets as they were on the bike) and a Nav6 which came to about 15% of the purchase price of the bike.

Gyp has a valid point, my bike was one year old when I bought it with less than 800 miles on the clock. It was originally provided to one of their employees as part of BMW's company vehicle scheme and the first owner had specced it with virtually every factory extra, it would have raised the original cost over a stock model by about 40% when new. I bought through BMW's used approved scheme from North Oxford Garage which is my nearest BMW motorcycle dealer and I paid roughly a 10% premium over a comparable year old stock model for it, that included the first annual service, a two year manufacturer's warranty and they bought the bike down from another BMW dealer in Loughborough for me to view.

Incidentally the warranty was worth its weight in gold because at the last service I had the headlamp, the filler cap, the main stand and the instrument binnacle replaced for various (admittedly very minor) defects and the headlamp alone is over £700 new.

This thread is lethal... It has got me seriously contemplating another bike... I love it!

I took Mrs C to buy a new curtain rail yesterday afternoon (I know, rock and roll eh!)... it just so happened that there was a Triumph dealership round the corner!

The new Speedmaster does look to be a compromise we could settle on, with the endless kits and upgrades we could convert to a single seat if I ride alone... when she wants to come it can be a 2 seater with a back rest type set up that she insists on.

I have been without a bike for approx 2 years now and thought I had all that out of my system... apparently not.

Admittedly, I am a fair weather rider these days so if I wait until next spring there may be some good deals to be had in the pre owned market that have already been done... something like the below perhaps?

Yes, the Speedmaster is a thing of beauty. Very happy to be an enabler

Master
    FYI .. Speedmaster got a lot of criticism form MCN in their review for poor comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    FYI .. Speedmaster got a lot of criticism form MCN in their review for poor comfort.
    This review?

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...ter-1200/2018/

"The Speedmaster is based on the proven and hugely successful Bobber and is arguably more desirable, comfortable and practical"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    This review?

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...ter-1200/2018/

"The Speedmaster is based on the proven and hugely successful Bobber and is arguably more desirable, comfortable and practical"
    I must be mis-remembering some fake news ... the article I remember was one of their MCN250 rides .. I'll see if I can find it .. on the other hand my memory may be playing tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    I must be mis-remembering some fake news ... the article I remember was one of their MCN250 rides .. I'll see if I can find it .. on the other hand my memory may be playing tricks.
    It might also have been a review for one of the earlier iterations - the 2017-onwards bike is quite different, like the rest of the Bonneville range.

Master
    from May 9th ..

Looks like a comfort seat could be the answer

Also, the seat isn’t that narrow - it’s perspective as the R9T tank is quite flared.

That r9t with those tyres is just the job for scrambling up the pavements out side Starbucks.

Low seats = virtually zero comfort after 200 miles.
    Brown seats = white socks with Oxfords.
    Last edited by Tifa; 3rd September 2018 at 12:49.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Also, the seat isn’t that narrow - it’s perspective as the R9T tank is quite flared.
    Got you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    That r9t with those tyres is just the job for scrambling up the pavements out side Starbucks.

Low seats = virtually zero comfort after 200 miles.
    Brown seats = white socks with Oxfords.
    Don't worry, I'm reverting to plan A!

Tony, please don’t write it off: it’s just another opportunity to try a great bike with no commitment, what have you got to lose?

Tony, please don’t write it off: it’s just another opportunity to try a great bike with no commitment, what have you got to lose?
    True enough.