closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

Hybrid View

Master
    I'm seriously enjoying this thread!!!!

Master
    I prefer Omega watches over Rolex watches.

I like quartz as much as mechanical movements, provided they are of similar quality, and wish more higher end manufacturers gave this option.

A two or three watch collection is ideal.

1. I like the cyclops
    2. I dislike G-shocks
    3. I quite like some Tag Heuer models
    4. NATO straps look stupid

Journeyman
    Its no coincidence that breitling rhymes with eye sting, as their overly busy watches make my eyes water from straining to look at all that information.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itizme View Post
    Its no coincidence that breitling rhymes with eye sting, as their overly busy watches make my eyes water from straining to look at all that information.
    This, and:
    Bigger is not always Better.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    1) If I buy a used or vintage watch, I have no interest in its ‘patina’ as a record of its previous owners memories with it, unless I inherit it from someone I know personally. I will happily have it serviced, polished and restored to as good a condition as availability of parts allows. I don’t care what this might do to its resale value or its desirability to collectors, because...

2) I cannot abide vintage aficionados who have implacable opinions on what others ought to do with their own property and...

3) The obsession with beat-up, unpolished cases, knackered dials and crumbling handsets is unfathomable to me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rodan View Post
    1) If I buy a used or vintage watch, I have no interest in its ‘patina’ as a record of its previous owners memories with it, unless I inherit it from someone I know personally. I will happily have it serviced, polished and restored to as good a condition as availability of parts allows. I don’t care what this might do to its resale value or its desirability to collectors, because...

2) I cannot abide vintage aficionados who have implacable opinions on what others ought to do with their own property and...

3) The obsession with beat-up, unpolished cases, knackered dials and crumbling handsets is unfathomable to me.
    Hahaha no3) so true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NATO straps are overrated and ugly.
    Watch should be serviced only when there is problem.
    Any watch over 45mm looks big on any wrist.

Craftsman
    Just the 2 from me.

I don't give a monkeys about the re-sale value of any of my watches and find any discussion about the topic tedious and vulgar
    I give slightly less of a monkeys about the + or minus seconds per day accuracy of any of my mechanical watches as long as they aren't wildly out.

Cheers

Ian

Craftsman
    I love reversos! I know I'm not alone in this but reverso fans do seem quite few and far between.

I love the retro, quite nostalgic art deco design. Nostalgia of times gone by is actually quite a big thing for me, which goes hand in hand with mechanical watches, for me.

I've only owned one so far, but am toying with getting a duo face. It's just the fact that they seem to take a big value hit and also seem a bit niche, holding me back a little.

Most people could probably do without a watch and use their phones and wall clocks instead.

Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    I love reversos! I know I'm not alone in this but reverso fans do seem quite few and far between.

I love the retro, quite nostalgic art deco design. Nostalgia of times gone by is actually quite a big thing for me, which goes hand in hand with mechanical watches, for me.

I've only owned one so far, but am toying with getting a duo face. It's just the fact that they seem to take a big value hit and also seem a bit niche, holding me back a little.
    Yes I love the Reverso too so take advantage and buy secondhand !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    This thread has single-handedly restored my faith in the sanity of the average forum member.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    This thread has single-handedly restored my faith in the sanity of the average forum member.
    I've seen a few of my watches ridiculed hahaha

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    I've seen a few of my watches ridiculed hahaha
    It's like 'Battleships'. So far, all my current watches and one of my previous ones have taken full broadsides. They're falling at the rate of one every 15 posts :)

Luckily, I have a Ginault Ocean Rover, and there isn't anyone who doesn't respect and love what they've done ...
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 12th February 2019 at 12:11.

Master
    Sometimes when I'm passing through Schiphol Airport, all modern luxury watches en masse start to look like oversized overpriced vulgar gaudy baubles and I wonder why I'm even interested in them.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 12th February 2019 at 13:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Sometimes when I'm passing through Schiphol Airport, all modern luxury watches en masse start to look like oversized overpriced vulgar gaudy baubles and I wonder why I'm even interested in them.
    Form still follows function, I guess, it's just that function has now changed to be one of shouty, attention seeking. Little pigs, all in a row, smothered in lipstick.

It's far too big for your wrist.

colour matching strap, shoes, underwear or whatever piece of garment to tiny coloured splatter on dial is childish.
    Last edited by Normunds; 13th February 2019 at 16:10.

Craftsman
    Why buy a Rolex when Steinhart are superb?

the rolex daytona looks like it fell out of a cracker.

the old ones look lovely, the new ones with the rounded machining on the bezel and blobby indicies look like they were cast in the back streets of a chinese industrial city out of pot metal.
    the tachymeter scale line on the left of the bezel make it look like the bezel is off centre.

they actually look like knock-offs of a Rolex than what you imagine the real thing to look like.

this monstrosity with another name on the dial would sit in that cash converters window for years before some chav came along and needed some tat for the wrist.

Hats off to the OP. Probably the most cathartic, yet civilised (watch related) thread on TZ atm

Master
    Normal people buy a watch they like and keep it. A perfectly sensible approach.

Plonkers buy a watch because some other plonker on a forum said it was cool, so a few weeks later they sell the thing because they cannot "bond" with it and then moan that they not only lost money but are finding it impossible to buy something they want.

There isn’t a single modern Rolex I would buy.

The date wheel on a PP Aquanaut doesn’t seem to line up with the window.

(To be fair the second one is based only on photos.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hats off to the OP. Probably the most cathartic, yet civilised (watch related) thread on TZ atm
    Yep, most enjoyable

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

the old ones look lovely, the new ones with the rounded machining on the bezel and blobby indicies look like they were cast in the back streets of a chinese industrial city out of pot metal.
    the tachymeter scale line on the left of the bezel make it look like the bezel is off centre.

they actually look like knock-offs of a Rolex than what you imagine the real thing to look like.

this monstrosity with another name on the dial would sit in that cash converters window for years before some chav came along and needed some tat for the wrist.

"want to buy a Rolex, Del boy" springs to mind, at any Mediterranean beach resort of the last 30+ years

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

This. It's an unattractive core design.

Admittedly some versions (e.g. Ceramic) look a lot better than this one but they still have the same fatal flaws including the essay written on the dial and ugly crown, crown guards and pushers that look squashed together.

It looks very 80s/90s but not in a good way.

It's a shame because the original Daytonas are absolutely stunning.

The Vostok 2414 movement with date is a joy to adjust, especially if it was last set to the 1st and you want to wear it on the 31st.
    It allows an unparalleled opportunity for the wearer to 'bond' with it
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 12th February 2019 at 12:03.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    This. It's an unattractive core design.

Admittedly some versions (e.g. Ceramic) look a lot better than this one but they still have the same fatal flaws including the essay written on the dial and ugly crown, crown guards and pushers that look squashed together.

It looks very 80s/90s but not in a good way.

It's a shame because the original Daytonas are absolutely stunning.
    Good point but it's down the centre. As every schoolboy knows, an essay down the centre of the page is a poem, therefore, it's a poem on the dial. Any better?

Journeyman
    You already own enough watches.

Master
    This is fun....