closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: EV Charger MCB Advice - Smart MCB

Threaded View

Craftsman

EV Charger MCB Advice - Smart MCB

Hi,

Got an annoying issue that I think I know how to get around but want a bit of advice/validation, please.

- I have a Merc EQB (which does not have a scheduled charge setting, annoyingly)
    - I have a Project EV charger in my garage with a traditional dumb MCB feeding it (pictured later in this post). Plus a breaker which looks to be 32A for the EV charger
    - The EV charger I have set to scheduled charge from 00:01 to 05:00 when I get cheap electric
    - Few times now the charger has failed to start the scheduled charging cycle. Not often, but enough to irritate me

I put this down to the fact that the EV charger is cheap tat that the builder put in as it was the cheapest possible. Works great in dumb mode, but the minute I've connected it to the internet and set it to app mode it's been a bit flaky. The UI for example doesn't really configure what it's saying it does. EV project support and forums full of issues like this, it's just a bit sucky.

EV charger is this one: EV charger by nickgaters, on Flickr

So: I'm thinking of the following workaround:

- Set the charger back into dumb mode - i.e. soon as cable is connected to the car just charge until the car says stop at 100%. Worked fine 100% of the time before I tried to get all smart with it!
    - replace the existing MCB fuse in my garage MCB with a smart MCB, so I schedule the MCB energising the whole circuit and control the MCB via an app
    - so I'll schedule the MCB to energise at 00:01 and open again at 05:00

Questions:

- Am I right in thinking I really should replace the following 32A circuit breaker: Main MCB by nickgaters, on Flickr

- Does that look like 32A, how can I tell? Seems odd that there's no headroom at all as I charge at 32A.

with this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zigbee-Circ..._hp_atf_m&th=1

- What's the deal with 'curves', A B or C and which one would be suitable for EV charging?

- Single pole or double pole? Looks like that MCB is single pole. I thought double pole is better for high power apps...but there's no space for a double pole in the consumer unit

- Anyone got any better smart MCB products they would suggest? 30-40 quid seems worryingly cheap when I read on the EV project forums some people have paid an electrician 100+ to add a smart MCB. I will be doing this myself to save labour, done a fair few times before by swapping like for like MCB or adding new ones in. Never dumb to smart MCB though.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by NickGaters; 14th October 2023 at 10:45.