I'm from York, and my youngest daughter was at an event near Hull on Saturday morning. So my wife and eldest daughter decided to spend the morning in Hull. A city which was once home to my Nana and her mother, until they were bombed in the Hull Blitz in May 1941, and then moved to York.

We decided to park near the station and walk down to the waterfront as it was a beautiful morning, and have a look some of the arty/craft shops in the fairly recently redeveloped Fruit Market area near the waterfront. Here we found a lovely cafe and stopped for breakfast.

The café was located on the corner of Humber St and Queen St, and was on the ground floor of a modern building, seen on right hand side of the map above.

I knew my nana (who's no longer with us) lived in a pub, which was hit by a bomb in the Blitz and later in the day text my uncle to ask whereabouts in Hull the pub was. And here's the coincidence –*the pub (named The London Hotel) was located on the very spot where we'd had breakfast. He sent me a report from the night of the raids...

The two people rescued alive from the demolished building was my Nana and her mum. My nana would have been 100 years old in May, and was 16/17 years old when they were bombed out of their home and moved to The Golden Ball Pub in York where her aunty was landlady. She joined the WAF, met my grandad and the rest is history.

I'm sure everyone's had some weird coincidences, what's yours?...