closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rado

Rado

Hi,

While i continue to look for the fortis im after I have started to contemplate if its worth selling the Rado's i have (I just don't wear more than one watch so they will just sit in a cupbord collecting dust).

However, there seems to be a general dislike for them on here, so my question is, why?

Personally I have found them to be good quality and very hard wearing, they do however seemed to be a bit sniffed at.

Somthing I am missing?

I have an rado xeramo and modern Diastar btw.

Grand Master

Re: Rado

Rados produced in recent years have a unique style that appeals to some folks but not to others. I think they've become very fashion/style orientated and maybe that's why they are not highly regarded. The quartz movements used are decent quality, but technically nothing special. Once you look behind the obvious style statement of the Rado look, there ain't a lot there to justify the prices IMO.

Having said that, I think some of the black/gold models look nice, and I would consider a used one at the right price simply because they are different to most of the Rolex/Omega stuff I like.

£300 for a used one is OK, but >£1k new.......no chance!

Paul

Master

I think that if you take them for what they are, they're a fine watch - unusual and very well made. My recent guilty pleasure (and only Rado experience) was a Ceramica Chrono XL which is VERY different to the rest of my collection. I bought it on a whim and didn't keep it long, but it was a nice watch indeed :)

Master

I like 'em; I have two: a Sintra quartz which I've had about 10yrs and is still looking like new! And an auto original diver; well made and the usual scratch proof bezel make it a pleasing understated watch; oh and it just happens to be one of the most comfortable bracelets I've ever worn!

Ah good to see its not all dislike then!

The diastar is an auto rather than a quartz and does seem to keep excellent time, though i am not sure exactly what movement it contains.

My only gripe with it is that the auto winder weight (not sure of the correct term) seems a little noisy, though after three years of constant wear i am unsure if this is to be expected really.

Blog Entries

I just flipped a recently acquired Diastar Original Diver.. but only to make way for a big hitting incomer.

I must say.. it was well built, heavy and sturdy.. and a great looking watch.

So my brush with Rado was a happy one.

I've flirted with idea of buying a Sintra for a few years now, but never quite gone through with it. They have a unique look, but that is the appeal. More recently the R5.5 models have been catching my eye so the brand is still on the radar.
    FWIW I've never heard a bad report about them from owners so whilst not having mass appeal, they seem to be doing something right.

If you still get enjoyment out of wearing them, keep them.

Master

I like several of the current models and a few of the older one's,the problem is I have a long list of watches I'd buy if the funds permitted, and there's always a few things above the rado's.

Have noticed James May wearing one occasionally, don't know if that's a good or a bad thing though...

I'd love a ceramica.

I've often gazed at them in shop windows. Even though I hear its a very good quality one, the quartz movement for the price tag puts me off a little.

I had a Rado Original Diver. It was excellent, very well made. The movement was a Top grade ETA and it was scrach proof, great dial and bracelet. I got it for £800 new so I though I got a lot for my money. I enjoyed it for three years but eventually sold it to get something new. With a Rado you pay for the case, not so much the movement.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Rado.

The Ceramica has long held an appeal but I've never owned one. The r5.5 is my current favourite although you rarely seem them on display. I'm not sure if the automatic version has been released yet but it looks intriguing:

well i have semi accidentally bought a fortis so probably need to think about what i will do with the others, well providing the B42 doesn't arrive and I immediately hate it :lol:

Thinking i may try and shift the ceramic and keep the diastar auto, can see myself coming back to it somehow.