closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review Seiko Sumo on Anvil bracelet

Blog Entries

Review Seiko Sumo on Anvil bracelet

Warning, this will be a loooong review
    I am in no way affiliated with Yobokies!

I know there are plenty of reviews of the Sumo, so I will not go into details of the watch.
    I've had my Seiko Sumo for almost a month now, and read everything that's written about it on the internet. There are many comments about the bracelet on various forums. These are (it seems) often from people not owning a Sumo, so therefore I wanted to give my perspective and some pics with the anvil bracelet.

The main complaint is that the original bracelet is 20mm, tapering to 18mm at the clasp. Some people also have complaints about the endlinks fit and the clasp. I had some concerns with this before seeing the watch irl, and I tried it on at two occasions at the Wako store in Tokyo before buying it, simply because I couldn't reconcile with the bracelet.

After buying it the 20mm lugs didn't bother me, and neither did the end links. They don't fit flush with the bottom of the bezel, which makes the watch pop out and in my opinion this makes the watch look a bit more distinguished. It also makes the watch look more round in it's shape, then it actually is. What bothered me was the tapering. The divers extension makes the clasp bigger, which also makes the bracelet seem smaller. Not narrower, but shorter. Before I changed to the anvil, I thought the tapering was what made the watch so wearable despite its large size. I later found out, this wasn't true. What makes it so wearable is the "UFO" disc shape of the case.

I wanted to give Yobokies Anvil bracelet a try, since I love the look of the Doxa, Zixen and Stowa divers, which all have bracelets looking like the anvil. There is also a Watchadoo bracelet available http://www.rosswatchreview.com/?p=461, but it has flat end links instead of fitted endlinks. With the lugholes so far from the case, I didn't that would be a good look. Also, I wanted a a bracelet that looked like it could have been fitted from the factory.

There are two different versions of the Yobokies Anvil for the Sumo. One 22mm and one 20mm. The 22mm tapers to 20mm, so basically, the 20mm is the 22mm but without the last two (21mm and 22mm) links. It is possible to buy the 22mm and take of the last two links to make it a 20mm, but I went straight for the 20mm. The reason being, I don't like the look of the 22mm since the last two links protrude 2mm from the lugs. (There is enough space for it not to rub against the lugs). Also, I wanted to keep the original "oversize" look of the watch. The 22mm seems to be the most popular, so it's hard to find pictures online with the 20mm fitted.

The bracelet is brushed throughout, has solid links with push pins through all the links, and folded endlinks. The endlinks use the original fat spring bars. As you can see from the pictures, the endlinks don't fit perfectly, but almost. I went with the upgraded (more pins) clasp for better micro adjustment, which perhaps is overkill, but I recommend it anyway. Both versions are signed Seiko. From the pictures I've seen of the shorter clasp, this one looks better. Not too short, and not too long. A divers extension would have made it too long in my opinion.

The bracelet wears great! More links, means it follows your wrist better than the original bracelet. The (although small) added weight gives the watch a more balanced feel. With the original bracelet, it feel a little top heavy. If you are picky (like I am) you will however notice that the anvil makes a little more rattling sound when you more around if you like to wear bracelets loose.

I love the new look! The new fitted endlinks makes the watch shape look taller which I think is great. I'm also happy I went with the 20mm instead of the 22mm. In my opinion, the 20mm flows with the lines of the watch and looks like it could have been originally fitted from the factory. My only complaint is that the endlinks are folded and not a perfect fit. This is however me being extremely picky and the positives far outweigh th negatives. I would easily recommend this bracelet to any Sumo owner out there.

If you read this far, thanks for your attention, and below is your reward. :D

Roar if you like it! :cat:

Re: Review Seiko Sumo on Anvil bracelet

Roar, I think it looks really well.

Craftsman

Very nice piece of kit, in my ignorance is there a reason the crown is at the 4 oclock position, like the way it gives an unusual look to a watch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sag
    Very nice piece of kit, in my ignorance is there a reason the crown is at the 4 oclock position, like the way it gives an unusual look to a watch.
    Probably so it doesn't dig into the wrist (when worn on the left hand). Seiko doesn't do this on all of their divers, but on most of their higher end divers. It doesn't seem to be a must with this movement ether.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sag
    Probably so it doesn't dig into the wrist (when worn on the left hand). Seiko doesn't do this on all of their divers, but on most of their higher end divers. It doesn't seem to be a must with this movement ether.
    Thank you, makes sense.

this review and the photos are great ..

does anyone happen to know if the bracelet featured fits a PRS-14?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart
    this review and the photos are great ..

does anyone happen to know if the bracelet featured fits a PRS-14?
    Thanks! -Don't think it would fit. Unless sumo bracelets fit the PRS-14.... which I've never heard of. However. But you could get the version with straight end links, but that would need fat spring bars, and I don't know if the lug holes on the PRS-14 are big enough for the fat bars. Perhaps your best shot is to check if the watchadoo straight end link bracelet takes regular spring bars.

Edit: Check this http://tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=121316

Craftsman

Looks very nice, had a lumpy on my monster for a while but couldn't bond with it...

Review Seiko Sumo on Anvil bracelet

yonsson, thank you

Yes, I had thought to buy one. But decided it was to big for my wrist. :?
    But a really good watch.

Journeyman

Original bracelet is way to go for me. This Anvil bracelet pushes the dressy side of sumo away.

Rooar, very nice. great review too. Well done.

thanks for great review. May I ask what is your wrist size.
    I am thinking of buying one,but my wrist is 6.75 inches. Not
    sure if I could wear this and doesnt look silly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by david-syd
    May I ask what is your wrist size.
    Approx 18,5 centimeters = 7.3 inch

Craftsman

Hello, I think its looks great, I got a blue sumo. What is the price on the bracelet?Love the look .
    Søren

Blog Entries

I don't remember. Email yobokies.
    yobokies @ yahoo.com.hk

Are the end pieces solid?

Looks great - I fancy doing that to mine.

Blog Entries

Nope. Not solid. Folded.

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson
    Nope. Not solid. Folded.
    Bu99er.

Master

There's only one way to wear a Sumo and that's on a MM300 rubber strap.

Great review, Sumo looks good on Anvil bracelet :thumbright: