closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The latest limited edition Speedmaster.

Grand Master

Re: The latest limited edition Speedmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw
    As an instrument for time telling or recording it's completely impractical, see the wrist shot on the link. It only works as a collectors' item, it's one of an (ever expaning) series, targeted at a rather niche market. I simply wonder if there will ever be 1,972 members in that niche.
    I pity the poor so-and-so that's going to have to buy this just to complete their collection whether they want to or not.
    Exercises like this serve to redistribute wealth from wealthy completists who can part with some of it to those (salesmen, the taxman, watchmakers, hauliers and factory operators) who need it.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

I love Speedmasters.

But that is absolutely dreadful. I don't even think I'd want it in my watch box if it was GIVEN to me.

Would make a nice caseback but not on the dial make it look too busy imho

Quote Originally Posted by t72
    Would make a nice caseback but not on the dial make it look too busy imho
    It has already been featured on a caseback, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the last man on the moon. It seems Omega have to do a crapper version of an earlier limited edition for subsequent limited editions.

Craftsman

That's the "Franklin Mint" of Omegas :)

Craftsman

it's like an ode to bad taste.

thatīs a weird one indeed! :shock:

Donīt know what to say. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Barney12
    That's the "Franklin Mint" of Omegas :)
    Just about spot on. :lol:
    It's just a matter of time...

gotaswatch

Sorry to pile in and repeat the already established consesus, but what were they thinking? It reminded me of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...H4L6GU/b3ta-21

I'm new, by the way. Looking to purchase my first "proper" watch and one of your forum members pointed me here. I might start another thread about that.

Cheers

:D

Craftsman

Oh Dear, oh dear.....why :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Dec
    that cant be for real? ******* ****
    You're new here so you might not know that we don't use that sort of language here. This is a family friendly forum.

That must be a joke.
    Utterly horrendous.

I don't like it, ugliest LE Omega.

Blog Entries

Gotta admire Omega for bringing something different to the market - but saying that its not something i would go for. Anyone know the pricing for one of these?

Mmmm i think it might be a grower after a while, but i would have liked the omega logo on the dial to be a bit more pronounced so you could actually read it without a loupe :shock:

Damian.

Still on the fence with this one, I'm thinking maybe the pictures don't do it any justice. Has anyone seen one in real life?

No, no, no !

Craftsman
    For some reason I don’t think it’s that bad! Something different..

Simply awful!

Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    Has anyone seen one in real life?
    Yep, in the Bond St boutique. Unreadable and unuseable as a chonograph, but beautifully made. Certainly not something I'd be interested in.

Journeyman
    Afraid to say that just looks plain awful sorry Omega better luck with next limited edition.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Yep, in the Bond St boutique. Unreadable and unuseable as a chonograph, but beautifully made. Certainly not something I'd be interested in.
    Thank you. I need to head back in to London next month to pick up some watches from service so try and make an excursion.

Sounds like it might be better in real life but more as an ornament / collectors item.
    Last edited by christech81; 5th March 2014 at 00:30.

Craftsman
    It's certainly interesting, but I doubt I'd want to wear one.

i feel sorry for the sale staff trying to sell that.

Maybe it's just limited to that one.

Grand Master
    I am amazed Omega can get it so right but sadly in this case have got it so wrong, maybe a hangover after a night out with Panerai! I am sure it wont happen again
    RIAC

Are we sure that this is new?
    Theres been one for sale with Blowers for quite some time now (unsurprisingly!) unless Im mistaken - or theres an almost identical LE speedmaster out there.

Bloody awful thing. Perhaps Omegas greatest crime against horology is its "limited" edition runs of over a thousand eyesores per run...

...but then it could be argued that at least theyre trying different things. In this case, however, different in a very bad way...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaF View Post
    Yuk! But then again, it's an Omega, so somebody will buy it in the end...
    Indeed so, as is the case with most Rolex Omega product these days :)

As a test, quickly look at the watch and locate the position of each hand. Sorry, too late.

Though I was tickled by the specious claim printed onto the crystal that this watch was somehow "professional" :D

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Theres been one for sale with Blowers for quite some time now (unsurprisingly!)
    There have been a few on Chrono24 over the past couple of months and I think Watchfinder had two at the same time.

Thanks for pointing out the one at Blowers I don't think I'd seen that one, however it is nearly retail price which might explain why it's still available? And the fact it's a bit of a marmite design. Blowers have still got their Speedmaster Snoopy which I feel is a bit overpriced too.

Master
    IMHO another example of where omega have lost their way! Tasteless and pointless! I can just imagine the conversation in the design room at beinne:

The boss: Right, we've got to get some more special ultra collectable speedies ready, who got any ideas?

designer: Me, me me, please sir pick me! Let's make a tool watch that looks like a tarts handbag and something you wouldn't even buy as a passable fake from a lucky lucky man in Zante!

The boss: what a fabulous idea, you young man deserve a promotion and a pay rise! But wait, what else would help sell our new tool watch?

Designer: oh oh...... what about if we made it utterly useless as a chronograph or even a watch for telling the time and made all the sub-dials totally unreadable and illegible?

The boss: outstanding work.... You are now head of design for your innovative and imaginative ideas!!!

Now team........ we are struggling for new ideas of watches, we reinvented the speedmaster more times than the Hoff has reinvented himself...... so which one of our famous watches through history can we rip off?

Now remember team..... If at all possible make sure it's one we no longer service! If we are going to be Chinese Rolex we've got a lot of work to do to destroy our heritage!

New head of design: ooooooohhhhhh why don't we take the classic mkii speedy! Add a totally over the top coaxial movement and a date window ..... Everyone needs a date...... And then make the tachy glow in the dark.........

The boss: another amazing idea... But what will we charge for such a design and technical marvel of the modern age????

New head of design: well boss, we all know we can now charge what we like because some tasteless muppets will buy it for sure......... our market isn't people with taste anymore boys and girls it's people who think they can buy taste and elegance and don't give a monkeys other than telling their mates in the wine bar how fabulously expensive their new wrist machine was and all the silly wasteful features it has they will never use!

The boss: our work here is done... Well until tomorrow.... We need at least another 50 special edition speedies this year alone
    Last edited by dickstar1977; 5th March 2014 at 10:18.

Craftsman
    Criminal. Dickstar1977's assessment is pretty spot on.

What a great design motif................for the back of the watch.

well kudos for trying something new.

Horrible execution though

Really?

Not to my taste!

Are we sure that this is new?
    Theres been one for sale with Blowers for quite some time now (unsurprisingly!) unless Im mistaken - or theres an almost identical LE speedmaster out there.
    It was new when I started the thread nearly two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It was new when I started the thread nearly two years ago.
    Oops! That's twice in one day Ive stumbled into a resurrected thread!

One things for sure then - the watch hasn't improved with age!

Oops! That's twice in one day Ive stumbled into a resurrected thread!

One things for sure then - the watch hasn't improved with age!
    Please accept my apologies for bringing up an old thread I'm researching the watch as it has piqued my interest and would like to see one in the flesh. I figured I'd re-use this thread rather than start a new one.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    Please accept my apologies for bringing up an old thread I'm researching the watch as it has piqued my interest and would like to see one in the flesh. I figured I'd re-use this thread rather than start a new one.
    you're joking, right???

At least that Leopard Daytona thing that usually gets posted on most threads about stupid watches, still functions perfectly fine as a device for telling the time. This Omega fails at the first hurdle!

Horrendous. Simply damn ugly.

Blog Entries
    Funny how unpopular this edition, which makes me think in 40 years time it will probably be the most sought after, hard to get, and expensive edition ever made!

It looks like a coin, with a watch built around it.
    I guess it may interest the man who has everything?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Funny how unpopular this edition, which makes me think in 40 years time it will probably be the most sought after, hard to get, and expensive edition ever made!
    You got it spot on it will be lol

Journeyman
    Time hasn't helped soften my view on this, what were they thinking. Seems Omega are scraping the bottom of the barrel with the LE speedys now based on this showing.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    you're joking, right???

At least that Leopard Daytona thing that usually gets posted on most threads about stupid watches, still functions perfectly fine as a device for telling the time. This Omega fails at the first hurdle!
    Ah, but youre discounting the very real possibility that the leopard Daytona thingy is so hideous that, if it was on your wrist, it would be actually impossible to look at for long enough to actually tell the time - what with either the vomiting or hysterical laughter that would result...

...I agree however that the speedy coinwatch is firmly in chocolate teapot territory.

Grand Master
    ...I agree however that the speedy coinwatch is firmly in chocolate teapot territory.
    Yes - a bit Franklin Mint.

I just had a look at one of these in the Royal Exchange Boutique. It's just as hideous in real life!

Craftsman
    My eyes. The goggles, they do nothing.