closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lapping machine - case example pics on page 3

Hybrid View

Another update and example for anyone who's interested, this time it's an early 70's Omega Constellation Megaquartz. Although it was acceptable for a 40 year old watch there was some pretty deep scratches to the case sides and shoulders, plus the bezel had some scrape marks. I think it was definitely time for a freshen up.

This wasn't all done on a lapping machine, the case sides/back and clasp are hand refinishing and the bracelet was refinished on a polishing/graining wheel.

Before

After pics to follow...
    Last edited by Omegary; 19th November 2012 at 19:05.

After

Obviously a macro lens really accentuates any marks on a used piece but likewise they pick up any slight imperfections, even on a brand new watch. A new crystal really helps the overall look too but even so it's a pretty good transformation imho.

Many thanks to webvan for putting up with a slight delay whilst I did the before and after pics.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    Thanks Gary , I think I get it! What about the grained areas of a watch case that are say rounded or a couple of slight angles? Would it be done in sections or in one go? It interests me as many watch cases are slightly rounded and also slightly curved from top to bottom so its hard to appreciate how a flat wheel accomplishes this . Id love to see some pics of the thing in action!
    Thanks and great thread!
    T
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamboat10 View Post
    Seconded Gary, it puzzles me how its achieved, would love to see it in action...video??

Thanks for updating the thread, really interesting to follow.

Best,

James.
    I think you're right in that a video is probably the only way to really demonstrate how it works, however Rocco isn't keen on the idea. TBH having watched him work on a number of cases now it won't make for riveting viewing. A lot of time is taken up making sure the angles are exactly right, presenting the case to the wheel at the perfect height and then lapping the case gently until it's as best as it can be.

I've got some pics of a Rolex Explorer bezel being refurbished on the lapping machine which might help give some context. I need to sort them all out though first which might take some time.

Cheers,
    Gary

Thank you for these wonderful before and after pictures, that Constellation from 1972 really looks like new now and the problem of course is that's it's going to be a concern to wear it for fear of scratching it ;-) Well it can go back to Rocco in a few years time I guess ;-) What talent!

Beautiful inside and out as after some tweaking of the trimmer it's pretty much locked into my "custom" thermocompensated SMP 300.