closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: If you were starting a watch collection today?

Master

If you were starting a watch collection today?

I'm having a ponder and think amongst the group there is such a wealth of advice. So I'm throwing this out as a discussion piece.
    Basically I've been lucky enough to grab a few nice Omega pieces prior to the recent surge in pricing, Others will have got into Rolex similarly in the past and now have a gold mine of great pieces.
    My thoughts were if you are of limited cash means ( I am ) and want to build up a collection what would you collect if you were starting off now with no real collection in place.
    I'm thinking Seiko Pogues, UFO's still offer great value, vintage Zenith (not El Primero Chronographs) what's your thoughts? What would you collect?
    I'm trying to exclude the usual bankers of Submariner Rolex or Speedie Ed Whites as beyond my means.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Probably Art Deco watches. Cushion cases. Lovely things.
    If i was going modern on a budget - I'd start with a Hamilton intramatic, maybe a Ventura just to be different, perhaps a longines heritage conquest with the pearlescent dial if I could budget 750, then a legend diver. Then I'd be passing the point of no return and end up into Rolex again.

Banned
    I can only ‘collect’ watches I like to wear, find a favourite and then never wear the others (!).

Buy one main watch and play around with cheaper ones - which ones is really a matter of personal taste, but my basis is only ever one from any manufacturer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Building a collection of limited money and it's hard to ignore Seiko. Although some of the classics are shooting up in value, there's plenty to choose from at every price point.

Aside from that, it'd be Russian, Chinese or Indian.

I've only started 'collecting' recently. I've got a couple of nice watches that I've had for a long time, a few gift/easy to wear watches and I'm finding myself buying cheap vintage watches that appeal to me, with a bit of a theme emerging.

You sound more like you want a kind of portfolio of watches - solid values etc. Others better placed on here to advise, sounds great if that's what you want but not for me. I'm avoiding the well known names so that I can follow whatever takes my fancy without risking much money, while I learn and enjoy.

For myself, maybe vintage IWC and Vacheron. If modern choices, maybe Nomos, JLC, GO, Zenith.

I would be looking for interesting makes to find well-made examples of things that not everyone knows of. This gets the new collector good value and high quality.

As an example, for a vintage chronograph person I would be looking for Tissot, Rodania, Nivada, Dugena, and makes like that. Also well-made things that have vintage styling that mkes them good value. The non-dive Certina DS range from the 70s springs to mind.

I still think there is some good value in certain things (some of them surprising). Bund Tutimas and Bund pd/orfinas are still good value, I think.

I would be looking at the better (which is not always the more expensive) end of the micro-brnad market. Think Eddie's models, Armida, Crepas. Also at Steinhart and Stowa

I would also still be looking for the very stylish 70s High quality quartz offerings, as many of these are still good value. In fact I am hping to buy one soon anyway.

I would also be very keen to find the right people to maintain/repair watches, as it can be very rewarding bringing stuff back from the brink of the bin.

I would never buy anything new.

Banned
    Rolex, before the price rise of course. Mortgage your house if you have to. Just get in before the price rise. Keep all stickers and documents.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I can only ‘collect’ watches I like to wear, find a favourite and then never wear the others (!).

Buy one main watch and play around with cheaper ones - which ones is really a matter of personal taste, but my basis is only ever one from any manufacturer.
    This is probably the best advice I heard in a while, I would only add limit to overall number of watches in a box. It doesn't break the bank and requires a bit of planning and creativity.

Master
    Possibly undervalued vintage gold pieces, it feels like tastes are on the cusp of changing. Though yellow gold wouldn't suit me any more than it ever did personally, it might work for some. I'd also be looking at vintage Seiko and Grand Seiko from Japan, just because it's possible. Maybe Zenith / GP 50s-60s dress watches and the like.

Frankly I'm extremely glad I'm not starting out right now though - the recent devaluation of the pound is the cherry on top of a number of factors that make it a terrible time to buy. Prices are just painfully high across the market, including most used. The one great consolation is looking at the current prices of things you did buy in time, funny that what felt like an extravagant vice has turned out to be a series of good decisions! There may also be some consolation round the corner in picking up very heavily discounted new major brand watches, it might not count as a good investment but at least buying new becomes a realistic option.

My money would be on Seiko vintage for value and variety (obviously just a personal preference). But it's not easy now - so many 'wrong' watches around. As with anything, a lot of research and diligence is needed.

I think if I was wanting to Build A Collection rather than just buy things to wear regularly I would, then I think I would go for Longines from late 50s to early 70s. You can still get quality watches in good condition for the kind of prices that would only buy the most tired and battered of Omegas. This suggestion is FA use if you don't like 34mm watches, though.

Rarely, anyone starts the hobby with the mindset of start a collection.
    People buy watches they like to wear.
    Collection just happens along the way.
    One has to feel one's way around, see what they like and often but not always tend to gravitate towards watches that have some theme going through them and somewhere along the line, it becomes a collection.

Grand Master
    My advice is to buy what YOU like and don't be swayed by the opinion of others. This forum can help, but it can also cloud your judgement.......you need to step back and remind yourself that the TZ ' darling' watches are not necessarily the be-all and end-all.

Diversity is key, don't fall into the trap of buying too many f the same type. One black-dialled dive watch is pretty much the same as another, stepping back and taking a wider view is advisable.

I'm a great believer in owning several, even if you don't wear them often it's nice to know that you own them.

My personal preference is vintage Omegas plus a few of the more humble Rolex offerings from the early noughties.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I think if I was wanting to Build A Collection rather than just buy things to wear regularly I would, then I think I would go for Longines from late 50s to early 70s. You can still get quality watches in good condition for the kind of prices that would only buy the most tired and battered of Omegas. This suggestion is FA use if you don't like 34mm watches, though.
    +1, agree 100%. Unfortunately parts availability is more of an issue with old Longines watches than Omega. I can also recommend vintage Zenith watches.

Paul

Master
    I buy watches i like, or think I'll like. Whether that's 10, 100, 1000 or whatever is dependent on what i can afford. Who would collect on a different basis?!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Diversity is key, don't fall into the trap of buying too many of the same type. One black-dialled dive watch is pretty much the same as another, stepping back and taking a wider view is advisable.
    Paul
    Took me ten years before this dawned on me, not the wife though "they all look the same to me"

Craftsman
    I'd certainly only buy vintage if starting again. Modern watches are not fun to collect. Mostly old Seikos, some swiss - Doxa subs, omega dynamic's, speedies, skywalkers etc, maybe army issue and bulova accutron too.

Check out vintage Zenith Defy's. Cool, hard as nails yet well priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandsire View Post
    I'd certainly only buy vintage if starting again. Modern watches are not fun to collect. Mostly old Seikos, some swiss - Doxa subs, omega dynamic's, speedies, skywalkers etc, maybe army issue and bulova accutron too.

Check out vintage Zenith Defy's. Cool, hard as nails yet well priced.

I agree on the vintage watches , some can be had at very reasonable prices .

Master
    For me I'm only interested in buying what I like and what I'd wear. No safe queens for me. Gone are they days of me buying what I 'think' I should buy. I also used to be 'scared' of selling watches, then one day I thought what's the point of keeping it just because I thought I should?

I'm fortunate to have got hold of the new Daytona, which I have alongside the old model, a PAM 590 and recently I managed to buy back the first ever quality watch I bought - Omega Seamaster.

I've let go of a ND sub, the hulk and a blnr, alongside a Breitling - all of which I was adamant I'd never sell.

I've also 'vowed' never to sell my old Daytona, however if my AD manages to get me the deep sea blue I'm down for, then it will probably go.

Buy what you'll wear and enjoy and I'm sure you'll be a happier and contented collector :-)

I think I'd buy a 16600 SD, or the new version and call it a day.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I think I'd buy a 16600 SD, or the new version and call it a day.
    You and your advocacy of 16600!
    I have misplaced mine and your comment about it being the best watch ever made the other day forced me to source another one.

When I started off, £400 was my limit. I like divers and colour, so I explored that, bought what I liked the look of and moved on the ones that fell out of favour or just didn't feel and wear like they looked in pictures. That surprised me on numerous occasions as what looked great in a pic just didn't live up to expectations, not bonding I suppose, so went.
    I built up a nice display that pleased me to look at and handle but wanted more expensive pieces, now that's a slippery slope I fell down.

Master
    There's been some good pointers on here. It's help put a few issues in perspective particularly around diversification. Too many black dial divers etc. An idea of mine to collect each Speedmaster model might actually leave me a little bored. So that nugget might have saved me a few bob.
    I suspect a nice haul of interesting,diverse reasonably priced models could always be traded in for a vintage Rolex or rare Omega at some point.
    My price point at the moment is around £1000-£1200 so looks like a Defy with Gay Frere bracelet could be on the agenda for 2017!

Master
    I would start with a Seiko SKX, SRP etc

=> Hamilton, Longines
    => Maybe a Sinn

Blog Entries
    If I were starting a watch collection, knowing what I know now ... I wouldn't.

Master
    Like Burnsey I would only buy watches that I like to wear. However, assuming that you are ruling out older Omega Speedmasters on the basis of current cost only, I am thinking that your tastes lie in that direction. In that case I would be thinking of MKii Speedmasters or Flightmasters which still are undervalued in my opinion. Similarly, some of the lesser valued Heuer, such as the later, manual (7733/7734) Autavias, or Pasadenas or Montreals. My gut feeling is that these Omegas and Heuers will prove to be good investments over the next few years.
    FWIW, my 'hot tip'; any decent step dial Speedmaster.
    Alternatively, some of the Tissot watches from the same era will deliver a very similar experience to many Omega models, sharing the same DNA in many cases.
    Last edited by TomGW; 20th October 2016 at 11:39.

Journeyman
    I'd buy watches that are exclusive now and will be in the future. With impeccable quality and Class..... Watches that will never be mass produced and watches you have to look for.

My first buy would be a Pellikaan Flying Dutchman II handwinder.....

A boring solution, but non-date submariner would be my pick.

Craftsman
    Couple of seikos for me 007, spork, sumo as a start anyway :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Like Burnsey I would only buy watches that I like to wear. However, assuming that you are ruling out older Omega Speedmasters on the basis of current cost only, I am thinking that your tastes lie in that direction. In that case I would be thinking of MKii Speedmasters or Flightmasters which still are undervalued in my opinion. Similarly, some of the lesser valued Heuer, such as the later, manual (7733/7734) Autavias, or Pasadenas or Montreals. My gut feeling is that these Omegas and Heuers will prove to be good investments over the next few years.
    FWIW, my 'hot tip'; any decent step dial Speedmaster.
    Alternatively, some of the Tissot watches from the same era will deliver a very similar experience to many Omega models, sharing the same DNA in many cases.
    Interesting you say that as I passed up an opportunity to bid on a Pasadena at auction but liked the solidness of it and now regret not bidding.
    Current collection
    Omega MK2 (1970) being STS serviced
    Omega Great White (not sure age)
    Omega Connie non pie-pan gold fill (1966)
    Seiko Pogue (1975)
    Seiko Orange Monster 1st edition
    Seiko BFK
    Granddads General issue Smiths Pocket
    Dads Old watch pure sentiment
    Bidding on a CWC issued Quartz 3 hander

So thinking probably buy up Seiko's where available and maybe grab a Omega Dynamic Chrono when next flush. Later on can always flog the lot to buy a pre moon or nice Sub down the line. Luckily I have no interest in Daytona's at all so don't have to scratch that itch

I've a few cheap(ish) quartz and auto watches I rarely wear that I bought in my early watch interest days.

Looking back, I'd not have bothered with them.

M.

Blog Entries
    It depends on your interest. Some people only collect diver's watches. And I know about a guy who's collecting a complete mid-70s Seiko brochure! He wants to own every watch in that single catalog.

In short, it is what you like, what brings joy on your face.

Menno

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gallenos7 View Post
    A boring solution, but non-date submariner would be my pick.
    That was on my list also, ticked that off couple of months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You and your advocacy of 16600!
    I have misplaced mine and your comment about it being the best watch ever made the other day forced me to source another one.
    No doubt a good move. I had lots, but now only 3 Seadwellers :(

I doubt I could afford to allocate the funds again - but it is the best watch imho and has real history.
    It's just a matter of time...

Probably Jaeger Reverso and a vintage gold Garrard would be my starting point.