closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Admit it - who's bought a watch recently to avoid a price rise?

Master

Admit it - who's bought a watch recently to avoid a price rise?

Come on. Did anyone get in quick just to avoid a price hike. What did you snap up?

I imagine you're expecting tales of Rolexes etc, but... on Sunday night I ordered the Bulova 96B251 Special Edition Moon Chronograph Watch from H. S. Johnson for £312. 24 hours later it was listed on their website at £439!! Just luck on my part, to be honest...

Simon

Master
    Luckily not into modern Rolex so it's a no from me.

Yup, I'm guilty. Rolex Explorer I

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post

Exactly the same for me - 214270 Explorer I. Think it had one of the largest price rises too.

Not I.

I rarely buy new and if I did, it'd probably be a spur of the moment kind of thing.

There's nothing in Rolex's range I'd buy new (or probably used, if I'm honest), so their price rises never concern me.

They must love people who rush out to buy an expensive watch because the price is about to get EVEN higher, though

M

Journeyman
    I've had my eye on a Deepsea for a while and the impending price rise made my decision to purchase.Told the AD I was still broke after my last purchase and they threw in 2ys interest free credit which was handy.

Nope. I'm perfectly happy with my 36mm Explorer. I have, however, recently purchased a load of musical equipment before the distributors put their prices up due to weak £ vs $.

Picked up a new 116200 I have been thinking about for some time.

Craftsman
    Bought an old Datejust in anticipation of used prices rising in line with new. I'd had one on my wish list for a while, and Haywoods early rumblings of a price rise was just the nudge I needed when the right example came up. If there had not been the rumours I'd have probably waited until the new year.

Master
    I've been looking for a SubC non date, but nothing doing, so I bought a lovely old school SD from Haywood...

Yes, However it was not an impulse purchase.

Early last week I was fortunate to get a heads-up from an AD on a Basel 2016 Yacht-Master 116621 in Everose / Chocolate, which was reserved for me.

My AD contact is on vacation until later this week, when we had planned to complete the deal over a glass or two of champagne.

The YM had not been in stock for long, and they were quite happy to hold it for me until after the price rise - I don't think so.

Thankfully, I was able to rearrange some work commitments, and I collected this beautiful piece yesterday :

It is every bit as pretty as the Basel publicity shots suggest, and makes a nice change to the usual choice of white/black dial.
    Last edited by W124; 1st November 2016 at 11:29.

Master
    Not a watch but bought a camera instead to beat the Leica price increase today LOL

Craftsman
    Nope and no idea to what you are referring to either...

Craftsman
    Rolex DD40 228239 (£22.5K)

Can't say I bought it to beat the price rise, but the thought was in the back of my mind

Master
    Yes, Sub ND last month.

An LV in June.

To avoid a price increase? No

In time to enjoy the old price? Yes

Was the price increase a factor in when purchased? Possibly, but if so subliminally and very small influence.

Watch - Z-Blue

Month - August

I bought a Yacht-Master last Friday but only because it suddenly came in. Pure fluke it was before the increase.

Banned
    Bought a BLNR brand new a few weeks ago, paid over old list price for it but less than the new list price. Didn't feel comfortable paying more than list but I'm glad I did now !

Craftsman
    Yes, bought a Sub ND 3 weeks ago. Was on a list and one came up, so just lucky. Bummer was, they had a Sub date there as well, wish I'd bought them both.

Journeyman
    Yep, was lucky enough to get a call on a sub date, absolutely delighted with it. Seriously thought about an airking at the weekend in a last minute ditch to get best price but didn't as realised I haven't had the sub off since I got it and it's hard to justify buying anything in addition to such a good all rounder (well for the moment anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post

Early last week I was fortunate to get a heads-up from an AD on a Basel 2016 Yacht-Master 116621 in Everose / Chocolate, which was reserved for me.

My AD contact is on vacation until later this week, when we had planned to complete the deal over a glass or two of champagne.

The YM had not been in stock for long, and they were quite happy to hold it for me until after the price rise - I don't think so.

Thankfully, I was able to rearrange some work commitments, and I collected this beautiful piece yesterday :

It is every bit as pretty as the Basel publicity shots suggest, and makes a nice change to the usual choice of white/black dial.
    That is the most lovely Yacht Master. I think it needs the gold.

I definitely bought to avoid the price rise. Blue roman Datejust with a fluted bezel. One of the best things I have ever bought and glad that events pushed me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post

Congrats, some of the YMs and Exps went up over 11% so those were smart ones to get.

Craftsman
    Yes , SubC ND last month .

Master
    Just a thought, but if anyone saved a packet buying early because of price rise coverage they saw here on tz-uk, might it be nice to throw a token £5 or more into Eddie's fundraiser, particularly if a member who has not done so previously? Some tidy purchases made, ultimately thanks to our host and this forum.

Haywood

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Nearly bought one on Friday at 4300 and hoping my dealer will match the price when I call back in but currently in Poland so will wait and see.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Come on. Did anyone get in quick just to avoid a price hike. What did you snap up?
    Just the opposite - I sold a Rolex Sub Date Ceramic on Thursday morning before I read about the price hike !!! Doh !!!!

maseman

AD phoned 4 weeks ago tomorrow to say they had a BLNR in and I was top of the list.

I joined the list in January and I might have been put off if they phoned tomorrow, but very happy with the timing!

Grand Master
    In a moment of madness I thought about buying a Rolex 116000, a watch I`ve always liked, prompted by the imminent price rise. Blue explorer-style dial was the one I fancied and that would've 'displaced' the Explorer I`ve owned for several years....can`t have two watches so similar. In the end I saw sense and decided not to bother.

Having pondered whether to sell my 2002 16234 Datejust the price rise has persuaded me to keep it. Second-hand Rolex prices will keep creeping upwards so there's no sense in letting it go; every time I`ve sold one it's gone up in value and keeping the watch would've been justified.

Swapping the Datejust dial back to the original white might rekindle the love..........that's a job for a rainy afternoon.

Paul

Master
    I bought a heap. All Rolex, all stuff I've been wanting for a while, some new, some used. I'll do an incoming thread once I collect the last of them. I'm going to ration their "release" to me but they are at least secured.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I bought a heap. All Rolex, all stuff I've been wanting for a while, some new, some used. I'll do an incoming thread once I collect the last of them. I'm going to ration their "release" to me but they are at least secured.
    Your nuts! Well done. How big is a heap?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Just a thought, but if anyone saved a packet buying early because of price rise coverage they saw here on tz-uk, might it be nice to throw a token £5 or more into Eddie's fundraiser
    Great suggestion - and donation made.