closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Braun Quartz accuracy

Master

Braun Quartz accuracy

I picked up one of the 'Secret Sales' Braun BN0106 and am very impressed with the overall quality and finish. However, I'm much less impressed with the accuracy - it's losing about 9 secs / 24 hours. So much for quartz accuracy - my 1968 Speedmaster manages about -2secs/day.
    I set it with my atomic G-Shock yesterday, around noon, and noticed it was about 3 secs slow last night. It's now 9-10 secs slow. How can this be? I know it's not an Aerospace (mine was less than 2 secs out in the half year from the start to the end of DST) but a quartz digital is normally much better than this.

I received my silver finish Braun at the weekend, and have just set it to the second with a £30 Casio Waveceptor radio watch.

I will check at lunchtime tomorrow and post here.

Master
    That's shockingly bad for quartz ie send it back bad! In practice, you measure the accuracy of even ordinary quartz watches in seconds per year!

Master
    Yes, something faulty there. Annoying. And unusual for Quartz.

My dealings with their customer service, after they sent me the wrong style, is starting to turn into a bit or an ordeal.

They asked me to provide images of the 'wrong' watch ! I've sent them 8 photos of the black watch which should be silver, a copy of my order and also a copy of their dispatch order all stating Silver .. I'm still waiting a reply.

Spoke to them over the phone today and they have emailed a return label, but they have no idea if they have any silver left and I've no confirmation from them if I will get my original order.

Blog Entries
    Send back for a full refund under distance sale rules. Just say you don't want it, doesn't even have to be faulty if returned within 14days.

As a quick update, after 6 hours it is accurate to the second against the Waveceptor.

It looks as though you may have a problem - I will confirm the timings again tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    I picked up one of the 'Secret Sales' Braun BN0106 and am very impressed with the overall quality and finish. However, I'm much less impressed with the accuracy - it's losing about 9 secs / 24 hours. So much for quartz accuracy - my 1968 Speedmaster manages about -2secs/day.
    I set it with my atomic G-Shock yesterday, around noon, and noticed it was about 3 secs slow last night. It's now 9-10 secs slow. How can this be? I know it's not an Aerospace (mine was less than 2 secs out in the half year from the start to the end of DST) but a quartz digital is normally much better than this.
    My first thought is that your Braun has a dodgy battery.

I really like the original German models. I'm wearing an AW24 GMT at the moment.

Journeyman
    I think it's a great watch, I have owned for for a while now, never thought to check the accuracy though! Will do so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That is shockingly bad, send it back for a refund or replacement...

Journeyman
    Twixt is telling me mine is 1.8 seconds per day, no idea how accurate that is though or over how much time you should average to get an accurate reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    My first thought is that your Braun has a dodgy battery.
    Is that possible with a quartz digital? I was under the impression that it would either perform accurately or not at all.

I'm going to try to get it exchanged. If I thought it was simply a battery problem I would prefer to get it changed locally, rather than take my chances with Secret Sales customer care.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Is that possible with a quartz digital? I was under the impression that it would either perform accurately or not at all.
    That would depend on the power circuitry of whatever is inside that Braun. If it's voltage-sensing, then yes, it should run while the voltage is correct and then quit when the voltage drops. If it doesn't then it simply trusts that the battery delivers the voltage according to spec. But a dodgy battery can have slightly variable voltage. It wouldn't take huge fluctuations to change the timekeeping by a few extra seconds per day. This is speculation rather than diagnosis, since I can't run a battery tester over your Braun's power cell.