closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More bike related stuff

Hybrid View

On average, how much does a bike seat lower by once you sit on it? Can you adjust the suspension to lower it a bit as well?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    On average, how much does a bike seat lower by once you sit on it? Can you adjust the suspension to lower it a bit as well?
    When you sit on the bike and it goes down this is called Sag in suspension parlance . Road bike normally sag 20 mm at the rear and 25 mm the front. Thats on a well set up road bike.

If you sit on something like a Ktm Crosser sag will be about 100 mm. As also stated above this is what the frame is doing , squishy seats all add to lowering.

You can lower it by reducing pre load, trouble is if you do this too much, then the suspension feels very crashy and can bottom out.
    You can lower a bike by dropping the fork yolk through the forks, eg shortening the forks. But this has to be done carefully as it sharpens up and quickens the steering, eg tank slappers!

Why do I know this, cos Im a short arse and like big bikes! Classic case.

Best tip given to me by Tony Archer ( seat builder over Huddersfield way) is when taking foam out of a seat to reduce height, maintain the curvature of the seat. If the seat goes too flat eg just a seat pan, then your thighs get splayed more thus shortening your overall leg length. Thats why bikes with narrow seats afford lowest feel.
    Last edited by higham5; 16th August 2018 at 20:49.