TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 125 of 365 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,250 of 18224

Thread: More bike related stuff

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ha ha ha T!
    ive been looking at that one, it was literally on the tab next to TZ

Quite like this one as well https://www.jemspeedshop.co.uk/used/...577/#top-image

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Ha ha ha T!

Quite like this one as well https://www.jemspeedshop.co.uk/used/...577/#top-image
    Also nice but the T100 is an upgraded and updated spec and finish. I think it’s the better buy, personally.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, its beautiful. Bit of a budget stretcher though as I had 5-6k in mind.
    I guess its balancing longevity though.

More bike related stuff

Yeah, its beautiful. Bit of a budget stretcher though as I had 5-6k in mind.
    I guess its balancing longevity though.
    You won’t outgrow the T100, Celia. It would be a rock solid buy.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th July 2020 at 11:46.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I like it , I bought it new in June last year , and despite being in storage ( moving house) and Covid i have managed to do 1200 miles. They are deceptively roomy and comfy to ride. The handling is OK , but you are aware of the small wheels. Main limitation is fast A roads / dual carriageways where quite frankly you shouldnt be on. Fuel consumption is bonkers, 214 mpg when running in , currently about 160 to 180. Tank doesnt even take 5L.

You cant park without an ad hoc chat with a stranger, who “ used to have one” or just like it. Surprisingly the insurance can be a bit toppy as its easily nicked by lifting them up. I have it on a classic multi bike policy for under £50 yr.

Steve
    cheers,I really want one, one day

Ha ha ha T!

Whilst there's quite a price difference, it's worth noting that there were a fair few changes for 2017, so the 2018 one is the current watercooled bike whereas the 2014 one is the earlier air cooled bike.

This is worth a watch

https://youtu.be/LOY2iTf2GQ8

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Whilst there's quite a price difference, it's worth noting that there were a fair few changes for 2017, so the 2018 one is the current watercooled bike whereas the 2014 one is the earlier air cooled bike.

This is worth a watch

https://youtu.be/LOY2iTf2GQ8
    Good review, that!

Get your deposit paid, Celia!!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Steady on!
    My preferred 2 at the moment are the Moto Guzzi v7 II or the Ducati Scrambler 800. They're a bit more budget and beginner friendly.
    Subject to change after test driving etc.

Another interesting pic for Tony, discuss................

I really like that!

Steady on!
    My preferred 2 at the moment are the Moto Guzzi v7 II or the Ducati Scrambler 800. They're a bit more budget and beginner friendly.
    Whilst they’ve improved drastically over the years, Italian bikes are always a heart over head decision.

They will always be more costly to run than a Japanese/ German or even Triumph and generally not as reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Whilst they’ve improved drastically over the years, Italian bikes are always a heart over head decision.
    They will always be more costly to run than a Japanese/ German or even Triumph and generally not as reliable.
    Yeah but it's a bit like owning an Alfa, isn't it?
    (if I can bring a 4-wheeled thing in here)
    It makes no sense at all except that it does.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Bums!
    What do you think of the W800 ?

Bums!
    You can’t go wrong with a W800. They’re the closest thing yo a genuine 60s Triumph test you can buy, but with Japanese reliability and no oil leaks.
    Kawasaki bought the design of their original W1 from Triumph in the sixties and the W650 was a more modern take on the original W1; the W800 is an update on the W650.

Master
    Nice ride out today, which I videoed using the wife’s GoPro..... mounted on my chest got a great view of the top of the tank and nowt else..👎

Bums!
    Frankly, not a patch on the T100 (or the Street Twin for that matter). Reviews seem mediocre at best.

I spent the afternoon blatting around on this Buell Ulysses today.
    A mate has bought it and i picked it up for him from the seller and will store it until he can collect.
    I was expecting lots of vibes but it was surprisingly smooth other than at idle, and even then the vibes were not harsh but well damped and not annoying or unpleasant.
    Long-legged gearing - especially first - gives a fuss-free and relaxed ride but it has the torque there when you want to make brisk progress, nice - i much prefer low-revving punchy engines to screamers..
    My right leg got very hot - the engine kicks out a lot of heat..
    Lovely `braaappp` exhaust note on the downshifts.
    It lifts the front end quite easily..

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Nice ride out today, which I videoed using the wife’s GoPro..... mounted on my chest got a great view of the top of the tank and nowt else..👎

Heyup Enoch

Have they put average speed cams on the B4501 ? One of the lads I was out with last weekend was upset at it, I’m sure he said it was that road....

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    A mate has bought it and i picked it up for him from the seller and will store it until he can collect.
    I was expecting lots of vibes but it was surprisingly smooth other than at idle, and even then the vibes were not harsh but well damped and not annoying or unpleasant.
    Long-legged gearing - especially first - gives a fuss-free and relaxed ride but it has the torque there when you want to make brisk progress, nice - i much prefer low-revving punchy engines to screamers..

Stockbridge (or just around the corner). I was there myself a few weeks ago. I'd love a Ulysses.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post

Get thee behind me, Satan!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Heyup Enoch

Have they put average speed cams on the B4501 ? One of the lads I was out with last weekend was upset at it, I’m sure he said it was that road....

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yup and on the A543 which is the other leg of the evo triangle... speed limit is still 60 though.

Quote Originally Posted by simesman View Post
    Stockbridge (or just around the corner). I was there myself a few weeks ago. I'd love a Ulysses.
    Yep, the eel traps on the Leckford Estate. It`s a regular stop-off point on my `Test Valley Circuit`..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post

Always wanted a Buell. You're not helping any.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Ooops

Just been for a test ride on an MT-01. Completely nuts bike, but can’t decide if it’s for me, I’ll have to sleep on it .

That is gorgeous...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Just found out my trip to the Pyrenees on the Africa Twin has been postponed until September. Was due to catch the ferry tomorrow but my mate’s wife has been taken ill. Oh well.

That's a lovely looking Twirl...best colour too!
    My overseas hoon was cancelled too....oh well......
    Hope your mate's wife gets well soon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    That's a lovely looking Twirl...best colour too!
    My overseas hoon was cancelled too....oh well......
    Hope your mate's wife gets well soon.
    Thanks. She’s ok, has had stent fitted but apparently no damage to the heart.

Sorry to hear yours was cancelled and hope you find something else soon.

Started here picking out bikes ...

Decided to go off roading.

Twenty miles each way once we hit the woods

This is the only seemingly smooth part... hence the only photo as had to hang on the rest of the way.

Managed a nice refreshing swim at the halfway point

Then back home just in time for supper!

Can I ask for some thoughts on tyres, please? My current stock Metzeler Z8s are nearing end of life, and I've been thinking about what to replace them with. Initially I thought I'd just pop some Road 5s on, but then I started thinking about what I actually need. It seems to me that I don't need to worry about squeezing every bit of speed out of the bike, because it's not that kind of bike and I'm not that kind of rider. However, it would be nice to feel a bit more confident on less than perfect roads, light green lanes, gravel, etc as I do find myself in those environments reasonably regularly and when I am I'm never happy on pure road tyres.

Accordingly, I've been pondering over fitting some dual purpose tyres (70/30 or 80/20, so mainly road use), and have a shortlist that comprises the following:

• Continental TKC 70
    • Pirelli MT60
    • Bridgestone Battlax AX41S
    • Dunlop New Mutant

Any thoughts on/experience with any of these, or the decision to go with dual purpose generally?

Thanks Ian. I've considered most of them; some are too knobbly, one (the Tourance) doesn't come in the right size for my rear wheel and others don't seem to stack up against those on my list or aren't quite right for the use I envisage.

It's not easy to pin down the one to go with, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks Ian. I've considered most of them; some are too knobbly, one (the Tourance) doesn't come in the right size for my rear wheel and others don't seem to stack up against those on my list or aren't quite right for the use I envisage.

It's not easy to pin down the one to go with, actually.
    It'll be worth looking at comparative tyre tests though, as likelihood is that TZ riders may have experience of one, maybe two tyres.

I'm sure Ryan F9 did a tyre test a while back.

I would just like to say that I know of no tyre that will save you from a bit of gravel on an otherwise tarmac road...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    It'll be worth looking at comparative tyre tests though, as likelihood is that TZ riders may have experience of one, maybe two tyres.

I'm sure Ryan F9 did a tyre test a while back.
    I'll have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I would just like to say that I know of no tyre that will save you from a bit of gravel on an otherwise tarmac road...
    True, but I'd still like to give myself a bit more light off-road capability as it seems more relevant than extra grip for more speed (if that makes sense).

Master
    Not sure if they are available/suitable for your bike, but I've had the Continental Trail Attack 3's on my GS for the last 6k miles (having replaced the stock Michelin Anakee Adventures after about 7k). The difference has been night and day. Of course I use my bike 95% on-road and that's where the tyres excel - but on the odd occasion I find myself off-piste, I've not had any concerns.

Here's a picture - and a review:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...-3-tyre-review

I will be replacing mine in a month or so and will definitely fit the same again.

True, but I'd still like to give myself a bit more light off-road capability as it seems more relevant than extra grip for more speed (if that makes sense).
    I had understood both what you meant and your intention, T :)
    I just think that road workers who leave gravel on a tarmac road, in a turn, should be hanged, drawn and quartered. That is all.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    The Pirelli MT60 has a good reputation as a duel purpose tyre... quite a few of the Bobber guys on the forum I use have fitted them just for the look, as they’ll never take a Bobber off road, but say they’re excellent on tarmac.
    The scrambler guys say they perform well on the loose.... so good reviews from both tarmac and loose..

Your bike is designed as a road bike Tony, it’s not on off road bike or even a dual purpose.

You could put a dual purpose tyre on it but the riding position and suspension make more difference to riding on gravel than tyres do.

My advice would be to stick to the road or get a bike more suited to going off road if that’s what you want to do.

You could modify your bike to suit with longer forks, a 19 or 21 inch front wheel, longer rear shocks and repositioning the bars and legs to suit but it’s not really worth it IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I had understood both what you meant and your intention, T :)
    I just think that road workers who leave gravel on a tarmac road, in a turn, should be hanged, drawn and quartered. That is all.
    No argument form me!

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    The Pirelli MT60 has a good reputation as a duel purpose tyre... quite a few of the Bobber guys on the forum I use have fitted them just for the look, as they’ll never take a Bobber off road, but say they’re excellent on tarmac.
    The scrambler guys say they perform well on the loose.... so good reviews from both tarmac and loose..
    Thanks Andy.

Your bike is designed as a road bike Tony, it’s not on off road bike or even a dual purpose.

You could put a dual purpose tyre on it but the riding position and suspension make more difference to riding on gravel than tyres do.

My advice would be to stick to the road or get a bike more suited to going off road if that’s what you want to do.

You could modify your bike to suit with longer forks, a 19 or 21 inch front wheel, longer rear shocks and repositioning the bars and legs to suit but it’s not really worth it IMHO.
    Understood, Dave, but my use of the term "off-road" is probably misleading. I'm talking more about poor roads/road surfaces than terrains that will test the suspension or the ground clearance.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on Motorcycle Comms systems?

The only experience I've had was with Autocom back in 2008 with separate walkie-talkies and wires everywhere.....even then they were pretty useless. I had a great ride out yesterday with a younger friend and he has a Sena bluetooth setup which he pairs with everything and uses for chatting on various rides. He couldn't understand why I didn't have one too.

A quick trawl of the internet/Youtube suggests that the current best buys are Sena (various) and Cardo Packtalk. What's been the collective recent experience on here......is it something worth investing in? It's good to talk.....as Busby used to say.

Any thoughts on/experience with any of these, or the decision to go with dual purpose generally?
    What bike and what percentage of your riding is done off road?

the tyres you have listed are enduro tyres (your bike is not built for this -someone already pointed that out)
    pilot road 4/5's are a great tyre (i have these myself)

*normal road tyres for your bike will cope perfectly well with a rough road and a bit of gravel
    Last edited by pugster; 20th July 2020 at 10:09.

I find them quite a distraction, and my ability to get the motorcycle to go where I want it to when I'm using a Comms system is greatly impacted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    What bike and what percentage of your riding is done off road?
    It's an R9T, and as described above.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    the tyres you have listed are enduro tyres (your bike is not built for this -someone already pointed that out)
    pilot road 4/5's are a great tyre (i have these myself)

*normal road tyres for your bike will cope perfectly well with a rough road and a bit of gravel
    I think only Pirelli is marketed as an enduro tyre; the others are marketed and sold as crossover/dual purpose with a ratio that heavily favours road use.

TKC 70 is positioned for light to medium off-road use with extraordinary street performance.

MUTANT’s extremely evolved M+S pattern delivers a unique combination of superior cold and wet grip, sports handling and touring durability. So you’re ready to conquer all conditions, every time you ride.

AX41S adopts the latest technologies in terms of compounding, a directly derivate from Bridgestone’s Sport-Touring category, to ensure great road performances.
    It's pretty normal to see crossover-type tyres on modern classic/heritage bikes. I just want to pin down the best option for me and the way I ride.

Can I ask for some thoughts on tyres, please? My current stock Metzeler Z8s are nearing end of life, and I've been thinking about what to replace them with. Initially I thought I'd just pop some Road 5s on, but then I started thinking about what I actually need. It seems to me that I don't need to worry about squeezing every bit of speed out of the bike, because it's not that kind of bike and I'm not that kind of rider. However, it would be nice to feel a bit more confident on less than perfect roads, light green lanes, gravel, etc as I do find myself in those environments reasonably regularly and when I am I'm never happy on pure road tyres.

Accordingly, I've been pondering over fitting some dual purpose tyres (70/30 or 80/20, so mainly road use), and have a shortlist that comprises the following:

• Continental TKC 70
    • Pirelli MT60
    • Bridgestone Battlax AX41S
    • Dunlop New Mutant

I've got Conti TKC80 Twinduros on my Tribsa and they're good and squirmy when you get it over onto the edges. You can feel them roll around and dig in as the blocks in the tread squidge around. That's expected on a scrambler but it's a diabolical trait on a road bike.

I loathe Michelin's with a passion. I've had several different varieties of Pilot and they all end up with a hard slippery crust on them after a while that makes you feel like you're riding on buttered glass. If you're going to bin it, you'll most likely bin it on a Michelin. I'd rather give my money to Pirelli or Metzeler. Vastly better tyres.

I'm with Dave+63. Road bikes need road tyres. If you keep finding yourself on green lanes and gravel tracks you'd probably be better off on an adventure bike.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 20th July 2020 at 10:36.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I loathe Michelin's with a passion. I've had several different varieties of Pilot and they all end up with a hard slippery crust on them after a while that makes you feel like you're riding on buttered glass. If you're going to bin it, you'll most likely bin it on a Michelin. I'd rather give my money to Pirelli or Metzeler. Vastly better tyres.
    This just shows how subjective tyre brands are. I couldn’t wait to get rid of the Pirelli Diablo Rosso’s off my XDiavel. Had no confidence in them whatsoever.
    Replaced with Michelin pilot power 3, and it’s a different bike..

Steady on!
    I'd highly recommend the Guzzi V7 - Here's my old one that was customised. ( Sold it and regretted ever since!).

- Quite small bikes
    - Not loads of power, but enough!
    - Loads of character and great sound
    - Mine didn't have great suspension, so I assume they have upgraded since, and I think the newer ones have ABS as well.
    - No chain so minimum maintenance.

I used mine all throughout the year in January etc when I didn't have a car at the time, it never let me down, which for me and Italian bikes is a first.

Piers

A quick trawl of the internet/Youtube suggests that the current best buys are Sena (various) and Cardo Packtalk. What's been the collective recent experience on here......is it something worth investing in? It's good to talk.....as Busby used to say.
    I find them useful but mainly for using Waze so I can hear the warnings, and to listen to music on my long motorway commute. I have Sena integrated into a Shoei Air which works really well.