closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ciggie lighter for a gal - decent one for 25th anniv ball and chain - help please

ciggie lighter for a gal - decent one for 25th anniv ball and chain - help please

so next year is 25 years of wedded thingy ... anyway swmbo is a smoker and that aint going to change (i am poacher turned gamekeeper - but heyho).

she has for ages used those nasty plastic disposable things but i was thinking how about something a bit nicer as part of our 'be out by now if we'd murdered someone' celebrations.

something that will stand up to everyday use, i am pretty handy but simple maintenance would be good. doesn't have to be silver - frankly decent durable understated quality would be better.

HELP! last time i lit a tab it was off one of me mates sometime in the 00's in a factory carpark in milan - long boring story best not worried about. Anyway HELP!

buget - deffo under a grand! frankly under a monkey might also keep me in the good books when she googles it.
    what is out there? it was zippo when i was younger and somehow still not cool - please tell me there are better options ...

did i mention HELP!

personally i like dunhill as a brand, if that helps, but dunno if they do something for the bossier sex!

cheers

p.s. Help!

Not sure if they still make them, but I remember seeing very feminine lighters in Cartier many years ago.
    It's just a matter of time...

Something from ST Dupont would probably fit the bill - French brand on a par with Cartier, more or less. The top-end lighters are at the upper limit of your budget, but can be engraved with initials usually - a nice touch. Otherwise the Ligne 2 and Slim 7 come in some nice pastel, girlie colours.

Here's the UK page, showing prices

https://uk.st-dupont.com/collections/lighters
    Last edited by SimonK; 5th October 2022 at 23:00.

ST Dupont for sure.

Dunhill Rollagas. I owned two of the Barley Corn designed models, but sold them when I stopped smoking

Cartier. Last time I owned one. Would only accept the adapter from Cartier cans (not cheap)

Dupont look nice, but you have to buy a generic adapter off Ebay to use with generic canisters

Dunhill worked with Ronson canisters as they can with adaptors. Nice smooth action.

Liked the action on the Cartier, but I lived uptown and had to travel downtown to buy tiny cans at $6.00 ea. and that was 40 years ago

Owned two this Dunhill model

DON

any and all assistance much appreciated

not time pressed as yet, so keep the ideas coming please

thanks for the above suggestions - i will investigate ...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Definitely Dupont imo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    it was zippo when i was younger and somehow still not cool - please tell me there are better options ...
    Zippo is not cool?

Porsche Design are worth a look...lovely lighters but are maybe a bit masculine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master

Master
    Surely there’s got to be a glut of second hand knocking about for next to nothing?

Smile

What's wrong with a nice box of Swan Vesta's?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chaplad View Post
    What's wrong with a nice box of Swan Vesta's?
    Are they even still available?

Master
    Dunhill Rollagas. I bought one earlier this year to light my biannual cigar. It's a gold and red enamel model that look like this (image nabbed off the web).

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I am not a smoker and know nothing about lighters but I think that a lighter is something very easily lost or left on a table at a restaurant etc and gone forever. I would imagine most smokers have lost their disposable lighters fairly frequently.

If I were you I’d buy her a lovely piece of jewellery to wear.

Please feel free to ignore me - I know you asked about lighters and my post is entirely uncalled-for ‘advice’!

ciggie lighter for a gal - decent one for 25th anniv ball and chain - help please

Has to be a Dunhill , bought this 20 years ago. Stopped smoking cigarettes 16 years ago. Now use it light the occasional cigar.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Zippo is not cool?
    For men who enjoy the servicing, cleaning and stripping down then I suppose so - always looked a right faff to me.

https://www.loveoflighters.co.uk

Some nice stuff on here, if she would accept vintage (rather than see it as second hand!). May be possible to find a wedding year vintage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    As someone who owns both I’d say the ST DuPont over the Dunhill.

The Dunhill is nice, well made & easily recognised much like, Well a Rolex.

The ST Dupont is bit less obvious more like a JLC or GO?
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 9th October 2022 at 08:39. Reason: Dyslexic transpose.

Still looking but Dunhill ahead by a country mile unless there are any fresh suggestions.
    Everyone's input much appreciated.

If you do go for a Dunhill , ( i brought a Rollagas from this forum years ago)
    You can send it to Alan Beardow who services and repairs them
    I have his email if you need it

Cheers

A left field vintage choice from me ,have a look at caran d'ache ,nice pens as well !
    Rothschild lighters are another make
    Dunhill and St Dupont are easiest to look after .
    Good luck with the hunt

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Zippo is not cool?
    How can you tell someone is a Zippo man? He smells of petrol and asks for a light.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    How can you tell someone is a Zippo man? He smells of petrol and asks for a light.
    <chortle>

The Land Rover of lighters.

Master
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Ronson+...ref=nb_sb_noss

I have used these Ronson Premier lighters for about 20 years without problem and can recommend them.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 10th October 2022 at 19:38.

St Dupont.

I own several, the oldest (diamond head Gatsby) has been dropped, bashed, rattled wiith my keys and still going strong, it’s also nicely daily use size vs a the larger Ligne 1 i also own.

The ping is nice, servicing is easy, they use zippo flints and the build quality/fit & finish is reflected in the price (of most of them)

However, Things to consider
    - depending on the lighter, they have different screw in gas inputs, and depending on the lighter can be tempermental when it comes to gas (especialy any jet model), and its worth getting a an adapter to refill on newsagent gas.
    - crap in the wind, get a zippo.
    - buy a proper french made, machined brass Dupont… not a stamped steel jet flame from China, i have a few of these including a defy extreme as a knock around lighter and it works great, but it replaced a Ligne 2 Torch, which was a stunner, but had all sorts of problems.

This is my old Mum’s Ronson Wirlwind circa 1950. She’s still alive and kickin at 93! The lighter does require a service but not bad for 70 years!!

An interesting read on this lighter model.

https://style.oversubstance.net/2017...lwind-lighter/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wildheart; 13th October 2022 at 09:54.

I am going to say the Dunhill as well. I do have one of their lighters and I dont even smoke, its just a thing of beauty. Its the dunhill unique.

https://www.dunhill.com/al/lighters_cod51124817rb.html