closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gordon's orange gin

Master

Gordon's orange gin

Considering a bottle as a gift but concerned it could just bit like alcoholic Tango. I'd value any opinions.

(Don't ask me why I trust the opinions of you lot vs. online reviews but strangely I do!).

Thanks.

Master
    If you fancy a bit of citrus in your gin, of the two, my preference is actually the Beefeater Blood Orange. Goes nicely with a drop of Fever Tree, a good helping of ice and a couple of slices of lime. It's a bit of fun but really quite pleasant if you're in the mood.
    I've not tried the Tanqueray Flor de Sevilla but I'm sure someone has and can comment.

We have Whitley Neill pineapple gin in the house, the wife loves it, it's surprisingly nice every once in a while but I never go back for a second glass. They do a blood orange gin that's decent too. As a gift, why not? It's not like you're giving them a bottle of Chatreuse.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    I’ve had a few bottles of Tanqueray Flor de Sevilla, which is rather nice.

Master
    For crying out loud, ready flavoured gin is second rate.

Buy a decent gin of your choice and add the fruit of your choice (decent fruit) and add to taste.

The ready made may be convenient but it's slop compared to the real thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    This

Master
    Another thumbs up for the beefeater blood orange, but honestly the Tanqueray Sevilla and the Rangpur (lime) are absolutely unbeatable.
    I've had the sicilian lemon Gordon's and the pink one whatever that is - fairly unimpressed.

Gordon's Lemon gin is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Another thumbs up for the beefeater blood orange, but honestly the Tanqueray Sevilla and the Rangpur (lime) are absolutely unbeatable.
    I've had the sicilian lemon Gordon's and the pink one whatever that is - fairly unimpressed.
    +1 for the Tanqueray Rangpur (Lime) I've also enjoyed the Malfi Limon.

Unfortunately I don't really like Gordons Gin at all so I would also concur with an earlier post in that buy a better quality gin and add the flavor of your choice to it
    As it's coming up to Christmas most supermarkets are doing offers on some nice ones

You could use https://www.trolley.co.uk/ to compare prices

I can recommend Caorunn, Sipsmith, Gin Mare and The Botanist as my current favorites

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    ...it could just bit like alcoholic Tango.
    You say that like it's a bad thing !!

... I'd value any opinions.

Thanks.
    I bought this from Amazon for last Christmas, I've repurchased it since, lovely - Malfy Con Arancia Sicilian Blood Orange Flavoured Italian Gin.
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produc...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

But, ignore that, you'll want this one (on special offer too) - Jaffa Cakes, hhhmmmmmm...
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Jaffa-Ora...ry%2C90&sr=1-5

(Don't ask me why I trust the opinions of you lot vs. online reviews but strangely I do!).

Oooh, OUCH, that cuts deep !

Alcopops.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

Buy a decent gin of your choice and add the fruit of your choice (decent fruit) and add to taste.

Absolutely Mick

The Cotswold Distillery do two Bitters, Grapefruit, and Lavender which are great additions to any Gin. Just a couple of drops of either really bumps up a Gin to another level - don't need anything else but a good tonic, ice, and a slice of Grapefruit or a sprig of Lavender for dressing depending which bitters you use.

https://www.cotswoldsdistillery.com/...tswold+bitters

Their Gin's are rather good too, though I marginally prefer Tarquins Cornish Dry Gin - both knock the stuff you buy in a supermarket into a cocked hat. There's so many excellent Gins out there that I can't remember the last time I bought a bottle in a supermarket.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

For crying out loud, ready flavoured alcohol is second rate.

Buy a decent pure alcohol, and add the 'botanicals' of your choice.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Agnostura do Orange bitters - a couple of drops in your G/T is very nice

Of the Gin's listed I'd go for Tanqueray Sevilla as easily available in Supermarkets, but if you are happy to order online then you won't beat Tarquins Blood Orange gin.

https://shop.tarquinsgin.com/collections/all/products/tarquins-cornish-sunshine-blood-orange-gin

Red face

...adding botanicals to neat vodka isn't the same at all.

Cold-distilled gins made which have been infused with various botanicals - juniper, plus others, will always have a richer and more subtle flavour than bunging in some orange peel and various herbs into your favourite plonk.

I had a tour of a local Gin micro-distillery recently (Griffiths Brothers in Penn) and their stuff is REALLY nice. :)

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    For crying out loud, ready flavoured alcohol is second rate.

Buy a decent pure alcohol, and add the 'botanicals' of your choice.

Tanqueray Seville and Fever Tree Mediterranean tonic

Master
    A friend bought me a bottle of Whitley Neil blood orange gin last year. I quite enjoyed it. However, not being a gin person, i would have preferred a bottle of whisky.

Lemon is the new orange

This is what you want, don't go for their orange one:-

https://www.malfygin.com/en/our-gins/con-limone/

Master
    Warners rhubarb gin for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Far better choice than the Gordon’s. As is the Liverpool gin offering.

Craftsman
    You could try Half Hitch Pink Gin.
    https://www.halfhitch.london/

I've used their small bottles of pink gin as a Secret Santa for the office - went down well.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Bought a bottle of that - to make my version of Negronis, but ultimately preferred the bog-standard Tanqueray - which is probably my favourite gin.

you can pretty much get away with putting orange peel (no pith) or any other citrus into ready made gin and just letting it soak as the compounds you want from it are soluble in alchohol (the only thing you would lose from distilling the orange peel is the colour ( if you want to speed up the process just put the bottle into a hot water bath)
    the gin itself it another matter , it has to be distilled (either hot or cold) - just soaking juniper /corriander seed and other herbs in base alcohol produces nasty tasting garbage.

* soon be time to start looking for sloes , which imo is the best thing to do with gin at this time of year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    you can pretty much get away with putting orange peel (no pith) or any other citrus into ready made gin and just letting it soak as the compounds you want from it are soluble in alchohol (the only thing you would lose from distilling the orange peel is the colour ( if you want to speed up the process just put the bottle into a hot water bath)
    the gin itself it another matter , it has to be distilled (either hot or cold) - just soaking juniper /corriander seed and other herbs in base alcohol produces nasty tasting garbage.

* soon be time to start looking for sloes , which imo is the best thing to do with gin at this time of year.
    Fever Tree can make a mediocre gin taste good. However if I wanted a decent gin with orange, it would be a gin + a slice of fresh orange with the peel still on it plus a standard tonic from Fever tree.

The problem is that buying decent juicy oranges in the UK is nigh impossible whereas in Spain I have my own Orange trees so I can pick much more luscious Oranges than are available in the UK.

Brits have an international reputation for eating second rate food. Half the reason is that a high percentage of food is imported and the growers keep the decent for their own markets. The quality of food sold in Spanish supermarkets puts even Waitrose to shame.

Flavoured gin lacks vibrancy, someone mentioned Rhubarb, we have several clumps in the garden and gin + tonic + sliced fresh Rhubarb taste heck of a lot better than the flavoured stuff.

Fresh food is always better than ready made.

Craftsman
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMM

https://chasedistillery.co.uk/produc...lade-gin-70cl/

Very Good Very Nice......

Regards

V

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Far better choice than the Gordon’s. As is the Liverpool gin offering.
    Gordons Yellow label export which is over 47% is the original recipe and still fantastic - pick it up in Duty Free. The UK stuff in the green bottle is boring.

Of the brands most seen in Supermarkets, I like Plymouth Gin a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    +1 I enjoy this and the lime variant.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post

Sloes in my area already gone - I have mine done and bottled. (Sep Picking/Steeping Dec Filter/Bottling)