closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Redwing Moc Toe Query

Redwing Moc Toe Query

I used to have a pair of Redwing Moc Toe books in UK10.5, I’m normally a UK11 but was told to go half a size down.

I’d purchased a second hand pair of eBay basically as new and they were a good fit, stupidly got rid of them years later when I started having a foot problem when I thought it was the boots giving me grief but it turned out to be something else.

So I ordered a new pair of Moc Toe in UK10.5 and I’m can barely get my feet into them?

I’ve read a load of stories about having to break them in and they will stretch and for ok.

Is this really the case as they are an expensive boot to try this theory out in the hope they will fit.

Or should I just send them back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Martylaa; 22nd February 2023 at 11:05.

Send them back.

had iron rangers and found the fit good snug - incidentally not comfortable for all day wear - overrated generally i thought.

have the chukka boots (see other thread) which are a good fit in both thick/regular socks. lurve them !

have mock toe boots (got there eventually) and would say they are a good fit in thick socks.

i am almost an 11 (UK) ,my boots are 11 (UK) - would I recommend trying to stretch out a pair NO! - especially as you had previous foot issues. It does sound like you are wearing your boots a bit too tight if you are fighting to get into boots you then need to stretch.

personally i didnt find any of my red wings needed any significant breaking in - but i have been in boots almost all of my life.

hope this helps.
    Last edited by bigbaddes; 22nd February 2023 at 11:17.

I have a pair of Redwing Chukkad coming today in UK11.

I’ll see how they fit and then have a think, strange thing was in my old Moc Toe I can never remember them being tight to get on.

But then you read loads on the internet saying you have to order a half size down and break them in to fit nicely.

Craftsman
    I got a pair of moc toes a few weeks ago. I ordered 2 pairs, a half size down and a full size down to try them back to back. I went with the full size down. They are easy to put on and don’t feel too small. They are snug across the width of my foot but there’s still loads of room at the ends. I got a blister on one of my heels the first time out but they’ve had a few hours use now and are starting to break in nicely. I’m hoping they give a bit more across the width though. I think I could’ve got away with just going a half size down but they looked like clown shoes on me! Trying out different sizes is the only way for you to be certain.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I got a pair of moc toes a few weeks ago. I ordered 2 pairs, a half size down and a full size down to try them back to back. I went with the full size down. They are easy to put on and don’t feel too small. They are snug across the width of my foot but there’s still loads of room at the ends. I got a blister on one of my heels the first time out but they’ve had a few hours use now and are starting to break in nicely. I’m hoping they give a bit more across the width though. I think I could’ve got away with just going a half size down but they looked like clown shoes on me! Trying out different sizes is the only way for you to be certain.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I’m torn as I know the previous 10.5 fitted perfectly but I blamed them on my flat feet issue (now use support insoles and problem has gone) so I got rid, wish I hadn’t now.
    I always liked the style of Moc Toes and wanted another pair, I did order a similar style boot (almost copy cat to redwing) in a Uk11 but they were too big so they are going back.

They can be narrow so I tend to order my usual size. I prefer more width and don’t mind the extra length….so to speak.

Master
    In most shoes I’m a 9.5 F, my Redwing mock toes are a 9 and spacious. I could easily wear thick socks if needed on a cold day but generally just wear normal socks as I like room for my toes to move.

Just after Christmas I ordered a pair of Redwing chucka’s in 9.5 but had to send them back as they were far too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I’m torn as I know the previous 10.5 fitted perfectly but I blamed them on my flat feet issue (now use support insoles and problem has gone) so I got rid, wish I hadn’t now.
    I always liked the style of Moc Toes and wanted another pair, I did order a similar style boot (almost copy cat to redwing) in a Uk11 but they were too big so they are going back.
    The support insoles are maybe swallowing up a half size or more?

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    The support insoles are maybe swallowing up a half size or more?
    I hadn’t fitted them at the time tbh.

I’ve just received my UK11 Chukkas and they are a nice fit, I’m not sure about the Moc Toe, I got a good deal on them so may just wear them and see if they break in because like i said previously my old pair fitted well but they had been broken in.

FWIW for me Chukkas true to size, everything else half a size down.

The cork footbed will change to fit.

Redwing Moc Toe Query

The Chukkas are a good fit and true to size.

I think I’ll preserver with Moc Toes as my previous 10.5 were a good fit so I’m hoping these will go the same way once I’ve worn them, if not then expect to see a pair on SC in the future haha…

Last edited by Martylaa; 22nd February 2023 at 16:09.

I’m sure mine were the same. I think you will be fine once they have been worn a little.

A little trick that I did with most of my Red Wing boots, was put some neutral shoe polish inside the boots. This way they slip on, and off a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    I’m sure mine were the same. I think you will be fine once they have been worn a little.

A little trick that I did with most of my Red Wing boots, was put some neutral shoe polish inside the boots. This way they slip on, and off a lot better.
    That’s a good idea, I’m just walking around the house in them for a few mins at a time, they are definitely easier to get on than the first time yesterday. I think they’ll be ok, might put the shoe horns in them as well.

Ordered some Redwing Leather cream which I’ll stick on them both tomorrow.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My tuppence - this ‘breaking in’ of footwear just means they don’t fit properly so return and find a make/last/size that fits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    My tuppence - this ‘breaking in’ of footwear just means they don’t fit properly so return and find a make/last/size that fits you.
    I get that and normally I wouldn’t hesitate, but when you look into buying these type of boot virtually every online retailer states maybe order a half or full size smaller, hence the breaking in part of these.

Wish they’d just fit like the Chukkas do, I,e true to size…

Made the old fashioned way these Red Wing boots run a whole size large. So we recommended ordering one full size down. If you're a 9 then it's an 8 , you catch the drift - Thanks.

The Red Wing Heritage Work 6" Moc Toe boot in Tan leather from the Red Wing boots core Heritage collection.

The Red Wing Heritage Work Moc Toe Boot is the original 6" moc toe styled work boot that made Red Wing Famous. The 875 is expertly crafted using the finest Oro-iginal leather, Goodyear Welt construction and triple stitched quality. This highly robust boot sits on a high traction Vibram sole, combining comfort and durability to great effect.

That’s just one of the things I’ve seen on a retailer website.
    Last edited by Martylaa; 23rd February 2023 at 11:55.

I get that and normally I wouldn’t hesitate, but when you look into buying these type of boot virtually every online retailer states maybe order a half or full size smaller, hence the breaking in part of these.

Wish they’d just fit like the Chukkas do, I,e true to size…

Made the old fashioned way these Red Wing boots run a whole size large. So we recommended ordering one full size down. If you're a 9 then it's an 8 , you catch the drift - Thanks.

The Red Wing Heritage Work 6" Moc Toe boot in Tan leather from the Red Wing boots core Heritage collection.

The Red Wing Heritage Work Moc Toe Boot is the original 6" moc toe styled work boot that made Red Wing Famous. The 875 is expertly crafted using the finest Oro-iginal leather, Goodyear Welt construction and triple stitched quality. This highly robust boot sits on a high traction Vibram sole, combining comfort and durability to great effect.

That’s just one of the things I’ve seen on a retailer website.
    Are the Redwings a good fit lengthwise? If they are slightly tight widthways, when breaking them in they will give, but I don’t think they will get longer!!

I’m generally a size 10 and I’ve always had size 10 in 875’s, 9 or 9.5’s are just too tight, like you say everyone usually says drop a size, but that obviously depends?

Here’s a couple of pics running through new to old, the second pic hopefully shows how they widen and mould to your feet.

I would say if you’ve got a stockist near to you, go and try a larger size , or order a larger size on-line and send them back if they are too big.

Last edited by melhick; 23rd February 2023 at 12:11.

Thanks mate, so I’ve ordered a pair in UK 11 and will see how they are, if they are a bit loose then I will be wearing with support soles and can just wear thicker socks.

Let’s see.

Thanks mate, so I’ve ordered a pair in UK 11 and will see how they are, if they are a bit loose then I will be wearing with support soles and can just wear thicker socks.

Let’s see.

If you do need a set of insoles mate, I’ve got an unused pair you can have, just let me know.

upload photo and share link

Quote Originally Posted by melhick View Post
    If you do need a set of insoles mate, I’ve got an unused pair you can have, just let me know.

upload photo and share link
    Very kind of you, I have some I bought, they are the ones for Plantar Fasciitis, if the UK11 is bigger then I’m sure these fitted and thicker socks will do the trick.

Anyway I’ll know more on the fit of these when the UK11 turn up.

I normally wear an 11, have some size 11 red wings that I’ve realised finally fit me width wise, but they are so long they look like clown shoes. I also find taking them on and off and lacing them a complete pain - coming to SC soon as a result! They’re not moc toes, can’t remember what they are tbh. Been wearing basic DM Chelsea boots instead, much lighter and none of this breaking in malarkey! - not nearly as well made, but I’m not working in a mine after all!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I normally wear an 11, have some size 11 red wings that I’ve realised finally fit me width wise, but they are so long they look like clown shoes. I also find taking them on and off and lacing them a complete pain - coming to SC soon as a result! They’re not moc toes, can’t remember what they are tbh. Been wearing basic DM Chelsea boots instead, much lighter and none of this breaking in malarkey! - not nearly as well made, but I’m not working in a mine after all!
    Haha tbf there’s not many in the UK working in a mine either…

The UK11’s turn up today so I’ll know for sure one way or the other, just can’t understand why they can’t fit true to size like the Chukkas boots do..l

Craftsman
    I’ve got a pair of Mocc toe and chukkas. Likely I’ll move the chukkas on eventually as they don’t get worn.

Mocc Toes worn with the right legwear are great.

Redwing Moc Toe Query

Sodding hell, UK11 just slipping off my feet at the heel when walking, way, way too big.

Decision made,both sizes going back and I have the Chukkas at least.

What a faff this has been, Redwing why can’t you just make these true to size like the Chukka’s.

Last edited by Martylaa; 24th February 2023 at 13:36.

RedWing boots are made on a variety of lasts depending on the model. That will affect the fit.

Heritage Mocs are No.8 or No.23, for example.

Heritage Chukkas are No.210. Weekender Chukkas are No.60.

There's a non-exhaustive list of last nos. if you scroll down this page -

https://www.redwingshoes.com/about-r...r-and-fit.html
    Last edited by jwg663; 24th February 2023 at 16:36.
    ______

​Jim.