closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Phenomena: repaint a brand-new car

Blog Entries

New Phenomena: repaint a brand-new car

A new phenomena here in the Netherlands. I spotted a brand-new Audi at a local paint shop. I asked the shop owner: "Brand new and damaged already??" How wrong I was!

Due to the long delivery times, customers tend to buy a car in the cheapest colour because - I didn't know that- the delivery time is shorter. Often a plain white car. The car is taken to a paint shop, stripped and repainted in any colour the owner wants. The paint shop guy told me that this Audi was about to receive a 70s Jaguar colour. But he'd done cars after a bathroom tile (new Defender) and the colour of another car on the driveway (Fiat in greenish/blue).

Is that something in the UK as well??

Why not just a wrap?

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

Is that something in the UK as well??
    It's fairly common with Supercars in the UK using a vinyl wrap. The vinyl protects the original paintwork as well being available in many colours and finishes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Do they do the door shuts and engine bays, if not come resale time it may lead to devaluation.

Blog Entries
    For what I’ve seen: yes. Every previously painted part is covered. Unlike wrap I suppose.

Master
    How much extra is that?

Surely a crazily expensive option.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Do they do the door shuts and engine bays, if not come resale time it may lead to devaluation.
    I suspect many of the people doing this won’t be worried about future resale values. It’s all about getting a car tailored to their preference, as swiftly as possible.

That said, the quality of VAG group paintwork from new leaves a lot to be desired, made worse by the dealer pre-delivery ‘wash’, so there are a few benefits to this idea.

Master
    Why not wait????

Master
    For what I’ve seen: yes. Every previously painted part is covered. Unlike wrap I suppose.
    To do that to a high standard must run in to several thousand pounds. You've also got to factor in the removal of transit waxes, rust proofing coatings etc etc.

Sounds like an enormous amount of work, maybe there are very specific garages that have got it down to a very efficient but fine art!

Would it not compromise the manufacturers anti corrosion warranty?

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

I see a lot of pink Teslas here in San Diego. Assume it's not a standard color, but with Elon Musk...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    To do that to a high standard must run in to several thousand pounds. You've also got to factor in the removal of transit waxes, rust proofing coatings etc etc.

Sounds like an enormous amount of work, maybe there are very specific garages that have got it down to a very efficient but fine art!

Would it not compromise the manufacturers anti corrosion warranty?

My thoughts as well! But the cars that were treated like that aren’t the basic versions. Perhaps a dull colour originally, but inside and engine-wise all was ‘fully loaded’. (That Audi).

I have no idea what type it was: A or Q. And since Audi started putting the owners’ IQ on the back (numbers 30 up to 70), I’ve completely lost track.

Master
    My thoughts as well! But the cars that were treated like that aren’t the basic versions. Perhaps a dull colour originally, but inside and engine-wise all was ‘fully loaded’. (That Audi).

I have no idea what type it was: A or Q. And since Audi started putting the owners’ IQ on the back (numbers 30 up to 70), I’ve completely lost track.
    Haha, that made me laugh, especially as I'm an Audi driver...... Just scraping the bottom of the IQ table with a 40tdi ;-)

Journeyman
    In the UK it would be very rare. Value of the car would be destroyed.