Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
We are off to India ourselves in November on a titan travel train journey to Northern India 16 days, so I would love some tips on what clothes to take they say it could be quite mild, also what do you do about a mobile phone SIM card as my Vodafone shop says I would have to buy one when I get there, can I not get one here?what are the toilets like I have a weak bladder, also is it best not to eat salad and meat just have vegetarian food and been told you have to get your currency exchanged when you get there also, how much do you tip, when should we send for our visa is it best to do online I'm crap with computers the trip is my wife's idea not mine she's really looking forward to it, I wish I was back home already but don't tell her
India can be quite cold in the morning and evening and warm clothing is needed. Heating is non existent in taxis.

Near the exit doors of the airport (next to Costa Coffee), there is a Vodafone shop. You can buy a sim there. The sim might be for example 1gb or 2gb but that is per day allowance. The staff often miscalculate change when buying, best to check and the sim has connected.

Don’t buy anything from any street side stall eg food, bottled water or fresh juice. Ever.

The main roads have Dhabas (cafes) and if you stick with the larger busier ones, you should be safe. There are Havelis which are vegetarian and the food quality is really good and much cleaner and modern than the dhabas.

I have noticed Barista coffee chain on my last trip which is ok. I do like the Indian tea from McDonalds.

I visited a Rolex AD in Chandigarh some years ago and the displays were full, with even a Daytona or two for sale. Discounts were available. But then a subsequent visit, there was only a few watches and no discounts.

If you want a relaxing holiday, India is not ideal. My family is from India and I have visited many times. It is enjoyable but not relaxing I would say.