closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home office reno and desk set-up

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I'd be a little bit careful if I were you - if you spend a fair amount of time on video calls and paint the office a lurid shade of bordello red you might need to adust the white balance on your webcam. I was curious about your purchase of a monitor-top lamp - the only time I've bought one of those was to illuminate me rather than the desk in front of me. I soon discovered that it was another rabbit hole and gave up.
    This BenQ Halo is absolutely superb, Alun. I thought long and hard about it, but it's ability to light the desk without shining on the screen, whilst also providing ambient light behind the screen is precisely what I was looking for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    This BenQ Halo is absolutely superb, Alun. I thought long and hard about it, but it's ability to light the desk without shining on the screen, whilst also providing ambient light behind the screen is precisely what I was looking for.
    I want one so badly but to do it I need a £50 adapter plate to move the vesa then the light and then the camera adapter; think it’s a no from me.

Might look at some cheap 6500k rear lighting LED strip. Have the tv backlit at that kelvin and makes the darks darker and the colours pop, no idea why I haven’t for my office. Or perhaps hue again to go with the rest of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I want one so badly but to do it I need a £50 adapter plate to move the vesa then the light and then the camera adapter; think it’s a no from me.

Might look at some cheap 6500k rear lighting LED strip. Have the tv backlit at that kelvin and makes the darks darker and the colours pop, no idea why I haven’t for my office. Or perhaps hue again to go with the rest of the house.
    These are as good as it gets, I'd say. Don't do anything on the cheap, Matt - you don't need to, and remember the "buy cheap, buy twice" adage.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 19th March 2024 at 18:26.

Master
    These are as good as it gets, I'd say. Don't do anything on the cheap, Matt - you don't need to, and remember the "buy cheap, buy twice" adage.
    Have seen them a few times on social media. Some can’t be cut, so will do some research.

Certainly buying 2m of hue for a 50cm strip across the back (the std hue strips don’t bend well perpendicular to the adhesive surface so just feels a waste.

Will give them a research this evening. Thanks.

Craftsman
    I've got the BenQ eReading Desk Lamp which I find a bit more flexible than the screenbar style fixed to the top of the monitor. Highly recommended !

Wife has the BenQ Screenbar Plus on her iMac, similar to Halo but with a wired Controller if you'd rather not have the faff of batteries for the wireless one. Saves £30 as well.

Slight aside, but I can't believe how poor the performance of the iMac is compared to my Thinkpad T480. She won't change it though ... fully signed up to the Apple Kool-Aid LOL. I think it might be another example of Apple crippling their hardware with software updates to force you to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    I've got the BenQ eReading Desk Lamp which I find a bit more flexible than the screenbar style fixed to the top of the monitor. Highly recommended !

Wife has the BenQ Screenbar Plus on her iMac, similar to Halo but with a wired Controller if you'd rather not have the faff of batteries for the wireless one. Saves £30 as well.

Slight aside, but I can't believe how poor the performance of the iMac is compared to my Thinkpad T480. She won't change it though ... fully signed up to the Apple Kool-Aid LOL. I think it might be another example of Apple crippling their hardware with software updates to force you to upgrade.
    I absolutely love the remote control for the Halo, so have no issues at all in respect of the fact that it needs batteries; in fact, I regard it as a classic case of not skimping to save a few quid when the slightly more expensive option provides so many benefits. I doubt the batteries will need changing more than very rarely anyway as for the most part the remote just sits there untouched.

What are your wife's issues with the iMac? I run an M1 Max MBP and it's absolutely faultless as well as being blindingly fast.

Craftsman
    I absolutely love the remote control for the Halo, so have no issues at all in respect of the fact that it needs batteries; in fact, I regard it as a classic case of not skimping to save a few quid when the slightly more expensive option provides so many benefits. I doubt the batteries will need changing more than very rarely anyway as for the most part the remote just sits there untouched.

What are your wife's issues with the iMac? I run an M1 Max MBP and it's absolutely faultless as well as being blindingly fast.
    I think the remote is the same, just wired instead of wireless.

Anything BenQ is probably the best desk lighting option on the market in my book.

Everything is just really slow on her machine ... e.g. a Safari web page takes 30-45 seconds to load, and stuff like that. It's a few years old, but hard drive is only about 50%, and it has same memory as my laptop. I need to take it to a local Apple service guy and get him to have a look at it - it's a terrible advert for Apple products in it's current state LOL :-)

One thing this thread highlights - is the psychological benefit of having a "nice" space to work from home - in.

Starting during covid - there were a lot of people forced to work from 14" laptops on their kitchen worktop - when they had a decent monitor in the office.

If you do have space for a nice set up in your "Study" (now there's a pretentious term) - you are very fortunate.

I have a bedroom that is just a pure office. Not much in the way of 'decoration', but I have a cracking vew of the hills out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    One thing this thread highlights - is the psychological benefit of having a "nice" space to work from home - in.

Starting during covid - there were a lot of people forced to work from 14" laptops on their kitchen worktop - when they had a decent monitor in the office.

If you do have space for a nice set up in your "Study" (now there's a pretentious term) - you are very fortunate.

I have a bedroom that is just a pure office. Not much in the way of 'decoration', but I have a cracking view of the hills out the window.
    Completely agree, and you sound like you're quite well catered for yourself. Any photos of the desk setup and the view from the window?

I think that the medical issues I've faced of late have made me want a kind of new start now I'm home and working properly again. I've thrown a fair bit of money at this project (not totted it all up as yet, but it will be well over a grand), but it's worth it to me in order to get the space absolutely perfectly arranged for my own taste and (of course) use case. I haven't been as excited about a project for a long time, in fact (and there's loads more still to come in terms of physical adjustments as well as kit)!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 19th March 2024 at 19:18.

Aye - I'll not be posting a photo looking out the window.......... someone will track me down and post my address here !

I've just never skimped on IT for work or leisure.

Look forward to seeing your end result.