closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: San Martin vs Rolex

Hybrid View

Assets that can be turned into cash would be a better description.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Assets that can be turned into cash would be a better description.
    Perhaps assets that have the potential to be turned in to cash, if a buyer can be found, might be a better description. Subject to the usual considerations, timing, market conditions, broader economic outlook.

Another thing said in the Fortune article is that folk should see the watch as an achievement in itself, the ''trophy'' , not an investment, to an extent this is a solid point. Almost half of Brits , 46 percent have less than a 1000 gbp in savings and the average person has only 11, 500 gbp in savings...ergo to wear a wrist watch costing 10k up front, and then to be able to shrug off / absorb the cost of ownership, well that's something when taken in context...Peak bourgeoise in a sense, maybe?
    Last edited by Passenger; 20th April 2024 at 09:58.

The more fakes that get produced, the more desirable the real thing becomes, with the effect of increasing residuals

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    The more fakes that get produced, the more desirable the real thing becomes, with the effect of increasing residuals
    I´m not sure that will hold true in all circumstances, though in fairness that´s about only death and taxes which do...and the latter's more malleable depending.
    Last edited by Passenger; 20th April 2024 at 10:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I´m not sure that will hold true in all circumstances.
    I think so, and that video was very superficial, nothing about the materials used, the hardness of the materials used, the accuracy or performance of the watches, he mentioned the bezel gap but obviously it's not an accident or manufacturing defect, it's how Rolex chose to design it, he admits to hating Rolex.

I think so, and that video was very superficial, nothing about the materials used, the hardness of the materials used, the accuracy or performance of the watches, he mentioned the bezel gap but obviously it's not an accident or manufacturing defect, it's how Rolex chose to design it, he admits to hating Rolex.
    Was a while since I watched the video but doesn´t he state he´s NOT gonna get into the accuracy- performance, cos obvs one is a cheap watch the other´s 20 or 30 times more expensive thus you´d assume-expect in that area the SM´s not gonna be in it.
    Yeah you could be right, Rolex are after all masters of marketing and brand, narratives, perception- control, strategy... and the house does always wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Was a while since I watched the video but doesn´t he state he´s NOT gonna get into the accuracy- performance, cos obvs one is a cheap watch the other´s 20 or 30 times more expensive thus you´d assume-expect in that area the SM´s not gonna be in it.
    Yeah you could be right, Rolex are after all masters of marketing and brand, narratives, perception- control, strategy... and the house does always wins.
    I've got a few Rolex's and sold a few, so far I've never lost money, I buy them because I like them, so far they have always been free watches, they have cost me nothing, so great marketing, but compared to PP they are amateurs , so why the hate.

Master
    I used to hold that opinion. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (that mediocrity can pay to greatness, as Wilde had it) then Rolex, like Fender and Gibson, is an abundantly flattered brand. But this last couple of years the quality of manufacturing and finishing of the better homage brands, certainly including San Martin, has become so good that I suspect a watershed moment has been reached and they're actually more of a deterrent to buying a luxury watch.