I watched The Zone of Interest a few days ago. The set design is impressive. The 1940s house was like stepping back in time. And the sound is remarkable, the intermittent gunfire and furnace white (or in this case black) noise. It reminds me of Eraserhead and The Elephant Man by David Lynch, and even The Shining, where the kid rides through the halls on the Big Wheel, Jack throws the ball against the wall, and the ballroom scene with the ghost crowd and band. The party scene in The Zone of Interest with the string quartet is like The Titanic when the musicians play while the ship slowly sinks.

The Zone of Interest blurs the lines between historical drama and horror, melodrama or even fantasy, for example with the parts about Hansel and Gretel, an interesting novel way to try to understand the Holocaust. Or the approach is showing that it is not comprehensible? Either way the feeling I was left with is that the movie feels like the present, and that is what is so disturbing and horrifying.