closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The reverse grail thread.

Master
    Blog Entries

The reverse grail thread.

As there’s a resurrected thread about grails that didn’t live up to expectations, let’s here it for those watches bought to serve a purpose that became firm favourites*

First is my Seamaster. Bought one whilst my work seadweller was at service. Firm favourite now.

Second was when I was first getting into watches. Wanted to start wearing a watch for work so did what ‘normal’ people do and went on eBay and bought a mid priced Seiko. I wore it every day at work for years and it became my favourite watch. Probably still is.

*I know this isn’t strictly a grail but as I hate the term anyway, I don’t care 😂

My 16600 was a grail, then I sold it.

Then my son was born (in 2009) and I bought one for him - his name and birthday in the papers.

Now I can't sell it, of course. So, reverse grail?

(My daughter has a 16570 that's the same!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    As there’s a resurrected thread about grails that didn’t live up to expectations, let’s here it for those watches bought to serve a purpose that became firm favourites*

First is my Seamaster. Bought one whilst my work seadweller was at service. Firm favourite now.

Wajt is the strap you gave that on? I've the same watch and want to change it up a bit from the bracelet

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Wajt is the strap you gave that on? I've the same watch and want to change it up a bit from the bracelet

It’s a Zuludiver - I believe it’s a copy of an Erica?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Rear view.

Interesting subject.

I bought a rare Wempe Fliegeruhr back in 2004. It was a grail watch for me.

It got some negative comments here so I sold it. Years passed by and I then decided to try to find another one. It took me 12+ years to find one and it finally arrived after a very long shipping delay.

The watch has a Navigator dial but no other modern Navigator pilots watch touches it for quality. It's a watch that needs to be handled to be fully appreciated.

It's the movement of the second hand in the vintage style that I particularly like:

https://youtu.be/m4KFRLXke28?feature=shared

Last edited by j111dja; 12th May 2024 at 19:46.

I bought this SSNAV-D to replace an ageing plastic Navigator as my night time and swimming pool watch. But now I struggle for motivation to pick out something more special from my watch box of a morning.

The sandblasted Zuludiver Octopod buckle matches the case finish extremely well and really elevates the whole ensemble.
    Last edited by Caruso; 12th May 2024 at 21:02.

I bought this just to be light and cheap for when I'm riding my bike. Now I can't remember when I last wore anything else

Quartz and reduced by Jomashop to something adjacent to nothing. Dirt cheap strap too.

Oh, and I only bought this brown dial because they had sold out of the black dial with a bracelet version
    Last edited by Der Amf; 12th May 2024 at 22:09.

Would be a stretch to call it a grail, but I wanted an MRG Square since release. Wrote it off due to the RRP, but it came my way a month ago at a more reasonable price (thanks Ryan) and has barely left my wrist since

Last edited by M1011; 12th May 2024 at 23:38.

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post

That is an absolutely Boss watch Dave

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought this one as a bit of a stop gap beater, without much enthusiasm for the style, brand or anything else, but it turned out to be great.

Surprised me how much I liked it, especially for something that has zero WIS interest and coverage whatsoever. We went through many scrapes and adventures together, before inevitably I eventually killed it in Australia.

RIP my unlikely grail Luminox.

The moment I set-eyes on a Damasko DC56 (black dialled chrono) I had to have one. I stalked SC for months, but either none came-up, or when they did, I missed them. Then a full-lume DC57 came up - at a good price from a well-regarded seller - so I bought it, expecting to sell it when a DC56 came along:

Since then I have owned - and subsequently flipped - two DC56s and a DC76, while the DC57 not only stays, but is by some margin my most-worn watch and likely the one I'd keep if all else had to be sold.

Possibly waiting in the wings is another unlikely candidate:

Purely to satisfy idle-curiosity about a watch and case-maker of some standing (if not terribly popular nowadays), and because I liked the case design and tool-watch-iness of it, I wanted to try a cheap Squale diver with the 1521 case - possibly with an eye to buying a more expensive variant at a later date...

Eventually a WTB yielded a battered and bodged example - which hasn't actually left my wrist since it arrived a fortnight ago:

Obviously a fortnight is an eternity in the WISiverse, but the reality for me is I need to keep a watch at least a year - and probably more like five - to know if it's actually a keeper, but there's a LOT I'm enjoying about this no-nonsense strapwhore of a timepiece, and it might just be the best all-round diver's watch I own

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Rear view.
    Thank you

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought my Palm 126200 for a bit of summer fun and fully anticipated getting bored of it quickly or finding it too small, as I have with every other datejust ive ever briefly owned.
    I wear it loads and it's one of my favourites.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I bought my Palm 126200 for a bit of summer fun and fully anticipated getting bored of it quickly or finding it too small, as I have with every other datejust ive ever briefly owned.
    I wear it loads and it's one of my favourites.

If you do ever get bored of that, let me know!