closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home office reno and desk set-up

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Every time I sit at my desk I see something I’d like to improve, for me I do 70% of my time on Teams calls so I not only have to worry about what I see but also behind me, that they see. Speakers is next on my list, but can’t decide on what.
    I've narrowed speakers down to two, one pair of which is a piano red finish!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I hope you’re talking about the audio engine A2, because KEFs won’t work in that space, and the AEs are the biz… had a pair for about 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I hope you’re talking about the audio engine A2, because KEFs won’t work in that space, and the AEs are the biz… had a pair for about 15 years.
    Yes, the A2+ (in red) or the A5s. The KEFs are gorgeous though.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th March 2024 at 22:17.

I used a Keychron K8 for a while. I also grew up using the classic IBM keyboards and wanted to get back to those days. Also I like using a typewriter, so it seemed a good idea...

...but I really hated it.

I reverted back to the Apple Keyboard and Trackpad. Both are unbeatable. I tried the newer trackpad, but simply prefer this older one:

That's from when I was using the revered Mac Mini 2014. The model that offered an innovative two (2) Efficiency Cores and zero (0) Performance Cores.

Now I've "upgraded" to an older 2013 iMac...

The old desk lamp has been replaced by an LED one, with varying degrees of brightness and colour temperature. It's very good, I really like it.

Occasionally I do revert to literally burning the midnight (paraffin) oil though...

A little hard to photograph, but it's a very soft and calm light.

I do have a MBP M1 something or other with lots of specs for work, but most of my stuff works fine on the decade-old iMac (running Sonoma 14.4 at time of posting, via OCLP)

TT

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I used a Keychron K8 for a while. I also grew up using the classic IBM keyboards and wanted to get back to those days. Also I like using a typewriter, so it seemed a good idea...

...but I really hated it.

I reverted back to the Apple Keyboard and Trackpad. Both are unbeatable. I tried the newer trackpad, but simply prefer this older one:

That's from when I was using the revered Mac Mini 2014. The model that offered an innovative two (2) Efficiency Cores and zero (0) Performance Cores.

Now I've "upgraded" to an older 2013 iMac...

The old desk lamp has been replaced by an LED one, with varying degrees of brightness and colour temperature. It's very good, I really like it.

Occasionally I do revert to literally burning the midnight (paraffin) oil though...

A little hard to photograph, but it's a very soft and calm light.

I do have a MBP M1 something or other with lots of specs for work, but most of my stuff works fine on the decade-old iMac (running Sonoma 14.4 at time of posting, via OCLP)

TT
    I hope I don't have the same experience with the keyboard that's en-route, Paul.

Anyway, next addition is the BenQ Halo LED monitor light bar. I picked this one for a multitude of reasons; it's great quality coming from Benq, this particular model creates a backlight as well, it has an accessory that enables a webcam to sit on top of it and the controls are superb. At night, I have to say that its spectacular compared to not having one, and allows full visibility of the desk as well as throwing a lovely ambient glow onto the wall.

At night, I have to say that its spectacular compared to not having one, and allows full visibility of the desk as well as throwing a lovely ambient glow onto the wall
    I was originally intending to reply mainly that lighting makes a big difference for anywhere you may sit and work, but got a bit carried away

The Keychron is a fine device but I think my preferences just developed beyond my memories of mechanical keyboards. A lot of Youtubers are deep into keyboards, possibly for the looks I suspect, and I kind of got drawn into it too. I was fully invested in "thock", "lube" (oh yes...), hot-swapping and the joy of coiled cables and all that: it's yet another blokey rabbit hole to fall into if you are not careful.

But at the end of it, I just had to admit to myself, I preferred typing on the Apple one. YMMV.

The stripy desk mat from Ikea circa 1992 is essential, by the way. Transformed my desk environment and improved my life, IQ and dancing skills. Highly Recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I was originally intending to reply mainly that lighting makes a big difference for anywhere you may sit and work, but got a bit carried away

The Keychron is a fine device but I think my preferences just developed beyond my memories of mechanical keyboards. A lot of Youtubers are deep into keyboards, possibly for the looks I suspect, and I kind of got drawn into it too. I was fully invested in "thock", "lube" (oh yes...), hot-swapping and the joy of coiled cables and all that: it's yet another blokey rabbit hole to fall into if you are not careful.

But at the end of it, I just had to admit to myself, I preferred typing on the Apple one. YMMV.

The stripy desk mat from Ikea circa 1992 is essential, by the way. Transformed my desk environment and improved my life, IQ and dancing skills. Highly Recommended.
    I could easily get sucked in, Paul. In fact, I almost bought two variants of the keyboard that's on the way!

I actually have what I hope is a lovely desk mat on the way.

Yes, the A2+ (in red) or the A5s. The KEFs are gorgeous though.
    A5s will be too big and boomy for your space. A2+ ftw, and get the little rubber wedges for under them. Absolutely perfection for a study.

They are already in my shopping list!

Another element arrived this evening - the Logitech MX Mechanical wireless keyboard for IOS. Love how it becomes backlit as soon as your hand approaches, but there are lots of other tricks I need to learn, as well as customising some keys to suit my workflow.

Everything I hoped it would be, and I really can't see the Apple keyboard getting a look in now.

Last edited by learningtofly; 18th March 2024 at 22:53.

Master

Home office reno and desk set-up

Another element arrived this evening - the Logitech MX Mechanical wireless keyboard for IOS. Love how it becomes backlit as soo9n as your hand approaches, but there are lots of other tricks I need to learn, as well as customising some keys to suit my workflow.

Everything I hoped it would be, and I really can't see the Apple keyboard getting a look in now.

I’d love a mechanical keyboard, but used to sit next to someone in an open plan office with one years back & just the sound reminds me of him! Was even worse as he was a 2 finger typist so you could hear how slow he was going. Loved the old school keyboards, but intrigued the higher action is more productive; engaging and enjoyable most certainly.

So from left to right you have vape, ASMR mic, Sky q, light controller, multi dock and then a stand for the Mac. What is the stand, as looks like it could be a nice space saver for me?

I find when my Mac is closed the True Tone & night shift doesn’t work properly, is that offset for you as you have a Mac display that has the sensors? I have mine open slightly, with a thin folded microfibre cloth to stop the cat treading on it & closing it.

Sonos now going on a stand behind the eames, hopefully hidden just to add some background noise as too loud even in level 1 next to me.

Toying with the large space being filled with large Silverstone circuit from here: https://www.trackscapes.com/collections/all

Likely to add a smaller thruxton / brands (where I’ve driven) or frankly a ring one as it’s just more interesting as a design even though #neverbeen.

Seems the Benq needs 6cm behind the monitor, so will have to measure that, my monitor mounts at the top for VESA so makes it wobbly af, it’s all pushed back on the arm for stability with cloths at every joint to remove any wobbles, so hoping after all the reading up it could actually work…if not it is new monitor time.

If we go halves, you only owe me £100 so far but this is pre monitor upgrades Tony!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Save me the work, what are the two in mind :)

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Save me the work, what are the two in mind :)
    Both Audioengine - the A2+ and the A5+. Likely the former, though.