closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 79 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    I would recommend The Hangover series for a good laugh!

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Although I'm not a huge Star Trek fan I really enjoyed the film. Also last night I watched "Nothing but the Truth". Must have been good because I didn't fall asleep like I usually do while watching a movie in bed.

"Washington DC political journalist Rachel Armstrong (Kate Beckinsale) writes an explosive story about a government scandal in which she reveals the name of a covert CIA agent (Vera Farmiga). When a special government prosecutor (Matt Dillon) demands she divulge her source, she refuses and finds herself behind bars, struggling to defend the principles she has based her career upon."

Blog Entries
    Watched Limitless last night & quite enjoyed it.

z

Thomas Reid
    They've been out for a very long time, and I've had them for some time, but didn't get around to watching them until yesterday. Great shoot-em up fun, with some mean guitar playing.

El Mariachi
    Desperado

Now I have to get the third in the trilogy: Once upon a time in Mexico.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman
    Finally got around to watching Old Boy before the american remake hits - very cool but very VERY violent film - not one to watch with the girlfriend!

I enjoyed Man Of Steel. Thought it was a good take on re booting the franchise. But the Superman films with Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder had a certain....chemistry between the leads that I really loved.

not bad though

Saw Brokeback Mountain on TV last night since seeing it in the cinema (6 years ago I think).

Wonderful film, good acting by the late Heath Ledger especially, beautiful backdrop and touching.

4 stars.

I've just watched Cloud Atlas twice in two days, which at 3 hours a pop is no mean feat. Thoroughly enjoyed it too, especially the second time when I had more of an idea what was going on.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I've just watched Cloud Atlas twice in two days, which at 3 hours a pop is no mean feat. Thoroughly enjoyed it too, especially the second time when I had more of an idea what was going on.

I watched that on Apple TV last night. I really liked it :-)

Craftsman
    Getting romantic last night with Officer and a Gentleman recorded a few weeks back. Classic 80s film, they don't make them like that anymore!!

Banned
    Last night we watch a movie called "Mud" it stars Matthew McConaughey & Reese Witherspoon, the film was a little slow but we enjoyed it none the less.

I saw Mud last night also and enjoyed it a lot. A good coming of age film and its been a long time since Matthew McConaughey has done something worth watching.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    I saw Mud last night also and enjoyed it a lot. A good coming of age film and its been a long time since Matthew McConaughey has done something worth watching.

Life sure looks mighty tough on that river, nice beaver though.

Got round to watching Life of Pi yesterday - great feelgood movie that looked lovely.

Banned
    We watched The Conjuring last night, it was ok I guess, but all these possession movie still fall way short when stood next to the Exorcist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    Try Killer Joe, he is actually very good in that

Not a good movie, but I feel it's my civic duty to advise anyone who's thinking of watching The Host, then don't - it's a complete pile of sh*te. I should have known better, given that it's based on a Stephanie Meyer book, but the trailer made it look quite good. Terrible.

Journeyman
    Donny Brasco

8/10 Al Pacino is amazing!

Blog Entries
    Just watched Deadfall - pretty good, not the usual Hollywood fodder & a decent cast.

z

The Room.
    If you appreciate the beauty of a poorly made film, then this is a worthwhile view. The writer/directory/producer apparently raised $6 million to make this picture. Unfortunately, no effort has been made to focus (ha ha!) on acting, continuity or dubbing. Easily the best worst movie of the 2000's.

http://youtu.be/Z9-BM2ok2vE

"Lisa, you're tearing me apart!"

Untouchable was/is one of my favourite films right now. Also watched oblivion and not a Tom cruise fan, but really enjoyed it. Late 90s classic - the boondocks saints is worth a watch as well.

Just watched Wolverine - not bad, a bit more back story.
    If you watch it - stay until after the credits!!

Master
    Rewatched Silence of the Lambs last night after Sky+'ing from ITV4 a few nights back. Forgot just how damn good that film was!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Rewatched Silence of the Lambs last night after Sky+'ing from ITV4 a few nights back. Forgot just how damn good that film was!
    Reminded me, Manhunter is my favourite ever film.

I re-watched that the other night also. Great to see it again, especially after watching the TV series. It really is such a well done movie. I should probably re-watch Manhunter as well, it's been years.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Last edited by dowsing; 27th July 2013 at 11:25.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I went to see the premier of the conjuring at the ed film festival a few weeks back.
    Thoroughly recommend it as an old school horror.

Just got back from The Wolverine. As usual, my 13 year old son loved it, but I'll give it a 'reasonable' rather than a 'good'. Thrashing a story/character getting a bit old and stale by now I think.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Just watched Wolverine - not bad, a bit more back story.
    If you watch it - stay until after the credits!!
    I didn't stay, what happened?
    PM me if there are any spoilers please.

Olympus has fallen - great unintentional comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by PCthug View Post
    I didn't stay, what happened?
    PM me if there are any spoilers please.
    No spoilers really.
    Just 2 years later at the airport - Magneto & Xavier show up, stop time and have a chat with Wolverine.
    Links nicely into the next epicode X-Men: Days of future past.

Took the mini-AM94s to see Despicable Me 2 on the weekend; would have been far more enjoyable had they not shown 90% of the gags in the trailer.

It seems the studios are the best at doing 'spoilers' by giving us the Readers Digest version of every film in the trailer.

Blog Entries
    Just watched Dear Wendy.
    Quirky, odd, unusual - but worth a watching.

z

It does live up to its hype. I enjoyed it.

I watched Oblivion last night... so no, not seen any good movies recently ;)

Master
    Mud seemed like a really interesting movie. I'd recommend it.
    Oh, and I also saw Pacific Rim are the cinema. It's certainly impressive (at least seen 3D are the cinema).

Oblivion was nice...

Quote Originally Posted by mihaixp View Post
    Mud seemed like a really interesting movie. I'd recommend it.
    Oh, and I also saw Pacific Rim are the cinema. It's certainly impressive (at least seen 3D are the cinema).
    I also saw Pacific Rim last night, my first 3D but can't say I hated the technology. Got used to it pretty fast and after that I didn't really consciously think about it at all.

Movie itself was pleasant suprise. I was expecting something shitty like Transformers or Godzilla but instead this movie had real heart and real attention to detail. What impressed me the most was how they managed to convey the feel of sheer weight and mass of the robots and the monsters to the audience. The film in every way including characters was really over the top but I don't think it would have worked otherwise. It needed to be silly.

7/10 all together. 9/10 in the genre.

Watched Olympus has Fallen last night, cracking film, a lot like a 2013 version of the first Die Hard!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foucault717 View Post
    I also saw Pacific Rim last night, my first 3D but can't say I hated the technology. Got used to it pretty fast and after that I didn't really consciously think about it at all.

Movie itself was pleasant suprise. I was expecting something shitty like Transformers or Godzilla but instead this movie had real heart and real attention to detail. What impressed me the most was how they managed to convey the feel of sheer weight and mass of the robots and the monsters to the audience. The film in every way including characters was really over the top but I don't think it would have worked otherwise. It needed to be silly.

7/10 all together. 9/10 in the genre.
    WHAT!!

They must of weighed MANY tons, yet were carried by a few helicoptors.

Actually I know what you mean, it was what to be expected of a movie involving huge robots and monsters. A good popcorn flick.

The World's End

I saw The World's End last night. It had some really funny moments, with plenty of nods to Shaun of the Dead. For those who enjoyed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz it'll be right up your street. I'd say it sits somewhere between the 2.

Nick Frost stands out the most.

I watched The Raid last night on Netflix. Not the best or most original story line, but the marshal arts/action was brilliant.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I saw The World's End last night. It had some really funny moments, with plenty of nods to Shaun of the Dead. For those who enjoyed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz it'll be right up your street. I'd say it sits somewhere between the 2.

Nick Frost stands out the most.
    Hey, I watched that a couple of weeks ago and personally felt it was poor compared to the first two movies ("the Cornetto Trilogy")

Not to say it isn't funny or watchable, its just not up to the other movies level. I found Simon pegg's character particularly obnoxious and un-loveable. The final 10 minutes are just bizarre, undoing the build up of the first hour and a half but overall, 7/10

Blog Entries
    Just done the 4 movies on an 8h flight routine. Whilst I still remember ...

Trance 8/10 (excellent sound track too)
    Oblivion 7/10 (interesting twist on invasion movie)
    GI Joe II 4/10 (why did I bother?)
    Hansel & Gretel 6.5/10 (gory fairy tale stuff - has its moments)

z

A little after release I know. But watched World War Z last night. It's ok, I enjoyed the book a lot more.

I have enjoyed all movies by the Coen brothers (re: Serious man). Also Mika and Aki Kaurismäki have done brilliant movies.

I tend to watch movies from varying cultural spheres. I have trouble "getting" Israeli cinematography, and seriously do not get anything Bollywood!

I would tempt English speaking people venture way beyond US productions, and obviously British people beyond anything UK (brilliant stuff, but do open your mind). Soviet / Russian, Italian, Norwegian, Danish, older German cinema - all worth exploring.

As always, see the original if there was a remake, especially a Hollywood remake. Lots and lots of gems have been turned into mediocre puddings by the Americanization engine. Try any original Spanish movie with an edge and a later watered down remake for proof.

"Cinema Paradiso" on last night. Great film!

I can declare the Alan Partridge movie the best sitcom spinoff since Porridge. Hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I can declare the Alan Partridge movie the best sitcom spinoff since Porridge. Hilarious!
    It makes me happy that is was good. I need to see it ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    It makes me happy that is was good. I need to see it ASAP.
    Agree on both counts.

But I'm tempted to save some time and money (cinema trips are about thirty quid for two these days at least!) and wait. It'll probably be on Film4 within 6 months.

Master
    Lincoln was OK.