closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News just in

News just in

Received a letter from the US Trademark Office.

........... we conclude that opposer has failed to meet its burden to establish that it is entitled to judgement as a matter of law......... In view thereof, opposer's motion for summary judgement is denied.
    And so it continues.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Thomas Reid

Re: News just in

Good news! But probably not unexpected.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Nice one Eddie :D
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Good news Eddie i love it when the little guy comes out on top. I got more enjoyment out of Beating Direct Line than i did from the money. They just thought i would roll over it took five years but it was worth it if i could sue then for all the distress they caused her indoors and myself i would, but of course they make sure there are no further claims when you sign the deal.
    :) :wink: Paul.

Craftsman
    Yeaa... :hello1:

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Good news! But probably not unexpected.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I was convinced I was right Bob but you can never be sure that a novice's facts and commonsense will defeat a professional's smoke & mirrors.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Well done Eddie, a lot of people would have given it up

cheers
    Alan

Master
    Congratulations :D But what will it take for Swatch-werke Omega to just give up? Presumably, they may still try to exhaust you. Not that I think they could ever prevail :wink:

Cheers,
    Gert

Master
    Hi Eddie,

OK then, I'm now suitably confused.

I am familiar with the background to the case but I am wondering what it is you were opposing, motioning for and what has actually been decided?

Regards

JasonG

As far as I understand it, Omega's lawyers were proposing that they had such overwhelming evidence that Broadarrow was their trademark that the court should throw out the case without a hearing. From what Eddie has posted, the court has rejected this proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee
    As far as I understand it, Omega's lawyers were proposing that they had such overwhelming evidence that Broadarrow was their trademark that the court should throw out the case without a hearing. From what Eddie has posted, the court has rejected this proposal.
    Correct, although it's the US Patent & Trademark Office, not a court.

Eddie

Master
    Oh, I see. that's pretty good in a way. Now all you have to do is to present an overwhelmingly good case. :-)

ttfn

JasonG

Congratulations!!

I hope that they don't keep trying it on.

So Broadarrow stays British!

Cheers,

Master
    Outstanding, Eddie. Congrats! Please keep us posted as this case develops further.

So does that mean you will be coming to my side of the pond?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    So does that mean you will be coming to my side of the pond?
    Well that's still unknown Ron, it depends whether Omega would like to settle and save some high priced attorney's fees. They could have settled almost 2 years ago and I'm sure they have spent much more than I would have settled for since then.

All I know is that these fancy attorneys must now be trying to find the answers to some very awkward questions.

Eddie

Craftsman
    Congrats Eddie! Sometimes even the government does the right thing. Here's a link with some of your application on it.

***Link deleted because it's timed out***

Ted

Master
    Congratulations Eddie. 8)

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Eddie
    I don't think that it has that much to do with the amount or quality of evidence. A request for summary judgement usually involves a claim that the issues can be decided by consideration of the law, rather than evidence, or whose case is strongest. (In jury trials, the judge rules on the law, and the jury decides the strength of the evidence.) So, roughly, and lawyers here should correct me if I'm mistaken, the ruling means that Omega has to provide evidence saying why Eddies registration shouldn't happen, rather than it being decided as a question of law. This is a much iffier proposition for Omega. They didn't have anything to lose (except money) by waiting out the decision on summary judgement. If they won summary, it would have been all over. They lost, but the main question hasn't been settled. However, if they go on, and lose, they will have really lost.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Thomas Reid
    PS. (No editing of posts in this thread?). Omega might be in a tight position. If they claim that Eddie shouldn't be able to register the term because they, Omega, have had sole use of it, there is all that history with which they have to contend. If they say Eddie shouldn't be able to register it because it is in general use, then they can't register it. No good strategies for them. I forsee a settlement being offered now that a chance for summary is over and it is show time. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Thomas Reid
    PPS. ;) At first blush, if I were acting for Omega, and wanted to push things along, I think that the strategy I would adopt is to argue that if anyone should be able to register the word, then it should be Omega. And I would hope that the ruling is narrow enough (just denying Eddie's attempt at registration) not to preclude the possibility of Omega registering it in the future. But, that is a high risk strategy. More likely, I would think that it would be better to settle and not have the issue decided at all.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bandylegss
    Good news Eddie i love it when the little guy comes out on top. I got more enjoyment out of Beating Direct Line than i did from the money. They just thought i would roll over it took five years but it was worth it if i could sue then for all the distress they caused her indoors and myself i would, but of course they make sure there are no further claims when you sign the deal.
    :) :wink: Paul.
    What's the story on this, Paul?

Master

Eddie
    I don't think that it has that much to do with the amount or quality of evidence. A request for summary judgement usually involves a claim that the issues can be decided by consideration of the law, rather than evidence, or whose case is strongest. (In jury trials, the judge rules on the law, and the jury decides the strength of the evidence.) So, roughly, and lawyers here should correct me if I'm mistaken, the ruling means that Omega has to provide evidence saying why Eddies registration shouldn't happen, rather than it being decided as a question of law. This is a much iffier proposition for Omega. They didn't have anything to lose (except money) by waiting out the decision on summary judgement. If they won summary, it would have been all over. They lost, but the main question hasn't been settled. However, if they go on, and lose, they will have really lost.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Bob, you are correct. Omega now must put forth a preponderance of evidence supporting its position. I also agree that they are now in a precarious position in that they could argue themselves out of the ability to register the mark based upon common usage. In addition, I believe the examiner(s) rightly saw through their attempts to push about the "little guy".

Master

Nice one Eddie

good to see things haven't gone the way those softcocks wanted - i think they were forgetting they were up against a double-hard bastard, and they are a bunch of girlie shirt-lifting toss-pieces.

Rob.

Thomas Reid

Re: Nice one Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Rob (NZ)
    good to see things haven't gone the way those softcocks wanted - i think they were forgetting they were up against a double-hard bastard, and they are a bunch of girlie shirt-lifting toss-pieces.

Rob.
    I think I understand most of that. But the "shirt-lifting" is puzzling. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Bob

if a bender comes up behind you, he has to lift your shirt out of the way...

Rob.

Thomas Reid

Re: Bob

Rob.
    Ah, I see. I was thinking of aother sort of shirt lifting, the sort that footballers do after scoring: taking the front of their jersey and putting it over their heads. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    I'm really pleased for you. Not the war, but at least a battle won :D

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doug darter
    I second that. :D

As for what Omega will do next, my hunch (I am a sceptic) is that they will play the man, not the ball.

I'll persist in my personal boycott of Omega ... until I can Frankenwatch a Speedy Pro. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doug darter
    Yes me too Eddie................. 8)

Master
    Congratulations Eddie :D

They don't like it up em :lichmalignus:

Master
    Yahoo...!!!

Master

Re: Bob

Rob.
    Ah, I see. I was thinking of aother sort of shirt lifting, the sort that footballers do after scoring: taking the front of their jersey and putting it over their heads. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    When I was a kid, shirt-lifters came in a can and were eaten on toast.

Omega's attorneys have appealed the decision of the US Patent & Trademark Office. They stated that the Patent & Trademark Office were in error when they made their decision and requested that they reverse it.

I'm not convinced that telling the Patent & Trademark Office that they don't know what they're doing is the best way to make friends. Hey, what do I know? They're a multi-million dollar practice and I'm just a poor backwoods boy.

Eddie

Grand Master
    Omega's attorneys have appealed the decision of the US Patent & Trademark Office. They stated that the Patent & Trademark Office were in error when they made their decision and requested that they reverse it.

I'm not convinced that telling the Patent & Trademark Office that they don't know what they're doing is the best way to make friends. Hey, what do I know? They're a multi-million dollar practice and I'm just a poor backwoods boy.

Eddie
    Presumably being such a big business, and having Omega as a client, they have much to lose: if they do not appeal, they effectively tell their client they were wrong in the first place ... so they muct put on a rave face and pull it through. The fact that they cannot quit without casuing Omega to question whether the lawyers' fees were wisely spent will work against you, in the end - I know, life is unfair.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I've discussed this with a legal expert who is of the opinion that this is a desperate act by Collen IP to save face with their client. He is further of the opinion that Omega could have spent as much as US$150,000 so far, with the prospect of more to come.

Their victory is by no means guaranteed and in fact, following the dismissal of their summary judgment application, they are definitely playing on a sticky wicket. The idiocy is, I would have withdrawn my trademark application for less than they have already spent but I think that their legal "experts" have now reached the point of no retreat, no surrender; their reputation is on the line.

I think it might be a good idea to contact Omega direct to see whether they have any idea they could have reached a settlement months ago and saved a lot of time and money.

Eddie

I think it might be a good idea to contact Omega direct to see whether they have any idea they could have reached a settlement months ago and saved a lot of time and money.

Eddie
    Sounds like a good idea ... just tell them, you are cheaper than their current legal representation and you can still save them money with a nice 6 figure ...

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Journeyman

Keep going strong!

Master

Ok thread necromancy award of the month goes to montrepassion! Congratulations! :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by vaizki
    Ok thread necromancy award of the month goes to montrepassion! Congratulations! :shock:
    :D :D

:D
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman

Been a long time coming

Congratulations Eddie

Ivan
    iwcforme

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Melbourne
    Been a long time coming

Congratulations Eddie

Well done Eddie :mrgreen:

Master

It's good to see a small business stand against the corporate bully and prevail. Good for you Eddie!

Eddie lost, sadly.

:laughing3:

Master

not again :evil:

maybe these threads should be locked?

Master

Maybe if nobody posts in them.. aarghghhghhhh

I am also very happy to see that Eddie won because he is right.

One day, people will realize that money is not everything, and they will learn to share. Or, am I dreaming? :drunken: :albino:

Congrats, Eddie.

Capt. Serdal