closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Explorer 214270 - Review and impressions...

Hybrid View

Journeyman
    A question for the OP please. This watch has been on my wishlist for a while and as Christmas is around the corner a shopping spree may be required, so based on your ownership over the last few months have there been any negative issues?

thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anoetic View Post
    A question for the OP please. This watch has been on my wishlist for a while and as Christmas is around the corner a shopping spree may be required, so based on your ownership over the last few months have there been any negative issues?

thanks
    Two issues of note in the two years I've owned the 214270, one minor and one more serious...

Minor issue - a couple of months ago the Explorer started keeping time a little erratically. I took it into Mallorys in Bath, (Rolex AD) watch was still under Warranty, they sent it off for repair and came back good as new in a couple of weeks.

More serious issue - since I've owned the Explorer no other watch can keep it off my wrist, I've sold practically every other watch I've owned and it has killed my broader interest in watches stone dead!

I've had a lot of watches covering the entire spectrum of cost / style / manufacturer and nothing else had this effect - be warned.

:)

Rob

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AIDM View Post
    Two issues of note in the two years I've owned the 214270, one minor and one more serious...

Minor issue - a couple of months ago the Explorer started keeping time a little erratically. I took it into Mallorys in Bath, (Rolex AD) watch was still under Warranty, they sent it off for repair and came back good as new in a couple of weeks.

More serious issue - since I've owned the Explorer no other watch can keep it off my wrist, I've sold practically every other watch I've owned and it has killed my broader interest in watches stone dead!

I've had a lot of watches covering the entire spectrum of cost / style / manufacturer and nothing else had this effect - be warned.

:)

Rob
    Can I ask what it weighs? Weight is turning into a big thing with me a watches - particularly those best worn on a steel bracelet. I'm interested in this one or the blue Oyster Perpetual - each still looks like a Rolex should.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
    Can I ask what it weighs? Weight is turning into a big thing with me a watches - particularly those best worn on a steel bracelet
    I think the way the watch sits affects the wear; I don't particularly like heavy watches but find some heavy watches comfortable to wear because they sit nicely but I take your point, over the course of the day a heavy watch can become tiring. For me the Explorer is quite heavy but well balanced, however the Explorer 2 is one of my daily wearers.

Since 2012 I've tended to record the details of watches through my door (basically because I don't want to pay silly money for insurance valuations), the documentation includes a detailed description of the watches, serial numbers and the weight! Currently own three Rolex sports models

- Explorer 2 16570, Oyster lock bracelet, two links removed, 122g
    - Explorer 1 214270, Oyster lock with Easylink 5mm extension link, two links removed, 136g
    - Sea Dweller, 16600, Oyster flip lock bracelet, two links removed, 146g

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    I think the way the watch sits affects the wear; I don't particularly like heavy watches but find some heavy watches comfortable to wear because they sit nicely but I take your point, over the course of the day a heavy watch can become tiring. For me the Explorer is quite heavy but well balanced, however the Explorer 2 is one of my daily wearers.

Since 2012 I've tended to record the details of watches through my door (basically because I don't want to pay silly money for insurance valuations), the documentation includes a detailed description of the watches, serial numbers and the weight! Currently own three Rolex sports models

- Explorer 2 16570, Oyster lock bracelet, two links removed, 122g
    - Explorer 1 214270, Oyster lock with Easylink 5mm extension link, two links removed, 136g
    - Sea Dweller, 16600, Oyster flip lock bracelet, two links removed, 146g
    That is fantastic info - thanks. 136g is quite reasonable if the bracelet fit is even half decent.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AIDM View Post

since I've owned the Explorer no other watch can keep it off my wrist, I've sold practically every other watch I've owned and it has killed my broader interest in watches stone dead!
    Possibly the best recommendation for a watch I've read!