closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bored Bored Bored

Hybrid View

Bored Bored Bored (yes yes, but...)

Right, as it seems to be some kind of ritual after being on this forum for a while, I too would like to inform you, in anticipation of your obvious eager interest, that I'm bored of watches. Not the forum. Watches.

You can almost fill in the rest from any of the previous posts on this. Buy watch, wear it, take pic, buy another, put one in the box, read about a different one, buy another, sell one, take more pics, buy strap, write watch-related nonsense, buy strap, sell watch, buy another, keep empty boxes and bubble wrap around "just in case", read watch-related nonsense. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Bored bored bored. "Basel" ? About as interested as I am in the latest photocopier models. It's not a hobby, it's a waste of time.

Paul
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 17th April 2017 at 10:43. Reason: became a guitar hero

Master
    someone needs a hug...

Craftsman
    Maybe you need more than one hobby/interest?

Banned
    Any watches going cheap?

I have been the same for about six months now. Stalking Sales Corner for the latest secondhand camouflage rucksack took its toll.

I've two daily wearers, one auto, one quartz. The rest are stashed for a rainy day.

Grand Master
    I hate to admit it but Im at tilt too! That said Ive always enjoyed them but having had everyone Ive ever wanted Ive scratched the itch and find they were all great but simple satisfaction comes from a good diet, exercise, a quality job, and a one half decent robust diver.

My 10,000th post will be my last you will be relieved to know
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    ...but simple satisfaction comes from a good diet, exercise, a quality job, and a one half decent robust diver.
    And good company - be that a partner or family or mates.

I've always been fascinated by watches. And I've upped my watch budget as household income increased. But to be fair, in the cold light of day, you realise it's the simple things in life that bring the most happiness or contentment.

I'll keep buying the odd watch here and there, I am sure. And keep reading about them etc. But ultimately I realise that for me (no offense intended to bigger 'collectors') more than around 4-6 watches (that I am happy with) is a bit silly.

That will be a shame and a sad loss to the 'community'.

Master
    I guess I could say I've 'been through that cycle' with a few things, but generally just because I'd completed that particular shopping trip to my satisfaction. I was quite focused on hifi until I had the right system that's at least as good as my ears are, and haven't thought about it since. Computers were important for a while, but the evolution of the hardware and software I use has slowed down a great deal lately, after fifteen years of very rapid change. Likewise photography, now I have the lenses I want, I only need a new body as and when they bring out a better one, no point in thinking about it 24/7. Job done, basically.

Watches is one of the deeper rabbit holes to fall down, but even there you eventually realise what sizes and styles you like and have them in your box. For me, I still wouldn't mind a Royal Oak and a platinum Vacheron Constantin dress watch, but for obvious reasons this is a rather long term goal rather than a daily obsession, and that's fine. I might treat myself to a Nomos one day just for fun but I'm in no hurry. In the meantime, I still really enjoy a good picture of a beautiful watch or a look in the window, but am now much less likely to see something I haven't seen before. Bored of watches? No, I still really like them, will keep an eye out for new models, and appreciate the ones I have. I don't expect anything else from them really. To see something new that makes you think 'oh that's lovely' is a nice surprise rather than an expectation.

Master
    My most expensive purchase off this forum was a Mazda MX5 and the pleasure that gives us is immense I will be going out later today with my wife and little dog over the moors to the beach with the roof down all the way, then we will drive to a pub on the moors and have a sandwich and a beer :) that to me is better than having the same money sat in one watch, but we all view things differently.

I am also a huge fan of vintage watches and I also think that there is superb value to be had in the lower price bracket like the Seiko divers and for me some of the best ever value for money watches are Eddies as all the Precista I have owned have been stunning value for money.

Master
    Enjoying this thread and views more than I have most for a while now! I'm bored, but then I look at some huge, rose gold, cermic festooned, chrono module added, AP in 44mm and I'm back again wondering how to finance such a complete folly!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    someone needs a hug...
    Haha...
    Yeah, what' the matter Mr. Grumpy Gills....;)

Master
    I echo a lot of those sentiments. After being an avid reader, buyer and flipper for several years now I feel like I've exhausted all the watches I like and can afford. I've reduced my collection from 14-1 over time and can't really say I miss any of them. Now in a position to replace or add to my current Rolex Sub 5513 I just can't stir up the interest to do so. Starting to think its time to spend time and money on something else to be honest.

It might just be a phase, but the thought of spending thousands on another watch feels an expensive luxury (whereas before, i rarely thought twice) and makes me think my priorities have changed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    I echo a lot of those sentiments. After being an avid reader, buyer and flipper for several years now I feel like I've exhausted all the watches I like and can afford. I've reduced my collection from 14-1 over time and can't really say I miss any of them. Now in a position to replace or add to my current Rolex Sub 5513 I just can't stir up the interest to do so. Starting to think its time to spend time and money on something else to be honest.

It might just be a phase, but the thought of spending thousands on another watch feels an expensive luxury (whereas before, i rarely thought twice) and makes me think my priorities have changed.

This about sums it up for me at the moment, bought an Aerospace back in Jan and apart from a Casio thats it for me now, could add if i wanted but dont feel the need or inclined to do so.

Priorities have absolutely changed. And i think a lot of that has to do with the prices watches have been hyper inflated to (IMHO) over the last 2/3 years :-/

Banned
    i just landed in the "bored" zone.. hope it will go away soon

Have to agree with others, prices are going too high. I am thinking about saving for my 30th now, three years away

I still love watches, still research them but i only have one definite purchase on the cards this year and the deal has been agreed well in advance.

What Me To?

With me it's a bit different. I still get quite enthusiastic with the new watches that come along that appeal to me. My problem is that my enthusiasm wanes very quickly after I get each watch. I find that I wear them for a short time and then into the watch box they go. When it's time to put a watch on in the morning before going to work, I look at all the expensive pieces I have in the watch box and then, 90% of the time, strap on my Casio. The reasons I give myself for doing this are as follows - I don't have to worry about winding the Casio or setting the time on it. I don't ahve to worry about keeping it clean or worry about dinging it up. The rest of the world doesn't notice or care about the watch I wear, so why should I?

But, the foregoing notwithstanding, I now find that I'm all in a dither to make sure I get that new DN watch and that new bronze-cased Cali style watch that Eddie's about to make available on the website. I've apparently still got the fever.

But on the positive side, it appears that after an 8 year infatuation with Panerai, I'm having no difficulty in walking away from that particular brand.

I'm also with the OP on this one. Strange really as I'm typing this on a watch forum!

If I had the balls, I'd put most of mine on SC toot suite, but what with the never ending economic shithole we're in, and the prospect of you lot pulling them to pieces with the view to skinning me (wink) they stay tucked away, awaiting the inevitable ping of the mainspring.........

Like Neil, the prospect of a summer (yeah, I know) of boot sale finds, keeps what's left of the jaded juices flowing.

Welcome to the horological menopause.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey

Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000

That will be a shame and a sad loss to the 'community'.
    Thirded.... if such a thing exists

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post

Forthed I have met Kerry and TZ will miss his WIS............................Hes a good good guy

regards
    T

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    Fourth-ed then. A good forum member IMO and it would be a shame to lose him. :-(

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Morning ( here ) and I'm reading this over breakfast. Well, it was just another "I'm bored" post. I'm not suggesting that watch collecting is necessarily boring, that it is a hobby ( choice of word may have been wrong, "pastime" or "activity" if you prefer ) of no interest, nor that anyone who does find it interesting is a shallow materialistic tokei otaku ( watch geek ). It was just a comment on my feeling right now. Which remains bored.

Secondly, vintage popped up and I understand the argument. I had a nice vintage Omega De Ville., a decent 16753, a rarish 1530, a nice OQ, some old GS and KS chronometer, vintage Swatch and Seamasters ... all fun at the time and I enjoyed the hunt. All but one of those has gone. The only difference with vintage vs new, is the price ( up or down ) and the "research" is slightly different. The activity though is largely the same - read, search, acquire, pics, posts, storage, sale, repeat. I'm bored of those activities.

Thirdly, complications and non-divers. Yes, there are more things than water resistance, "lume", fat cases and bezel action. I can appreciate a decent watch, I just don't need to ( temporarily, most likely ) own it. As my old forum signature used to say, "admire not acquire".

And finally, I've sold most of the things I bought in the last few years. At one point I bought a safe to keep them all in. I am retaining only two "expensive" ones - a Speedmaster sapphire sandwich and Sea Dweller. Both bought new and both now claimed in advance by my kids, as soon as they have wrists large enough to wear them. That leaves me with two Monsters, orange and black, and a DW5600. Enough I think.

Paul

Bored Bored Bored

Sounds like you need a new hobby.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Yep, just do something different. Life's too short to be bored

Couldn't agree more with the OP.

Just buying watches and taking pics to show off to like minded individuals is pretty shallow. Let's face it your only input in that situation is money.

Vintage watches, learning about watch movements and the chance of a coup at an antiques market/boot sale is the only thing that has kept me interested over time.

Conspicuous consumption of expensive baubles is not a hobby and is pretty meaningless in reality.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Couldn't agree more with the OP.

Just buying watches and taking pics to show off to like minded individuals is pretty shallow. Let's face it your only input in that situation is money.

Vintage watches, learning about watch movements and the chance of a coup at an antiques market/boot sale is the only thing that has kept me interested over time.

Conspicuous consumption of expensive baubles is not a hobby and is pretty meaningless in reality.
    I personally don't consider watch collecting a hobby. I won't apologise for my materialism, but I would certainly be against treating a form of materialism as a hobby.

I consider it more of an "interest", as I don't actually do anything other than pick the one I want and pay for it. Sure I like to read about it, research it, and increase my knowledge but again I still don't consider that to be a hobby. It's just sensible if I'm parting with a lot of money.

In the case of the OP (and others that share his sentiments), I wonder if his decision to treat watches as a hobby rather than as an interest has basically resulted in total overkill, to the point of him being fed up of it.

Master
    Been there, felt that, right back in the thick of it again. Went through a period of not buying anything for months and not being interested at all, but all it takes is one watch to spark that bit of interest and you get sucked in again. Maybe you just need a bit of a break from watches and then you can come back to them in a few months time and see how you feel?

Yep.. me too...

The non watch items in SC interest me more... so curently the spare cash has gone on upgrading the PC.. new graphics card/monitor.

When you like at the relative cost its shocking.. its like chirstmas come again when you see what you can buy for the price of one watch :)

There is still on watch I would like to get but the passion to pursue it is not there at the moment (nor is the cash unless I sell one of the remaing few).

Most likely in a couple of months gaming will be dead andI will move back onto something else..

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Right, as it seems to be some kind of ritual after being on this forum for a while, I too would like to inform you, in anticipation of your obvious eager interest, that I'm bored of watches. Not the forum. Watches.

You can almost fill in the rest from any of the previous posts on this. Buy watch, wear it, take pic, buy another, put one in the box, read about a different one, buy another, sell one, take more pics, buy strap, write watch-related nonsense, buy strap, sell watch, buy another, keep empty boxes and bubble wrap around "just in case", read watch-related nonsense. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Bored bored bored. "Basel" ? About as interested as I am in the latest photocopier models. It's not a hobby, it's a waste of time.

Paul
    Arguably all hobbies are a waste of time, and I suppose you could say that work is a waste of time too (but at least you get paid for it).

What is a hobby? Something you enjoy spending your time doing, or in fact just a way of labelling time. If you don't enjoy watches any more maybe it's time for another/new hobby.

Either way, it's better than time spent sitting on the sofa watching TV.

I agree though, it does sort of go round in the never ending circle you describe ending either with boredom or more watches...

Master
    I feel the same I have bought and sold quite a few watches and now I am down to just one watch which should be returned to me soon after a full service and case restoration. I got to the point of dreading having to package a watch up to post off I just don't want the hassle anyone and I also don't want thousands of pounds sat in watches when that money could be paying more off my mortgage.

I still love watches though and alway look on sc but my willpower is strong now :) it is a great hobby though.

Andy

Blog Entries
    Only, but only if there's a really cracking piece in the lower to middle price ranges I'm now operating in, I might be tempted.

Looking is still great though, even if it's much ado about nothing lately.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    Boredom with the repeated acquisition of more-or-less interchangeable material goods, squire? 'S all part of yer Great Wheel of Becoming, innit.

Every now and again the realisation hits home that watch acquisition per se is just a never-ending cycle of "get watch, enjoy watch, get bored with watch, flip watch, get watch..." and there really are only so many ways to tell the time: and that's bound to lead to feeling jaded and bored.

I think this is why I generally find vintage watches a more fruitful and interesting focus than new(ish) ones - there were many more independent brands in (say) the '70s, often with their own design DNA and house style, plus it was a time of great innovation in watchmaking, with the start of the quartz revolution.

I'm at a similar stage, although I still enjoy the watches I have.
    The problem I find is that the major watch companies have increased prices to the point where they are no longer worth it to me. My datejust now retails at 7.5K. Nice watch but balls is it worth that!

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I'm at a similar stage, although I still enjoy the watches I have. The problem I find is that the major watch companies have increased prices to the point where they are no longer worth it to me. My datejust now retails at 7.5K. Nice watch but balls is it worth that!
    This.

I'm down to just my Speedy and my Sub, and it's just as well I already have 'em, because there's no way I would replace either at current prices.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Boredom with the repeated acquisition of more-or-less interchangeable material goods, squire? 'S all part of yer Great Wheel of Becoming, innit.

Every now and again the realisation hits home that watch acquisition per se is just a never-ending cycle of "get watch, enjoy watch, get bored with watch, flip watch, get watch..." and there really are only so many ways to tell the time: and that's bound to lead to feeling jaded and bored.
    Spot on! Watches are the ultimate expression of consumerism, desire in its purest form - it's highly magnetic but can't be expected to actually get you anywhere, aka 'samsara'. And it's not so much a hobby as a very extended and enjoyable shopping trip. At some point you do actually end up with the right watche(s), at which point it's time redecorate your house, or buy some art or something. Most likely it becomes relevant again when the rest of your life has actually changed significantly, and you deserve a watch that fits your age and accomplishments - perhaps a decade later on. Or if there are some actual changes in style and technology, but that's not every day. In the meantime, it can only be good to find some other things to obssess about, though unfortunately few seem to inspire the demented passion of watches, at least until you've seen them all.

Apprentice
    get yourselves a vintage moto x / trials bike , fresh air and adrenalin will boost your endorphins , sense of purpose will come back,
    + youll be glad of a sit down and appreciate your time pieces during the week after, also look for the watches of lesser notoriety theyll be what people are talking about soon .
    money cant by you love !!!

Bored Bored Bored

I hardly looked at the forum for 6 months with cycling taking over the space, but all it took was one Orange Monster to get me back in the zone. Inexpensive can be very pleasurable

David

Banned
    I've been into watches for decades but the degree of interest is cyclical which is true of other interests as well.

focus on other things and don't worry about it. there's awhole wonderful world out there to explore; so much to do and so little time!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rano85 View Post
    Maybe you need more than one hobby/interest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Sounds like you two agree.

Start here:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

Or you need to change your relationship to watches and start designing and building your own, which is way more fun than buying another of the same as everyone else on the forum has.

Bye. Have fun wherever you go.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I hardly looked at the forum for 6 months with cycling taking over the space, but all it took was one Orange Monster to get me back in the zone. Inexpensive can be very pleasurable
    If you love watches, or horology, and not bands and image. I applaud your perception, but nonetheless, you seem to be on the wrong forum.

Bored Bored Bored

I hate to admit it but Im at tilt too! That said Ive always enjoyed them but having had everyone Ive ever wanted Ive scratched the itch and find they were all great but simple satisfaction comes from a good diet, exercise, a quality job, and a one half decent robust diver.

Kerry only 8 posts to go then. Damn, things must be changing for you thinking of leaving.
    I was in Southport today and noticed quite a few second hand Rolex in various shops, maybe there are more people letting their watches go than buying now.

Journeyman
    I agree with much that has been said in that all these hobbies tend to be quite cyclical. As for me I've just bought my first proper watch so am still really excited :)

I wouldn't say I'm bored as such, but echo the comments above on new costs of (in particular) Rolex,Omega Breitling and IWC.
    I frankly get just as much ownership fun out of cheaper stuff like Glycine, Alpina,Stowa,O&W and so on.
    Thinking of going down from a dozen or so to 3 or 4 and slowing up a bit tbh.
    Goat

Craftsman
    Get some thing broken and fix it. Learning, skills and a sense of doing something worthwhile. A new watch is consumerism. Fixing a broken one...

Hope the spark rekindles... Watches are fine things; shopping is shopping!

Bored Bored Bored

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    With me it's a bit different. I still get quite enthusiastic with the new watches that come along that appeal to me. My problem is that my enthusiasm wanes very quickly after I get each watch. I find that I wear them for a short time and then into the watch box they go. When it's time to put a watch on in the morning before going to work, I look at all the expensive pieces I have in the watch box and then, 90% of the time, strap on my Casio. The reasons I give myself for doing this are as follows - I don't have to worry about winding the Casio or setting the time on it. I don't ahve to worry about keeping it clean or worry about dinging it up. The rest of the world doesn't notice or care about the watch I wear, so why should I?

But, the foregoing notwithstanding, I now find that I'm all in a dither to make sure I get that new DN watch and that new bronze-cased Cali style watch that Eddie's about to make available on the website. I've apparently still got the fever.

But on the positive side, it appears that after an 8 year infatuation with Panerai, I'm having no difficulty in walking away from that particular brand.
    The world does notice what watch you wear. Well known fact in social psychology; women look at a man's shoes and their watch. It's a marker of your ability to provide for a potential family apparently.

And for an entirely different reason (I swear), I noticed today my big boss was wearing a Speedmaster.

People notice detail.

Journeyman
    Well I won't suggest clocks then as an alternative !

Bored again. Too bored to start a new topic. Suggestions ? Not watches, cameras or cars. Nor hats, just so we're clear.

Old wooden yachts.

That'll fix you.

Won't have any money or time left for anything else..!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Bored again. Too bored to start a new topic. Suggestions ? Not watches, cameras or cars. Nor hats, just so we're clear.
    Personally I found getting back to the guitar a couple of years back a revelation.

Difficult thing to get bored with so why not take up a musical instrument?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Personally I found getting back to the guitar a couple of years back a revelation.

Difficult thing to get bored with so why not take up a musical instrument?
    Not a bad idea ... sold my old electric guitar ( anyone remember the "Marlin" Stratocaster copies ? ) about 25 years ago but could be tempted to pick one up again. Would doubtless amuse my kids if nothing else

Banned
    Have you tried scuba diving?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Have you tried scuba diving?
    I did, I have my Open Water certification and have dived a few times, but it never really bit me. Just too much fussing. Even when I was in the Maldives, I preferred snorkelling. Good suggestion though !

Paul

Edit. Buy two pens. A Pilot Metropolitan, and a TWSBI 580. Get a couple of bottles of ink. Interesting colours. Buy a pad of nice paper, and write to people. Proper letters. See who writes back.
    Last edited by Qatar-wol; 10th September 2014 at 07:29.