closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    I just reread his email and he didn't say what I thought. He said keep at least 10mm of spacers on the stem. I'll just have to trust how Justin has put it together. His reputation is great so I'm not worried. A fellow cyclist did point out that I was brave going 50mph down a massive hill yesterday on its first ride but I did check all was tight before and it all felt very solid at that speed.
    Ah I'm sure it's fine if it's been built by a proper bike mechanic who knows his stuff. Google around the issues for more info.

As for 50mph downhill... I just don't need that kind of adrenaline rush anymore, and the pain of a broken scaphoid and the operation that followed is a good reminder not to take silly risks! (though that injury happened on the flat at about 18mph, which just goes to show you never know what could happen!)

I hadn't really planned to go that fast but its a massive hill with good visibility and no traffic. I was somewhat shocked to see after that I had hit 50!

Here's my current ride:

Had it since July.
    Gets used weekly over Cannock Chase.
    Only upgrades are CarbonCycles Exotic flat pedals, enduro guard and got rid of the metal cage bolys and changed to flatter nylon ones.

Hoping to upgrade to a full bouncer next year.

Master
    Quite an eventful week this week...

I took my mtb in to the LBS for some tlc only to get a call 2 days later saying they had been burgled and my bike had been nicked :( So if anyone is offered a large Pace RC104 give me a shout! Pace confirmed it is one of a kind - the rear seat stay sticker is on upside down...

So after a few days of man flu I took this flying machine for a spin earlier....

Happy Xmas biking TZers :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ism123 View Post
    I took my mtb in to the LBS for some tlc only to get a call 2 days later saying they had been burgled and my bike had been nicked
    I always wondered about this situation - what is their resolution? Are you going to have to jump through hoops proving it's condition etc?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I always wondered about this situation - what is their resolution? Are you going to have to jump through hoops proving it's condition etc?
    No, new for old replacement. TBH cash would be better at present (bike build was ca £1800) and I had contemplated selling the bike, so will see how that discussion goes when the time is right.

Master
    My Cervelo equipped brother is visiting from the USA on Boxing Day, equipped with his Cervelo...I've spent almost exactly zero saddle hours since October.

I am going to be punished into a small greasy smear......

On the plus side he drinks like a six year old girl, so I'll take him in the bar!

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

I've also been trying to learn maintenance starting from a zero base. I have the titanium Burls referenced above but also a 2012 Specialized Secteur Elite on which I am practising maintenance. In the last 2 weekends I've stripped the headset and replaced the horrible mindset system with a new sealed bearing headset, stripped front and back hubs and cleaned/regreased/replaced worn bearings, taken off and cleaned cassette and chain. I'm moving onto bottom bracket and recabling this weekend. I've made a few errors (spewing rear hub bearings all over my gravel driveway being a beauty) but with YouTube and the right tools I am getting the hang of it. Well worth doing. The idea is to use this new found knowledge to keep the much more expensive Burls minty.

Edit: I decided to do this maintenance as I fell off the Burls on black ice 2 weekends ago damaging my rotator cuff in my shoulder, shredding a goretex jacket and bib tights. More worryingly it made me realise that I wouldn't have been able to repair the Burls had it been more damaged (luckily just an Ultegra brake lever scraped up and pedal scratches, I took the brunt and the bike landed on me).
    Last edited by PipPip; 3rd February 2015 at 17:13.

Just as a photographer should have a tripod, a bike mechanic should have a workstand. Re wheels and different cassettes, you can fit 8,9 and 10 speed to an 11 speed hub using a spacer, but not the other way around. My winter bike is 9sp and my "good" bike has Ultegra 6800 11sp on (both 12-32, 32 for the Alps and the end of long days back over the Pennines from Cumbria) and I don't find the slightly different gaps a problem, so your 10sp should be fine with that 30 sprocket. If you are spinning when your mates aren't then you need more miles and hills in your legs.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I sold my CX bike and have purchased Specialized lastest multi-purpose bike, the Diverge. I flogged the Claris groupset and have replaced it with 10spd Ultegra. Very happy with how it rides on and off road so far.
    Last edited by benny.c; 10th April 2018 at 16:36.

Craftsman
    Cyclists of TZ please can you help me with my dilemma!!

I’m looking to pick your brain, I’m going to get a new FS MTB with the Cycle scheme and have narrowed it down to a couple of bikes and wanted to asked what you thought of them and if you’d recommend one over the other…

First up is the B’Twin Rockrider 9.2 and up against it is the Mondraker Tracker R 29

Both are the same money at £1100 and both the shops will let me pay the extra £100 in cash to get the bike for the 1k Cycle scheme limit.

Which one would you go for and why?

Cheers
    Gary

Been away for a while focussing on bicycles rather than watches

The cycling bug took me again when I was asked to do a charity ride from Pembrokeshire to London in May of 2013. Since I was last hear I've bought / built and sold a few bikes. I no longer race, (ex-Second-Cat) but instead prefer the gentle sport of Sportifs (this year will include Carten100 / Velothon Wales / Prudential Ride London-Surrey 100). I'm also about to embark on formal British Cycling Level 1 Coaching which should be the start of a new hobby... Any way I hope you enjoy these:

1993 Stumpjumper (almost NOS) - gone

2001 Explosif (scandium) - self build - gone

2007 Isaac Force - self-build - gone

1997 GT Lightening Ti (almost NOS) - sunny days

2013 Sintesi Seven7teen - self-build - muddy days

2014 Wilier Centor Air 1- sunny days

2006 GIANT TCR - self build - daily commute
    Last edited by Stuart D; 4th February 2015 at 20:02.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbaws View Post
    Cyclists of TZ please can you help me with my dilemma!!

I’m looking to pick your brain, I’m going to get a new FS MTB with the Cycle scheme and have narrowed it down to a couple of bikes and wanted to asked what you thought of them and if you’d recommend one over the other…

First up is the B’Twin Rockrider 9.2 and up against it is the Mondraker Tracker R 29

Both are the same money at £1100 and both the shops will let me pay the extra £100 in cash to get the bike for the 1k Cycle scheme limit.

Which one would you go for and why?

Cheers
    Gary
    Sorry, cant comment on either of the two above, but here's a couple of potentially useful articles. Not sure you will be able to get them all on C2W but could be some food for thought?

http://www.mbr.co.uk/bikes/bike-grou...n-bikes-323222

http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-su...-27-5-2-review

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I sold my CX bike and have purchased Specialized lastest multi-purpose bike, the Diverge. I flogged the Claris groupset and have replaced it with 10spd Ultegra. Very happy with how it rides on and off road so far.

I've been considering one of those since I first heard they were replacing the Tricross. What are your thoughts on it on road? I was thinking of it for a fast commute option.

Master
    It's great on the road, basically like an Allez/Roubaix with fat tyres and disc brakes. It feels pretty quick/sharp even on the 32c tyres. Here's a quick review I did on PH…..

I've had the Diverge for a week or so now and have been out for three 30+ mile rides on it. First impressions are very positive indeed. On road it is very, very comfortable and rides pretty similar to an Allez that I used to own. Apart from the fat tyres and disc brakes you wouldn't really know that you weren't on a regular road bike. Even on poor road surfaces, it really soaks up the bumps and you get very little buzz.

Off road it is just as capable as my Cube X-Race cross bike and more comfortable, even with the 32c tyres pumped up to 80psi (compared to 35c tyres at 50psi on the cross bike). You wouldn't want to race cross on it but for bridleways, tow paths and the like it is brilliant. Not all cross bikes are the same obviously, but my Cube had the traditional very short top tube and I was always a little cramped on it.

I can see me using the Diverge for some longer distance rides instead of my regular road bike to be honest. I think with 28c Conti Four Seasons it would make a great touring bike, but actually the 32's roll along pretty well. Although they are effectively a road tyre, they cope OK with a bit of mud off road so I'll probably leave them on for now. You aren't going to be racing across muddy fields in them but they are fine for where I use them.

Up until now I'd resisted the urge to have disc brakes as I found that mini-V's provide all the stopping power I needed. For the first hour or so on the Diverge I thought I'd made a terrible mistake going for a bike with mechanical discs as they hardly stopped the bike. However, once the pads bedded in my confidence grew and now I wouldn't go back to rim brakes for this type of the bike. The stopping power is excellent and predictable, and there is enough modulation. Mini-V's can be a pain with mudguards and obviously with discs it's pretty much a none issue. I went for the Specialized Plug and Play ones (as the other Diverge on this thread) and they are a neat fit. They took a little bit of manipulating to get them straight but once on they are very solid.

So, very impressed so far. It's probably a bit corny, but if someone had designed a bike based on my requirements for a go anywhere/winter bike then the Diverge would pretty much be it...a titanium frame would be nice though! My only complaint is the dull colour choice at the moment but I guess that'll change if they manage to shift a few.
    Last edited by benny.c; 10th April 2018 at 16:37.

Craftsman
    I am given to understand bicycles work in inclement weather too...[/QUOTE]
    Yea but I don't

Blog Entries
    Oops, how do I explain this to the wife, both the bike and the work stand in the kitchen!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    Oops, how do I explain this to the wife, both the bike and the work stand in the kitchen!
    That looks nice. Did you get it in halfords?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Tell her the truth: its a work of art!
    Indeed it is, she is away this weekend, I might put it on the wall in the lounge!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    That looks nice. Did you get it in halfords?
    The stand or the bike!?

Here you go chaps, something a little different ....................

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    Indeed it is, she is away this weekend, I might put it on the wall in the lounge!

- - - Updated - - -

The stand or the bike!?
    The bike. For a no name brand and wheels with a go faster name (zipp lol) it looks quite nice. Maybe next time you can upgrade to a Carrerra...

Tell her the truth: its a work of art!

Grand Master
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Yes, yes, yes. Love that - perfect city bikes (proper quick too) but in Ti with that welding.........drool.

Craftsman
    Still haven't bought a bike for this summer, time to pull my finger out!

I bought this Specialized Rockhopper 29er last year but only have about 25 miles on it. Been concentrating much more on my running.

Journeyman
    Would anyone in the Leeds area be interested in A Bob Jackson from around 78-80?

22 1/2 inch frame. Vintage Campag rear derailleur and shifters. Brooks saddle has now gone (disintegrated mid way through a ride!) replaced with a generic saddle. £350.00?

Need to clear space for my next bike. After 2 years of waiting I am soon to get a Feather Bike! Ricky is just arranging a measure up appointment for me. :)

Have recently started a build for my 8yo lad.
    Picked up a cheap Carrera Blast 24" on ebay a few weeks back.
    Got a set of 80mm Fox Floats to put on it and a set of Deore shifters and cable brakes too.

Started stripping the bike to get it powdercoated in the next couple of weeks.

Started like this:

Ended like this for now:

Got new crankset, chain, bars etc. to go on too.

He should be pleased when it's finished. Should also be a fair bit lighter too.

Master
    Great photos Nigel, are you going to post some of your attempts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Great photos Nigel, are you going to post some of your attempts ?
    No I won't, still busy googling "How to remove a unicycle from my ....."
    Nigel

Craftsman
    Finally got my Cycle to work vouchers so picked up my new bike on Saturday, just need to get out on it now uploadfromtaptalk1427144121927.jpg

Finally got my Cycle to work vouchers so picked up my new bike on Saturday, just need to get out on it now uploadfromtaptalk1427144121927.jpg
    Are you planning to cycle to work on that, lol.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Are you planning to cycle to work on that, lol.
    Actually yes I am, I'm roughly 4 miles from the office and the quickest route will include 3 miles off road.

Actually yes I am, I'm roughly 4 miles from the office and the quickest route will include 3 miles off road.
    Now that's the sort of commute I'd look forward to every morning!

Oooh. Presume you topped up the vouchers with about the same in cash for one of those?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Oooh. Presume you topped up the vouchers with about the same in cash for one of those?
    Hoping the wife doesn't read this......

Yes I topped up £700 on top on my 1k voucher

Master
    Wow love that, bet that was a few £££

Master
    Sod a car need a new bike!!! MTB single speed, Salsa

It was supposed to be a reasonably budget build, but then I got carried away with the paint and the wheels etc. Hope it rides as well as it looks!

IF have put a few Belgian references on the paintwork too which I love...

Craftsman
    Old school cyclists used to use a toe clip strap to hold reluctant tyres
    on the rim before easing the rest on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    A good tip is to use bits of string. Squeeze the tyre bead together, push into the well of the rim, tie a bit of string around the tyre and the rim at that point to hold it in place. Repeat at about six inches along. You should then be able to push the rest of the tyre in using your thumbs. Honestly can't recall the last time I used levers to put a tyre on (take them off? Sure, but not to put them on).
    Quote Originally Posted by warns74 View Post
    Great wheels but can be very tricky getting some brands of tyre on, I had issues with Contis. Not sure if you have tried this but if not, it's critical you get the bead into the central groove of the rim while you try to get the tyres on plus putting some warm soapy water on the bead first really helps them slip on.

First couple of times I put tyres on there was a lot of swearing, now I can just about do it without using levers in most cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    Old school cyclists used to use a toe clip strap to hold reluctant tyres
    on the rim before easing the rest on.
    Tried to hold it on with three of the straps from my cycle carrier but made no difference, snapped a few leavers in the process too.

A google tells me that plenty of others have had issues with this tire / rim combo so not too surprised

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Tried to hold it on with three of the straps from my cycle carrier but made no difference, snapped a few leavers in the process too.

A google tells me that plenty of others have had issues with this tire / rim combo so not too surprised

Which rims are they build with? If it's the Stans Crests then I'd agree - trying to get a pair of Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (which usually fall onto other rims) mounted tubeless on them was a pigging nightmare.

Although probably only the third hardest combination I've had after Veloflex clinchers on Pacenti Sl23s and a pair of particularly offensive Continental Competition tubs on a pair of Planet X wheels - an effort that was made even more unpleasant by tubs (and subsequently me) being covered in glue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Which rims are they build with? If it's the Stans Crests then I'd agree - trying to get a pair of Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (which usually fall onto other rims) mounted tubeless on them was a pigging nightmare.

Although probably only the third hardest combination I've had after Veloflex clinchers on Pacenti Sl23s and a pair of particularly offensive Continental Competition tubs on a pair of Planet X wheels - an effort that was made even more unpleasant by tubs (and subsequently me) being covered in glue.
    Arch ex and wtb wolverines do not play nice 😼

TZ Cycling/Bike Appreciation thread!

Changed the bar tape on the Burls to black. Done a few hundred miles on this now and its a treat to ride:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430339838.098927.jpg

Picked this up a few weeks back, it's new to me, my dream bike ( well almost anyhoo)
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7 Di2 2014 MY.
    Not had a chance to take any good pics of it yet but hope to real soon.
    Stunning bike that responds to to any increase in power and is so comfortable also.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
    Nice!

Master
    Stunning bike that responds to to any increase in power and is so comfortable also.

Googled that - yup, it’s nice! Enjoy. Looks like good cycling country in the photo.

Banned
    Picked this up a few weeks back, it's new to me, my dream bike ( well almost anyhoo)
    its really hard to do better vfm than with Canyon - great choice!

and lucky you to live in Scotland with such marvellous roads to enjoy!

Thanks all. Really can't complain about the cycling in Scotland, I'm in central Scotland so definitely flatter than other area's but I can still have a good work out locally and on a good day It can look quite pretty.

Craftsman
    I picked up a Boardman copm hybrid cheap off Gumtree last week to get out for a few miles in the evening after work and hopefully help lose some weight