closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grail watches that didn't live up to the dream

Grail watches that didn't live up to the dream

Morning all. I've been meaning to post this topic since I joined. Apologies if it's been done to death elsewhere in this forum. I did do a search for 'grail watch' but was inundated with 1000s of results for 'Rolex Daytona Chronograph' .

So, have you scrimped and saved and sold from your collection to buy a watch, only for your dreams to be shattered when it's finally on your wrist? My grail watch was a JLC Master Compressor GMT Navy Seals. I just loved the detail, styling and JLC mechanism. I had seriously considered flying to the US and buying one, such was their rarity. After over 18 months of looking, one came up with Watchfinder, which they sent to their Leeds shop. I dragged MBOH to Leeds on a wet Winter morning and hot footed to their premises. Only when it was in my wrist did I realise how huge it was, not just in diameter but in height off the wrist. It would have been totally unwearable under a shirt or jacket and on bare wrists looked almost comical. Incidentally the chap in the shop was in agreement!

Needless to say I left without a purchase, I did look at some of their other stock but it would have been a knee-jerk reaction.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Sorry for the post length BTW.

Nice that the guy in the shop was friendly with you as your enthusiasm slipped away. Easy to imagine the fake smiles of some sales staff disappearing at the same rate.

Have you considered the 3-hands version of the JLC? Should be less prominent than the chronograph.

Craftsman
    Mine was the Tudor Pelagos. First saw it online and thought it ticked all my boxes. Traveled to Canada on my anniversary trip and arranged with a local AD there to have one available. Unlike you though I wasn't smart. Even though I knew right away that it was too big for my liking I bought in anyway. And I flipped it less than a year later for a big loss.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Never a grail but an undoubted icon, the Speedy Pro and I just don't get on.

Master
    Nautilus, 5711. A 'grail' watch for many. When I got one it was as lovely as reputation suggested. But , for me, it quickly felt a bit lacking in 'heft' and durability. I felt it could be damaged/marked too easily in the sort of life I lead. So, fine watch but probably not for me. These things happen.
    So I sold, at a profit, and bought a steel Daytona. Which suits me better. No harm done!nand no disrespect to the 5711.
    I now have a ceramic Daytona and a white gold Daytona. That's my mechanical watch 'collection.'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Nautilus, 5711. A 'grail' watch for many. When I got one it was as lovely as reputation suggested. But , for me, it quickly felt a bit lacking in 'heft' and durability. I felt it could be damaged/marked too easily in the sort of life I lead. So, fine watch but probably not for me. These things happen.
    So I sold, at a profit, and bought a steel Daytona. Which suits me better. No harm done!nand no disrespect to the 5711.
    I now have a ceramic Daytona and a white gold Daytona. That's my mechanical watch 'collection.'
    Had pretty much the same feelings with a 5712.

Maxi dial 5513. Just 'not enough' there, once I painfully chased one down, and it couldn't compete with my Ed White for that.......?

Master
    So, this lived with me briefly, about two months, and has now gone to a new home.
    This has taken its place
    I feel a bit sad, but I knew the 5711 was not quite right for me. Too refined and sophisticated. Great for the right guy.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Never a grail but an undoubted icon, the Speedy Pro and I just don't get on.
    +1......I can wear the SMP pre-ceramic and it doesn't look too big, but the similarly sized Speedy Pro does. Speedy reduced fits far better and that's what I own, but I would prefer the real McCoy.

Paul

Master
    Marinemaster :0(

I've loved Seikos since I don't know when and finally I got a mint SBDX017. I added all sorts of straps and was just blown away by the build quality, finish, time keeping and eye catching-ness.

But it was just too top heavy and flopped all over the place if worn a bit loose, it was too heavy to be worn tight (for me anyway). I found myself continually worried that I would hit it against something as it stuck out a good 17mm, so I placed it in its box and waited for a WTB to appear.

It's utterly beautiful, enchantingly clear and incredibly well made, but I now have a Davosa Ternos as my diver's watch and daily wearer as it has a much more suitable profile. I'll keep that until I can afford a Submariner.

Shame, but at least I did it. It's better to regret something you did do rather than regret not doing it. :0)

I have to add that the Davosa is easily as well made as the Seiko, easily. The attention to detail and fit and finish are first class for the absurdly low price. I paid £587 including next day delivery from Heinnie Haynes. Lume is astonishing and the ceramic is exceptionally well undertaken.

Out...

In (until funds allow a Rolex)...
    Last edited by Filterlab; 17th September 2017 at 10:22.

Master
    Back in 2014 I visited the JLC factory, and got all excited about buying a JLC.

I really liked the master compressor range and after failing to buy a Geographic from SC (seller changed his mind) I spotted a Memovox in a shop in Chester...

I bought it.... a year later I realised it just wasn't for me, in fact it was probably the most uncomfortable watch I've ever worn..... lost a fortune on it to when it came to selling on. I still like JLC watches, but I won't be buying another.

Another was an IWC Aquatimer in titanium, the main spring broke on it....

Haven't had much luck with twin crown watches...

Master
    I had wanted a Rolex sub for as long as I could remember. I finally got one, a lv, in 2009 ish. Never liked it, it felt light and insubstantial, especially the clasp, sold it a couple of years later.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1......I can wear the SMP pre-ceramic and it doesn't look too big, but the similarly sized Speedy Pro does. Speedy reduced fits far better and that's what I own, but I would prefer the real McCoy.

Paul
    Another + from me. It definitely was my grail until I got one in the nineties. I rarely felt comfortable wearing it. Somehow the proportions seemed wrong, the thin bezel, the huge hesalite crystal, the space between the chrono registers and the bezel and the shortish lugs all made it feel flabby. Plus it didn't feel like the real McCoy with its second tier c. 861 instead of the original c. 321. Mine also had quality control issues, it went back several times, bits and pieces corroded (!) and my local AD completely massacred it. All in all a huge disappointment.

Sent from my F8331 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    What about the FOIS?

Master
    Talking of 'losing a fortune'....for once I came out quite well selling the 5711. Here's how it went. Purchased at then retail, £18000. Sold two months later...after 5% rise...For £22000. Notional £4000 . Only real profit I ever made. Usually lose. Which I sort of did again, because I had to pay over the odds to get the ceramic Daytona.
    When all the maths was done, I had bought the unworn Daytona for the equivalent of £10,000. Quite happy with that.

I had the Daytona 116500 Ceramic BKK for a couple of days, paid a premium for it, discovered I preferred the 116520 as the SS bezel made it feel bigger and with more refinement. Sold the Daytona C for what I paid so no harm done and as money came in for it a BLNR came available. New watch on wrist and money in the bank. Win all round.

Master
    Oh, 1655 Freccione. Wanted one for ages, researched, saved, found "the one", went to buy, nope.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I had wanted a Rolex sub for as long as I could remember. I finally got one, a lv, in 2009 ish. Never liked it, it felt light and insubstantial, especially the clasp, sold it a couple of years later.

Same for me,standard Rolex Sub date too small and the bracelet felt like a cheap after thought.

Kept it for a few years and sold it although at todays prices should have stored it away.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Same for me,standard Rolex Sub date too small and the bracelet felt like a cheap after thought.

Kept it for a few years and sold it although at todays prices should have stored it away.
    I felt the same way when i finally was able to go out and buy a Submariner (never handled one previously) my only options at the time were pre owned 5 digit Subs in a local watch dealer and I was so dissapointed

When I managed to get my hands on a SubC it was the opposite for me, it was how i expected the earlier models to feel, luckily i have never understood the larger lug/ceramic hysteria so I was able to buy the much better watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

Amen to that 🤤🤤🤤

I'd always been after a Daytona (a few years ago so pre ceramic) and loads of people had warned me that they disappoint in the metal. I actually felt the opposite once I owned them (I had both colours). Beautiful watches and really classy. If anything they went over my already high expectations.

In terms of what disappointed me, well couldn't see where the additional money on my Patek 5167 went over, say, a BP 50 fathoms or a Grand Seiko. Also the AP RO was a bit of a disappointment and I couldn't see why people were going nuts over the bracelets when IWC had ones just as nice for about a third of the price.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    116500 would be closest for me, was waiting for a ceramic Daytona like most of us but the Owl subdials are just not my thing, much prefer Panda subdials.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'd always been after a Daytona (a few years ago so pre ceramic) and loads of people had warned me that they disappoint in the metal. I actually felt the opposite once I owned them (I had both colours). Beautiful watches and really classy. If anything they went over my already high expectations.

In terms of what disappointed me, well couldn't see where the additional money on my Patek 5167 went over, say, a BP 50 fathoms or a Grand Seiko. Also the AP RO was a bit of a disappointment and I couldn't see why people were going nuts over the bracelets when IWC had ones just as nice for about a third of the price.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Got a pic of this IWC bracelet? I think Breitling make excellent bracelets, as good if not better than Rolex, glidelock aside, but they are not in the same league as the RO bracelet in finish and sheen.

A JLC for me, as well:

Nice enough watch, but I barely wore it as it wasn't really my style — and I also wanted to be free of Richemont service dependency.

I bought this after wanting it for ages

V shortly after purchasing it just didn't feel right /suit me - weird. Sold within a few weeks

Craftsman
    For me it was the speedmaster 9300 in titanium. I always wanted a speedy pro but never liked the movement/lack of date. Also I love bi-compax chronos. Speedy 9300 seemed perfect. And in pictures I really liked the blue titanium version. I went to see one, tried one on - thickness and the cheap feeling bracelet were the first things I noticed. I decided to get one anyway. In the end never really felt it and I also didn't like the hands which aren't the same as on Speedy Pro or steel Speedy 9300. I got rid of it after 2 months. Had I gone for the regular steel version with plastic hands I think I might have kept it.

Journeyman
    Not a grail but a few keepers prior to one. A few watches springs to mind when search for the first piece I was going to spend some money on.
    Was in a position to look around the £3000 mark whilst saving for a Subc.
    With that in mind I choose to look at some Omegas
    Tudor Pelagos Wanted to try one and when I saw it I knew it was just not right, mainly the size 42mm and no heft to it as such, also found it uninspiring. I had been thinking about these since they were released.
    Next I looked at the Speedy Pro, loved how they look online, when it come to viewing at the Omega boutique, it didn't do anything for me. Tried on the Seamaster and actually preferred that.
    Decided against buying it as it was going to be too similar to the Subc.
    In the end Bought a Seiko Sumo and and the Subc was finally found and bought.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

I really liked the master compressor range and after failing to buy a Geographic from SC (seller changed his mind) I spotted a Memovox in a shop in Chester...

I bought it.... a year later I realised it just wasn't for me, in fact it was probably the most uncomfortable watch I've ever worn..... lost a fortune on it to when it came to selling on. I still like JLC watches, but I won't be buying another.

Why was the memovox so uncomfortable?

Navitimer. Nice watch, purchased at a good price, but rarely worn and subsequently sold.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Shounen View Post
    Have you considered the 3-hands version of the JLC? Should be less prominent than the chronograph.
    This - I have the 3 hander and it is a great watch. I always liked the GMT and alarm versions esp the BH limited editions like that one and was very tempted when saw one being sold off at Costco.

Didn't realise they would be so big although I think 46mm vs 42 for the 3 hand version.

Quote Originally Posted by Shounen View Post

This - I have the 3 hander and it is a great watch. I always liked the GMT and alarm versions esp the BH limited editions like that one and was very tempted when saw one being sold off at Costco.

Didn't realise they would be so big although I think 46mm vs 42 for the 3 hand version.

Craftsman
    Nautilus 5711, looks amazing in pictures but just doesn't have presence on the wrists unfortunately!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post

It's a big watch and quite thick so sat high on the wrist, mine was on a bracelet, (which was fantastic). But on the wrist, the case back dug into my wrist bone.

Might have been better on a strap, but I'd lost interest in it and couldn't be bothered trying it...

Master
    Worst disappointment? 1969 Speedmaster Professional, bought new in Ankara in ... 1969. Cost a month's pay, never kept time, the hair-pulling bracelet was made from recycled baked bean cans and the seconds sub-dial hand fell off.

Never been in space, but if I had, wouldn't have taken one with me.

Holy thread resurrection! But worthy of a bump (IMHO)

This is a good thread, here's one of my offerings. A Grand Seiko SBGH001. I followed it round the forum, offering trades a couple of times it came up for sale and so on. Eventually I managed to get hold of it and it the postman delivered it with my new X-33 Skywalker. The latter was exactly what I was expecting but the GS just felt too small and didn't have the sort of presence I'd expected from staring at photos of it for so long. I put the GS back in its box and started wearing the X-33.

As it turns out, the watch grew on me and I still wear it often, so it worked out in the end. Had I tried it on first I'd not have bought it, but it's very subtle how the light catches the hands and markers and how the dial changes colour from being cold and with a slight green tint in the morning to being warm in the afternoon. It's a fantastic watch and fulfils the roll of my old Marine Chronometer, it's the watch no one will bother mugging you for.

"A man of little significance"

Rolex Daytona, Seiko Willard, Omega Speedmaster, Smiths Expedition, Precista PRS-56, I've never really subscribed to the "grail watch" thingy, but all of the above didn't live up to my imagination, and ultimately disappeared.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Had hundreds of sub £1000 watches through my hands (mainly Seiko). All the while lusting for a Rolex oyster perpetual 39mm. Had a bit of cash spare, so I pulled the trigger. It arrived and was everything I dreamt it to be. Perfect size, weight, readability..... Absolutely perfect. One problem...... I was scared to wear it. Not getting robbed, just damaging it. I could not live with wearing something that expensive. I then realised something about myself. I don't want to own anything that I can not replace reasonably quickly (except a house or car). I'm happier wearing a Seiko or Nomos or a Hamilton. The concept of a 'grail' watch has left me. I'm enjoying my hobby in a price bracket that matches my lifestyle and income (school teacher). Also, the pleasure I get from an Orient Bambino 38mm is pretty close to the pleasure received from a 'luxury' brand. This realisation (for me) has made this hobby more enjoyable. I'm not interested in trading up all the time.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Spent years tiptoeing my way to an Omega Globemaster. I wore it daily, but it lasted less than a year. It seemed like I existed for its benefit, not the other way round. Also the shade of blue wasn't quite deep enough. Now I've a got a nice light quartz Certina on my wrist most the time.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 12th May 2024 at 12:44.

Master
    In 2020 I got a 126660 James Cameron from WoS, Oxford Street. I loved it and still do but for reasons I don't fully understand (as well as security), I was hardly wearing it.
    It basically sat in the safe for 3 years until I sold it to a member here. The Cameron wasn't exactly my Grail watch, that was the Fifty Fathoms and I used the money from the Cameron to buy a 111 Luminor and a Fifty Fathoms, both of which have had more wear in 3 months than the Cameron had in 3 years.
    Grail watches can be tricky blighters it seems...

Grails for me always end up in one of two categories

1. Immediately underwhelmed
    2. Live up to the dream for a while then I fall in and out of love with it

They are only grails until you own them. I have owned several that I thought were grails, only to find something wrong with them once I had taken ownership. BPFFs is a good example, owned the Black in steel, Blue in titanium and and Blue in steel and sold all three although something tells me I want another, they are great watches and a class above the Subs and SDs in terms of build quality.

In recent times I have an urge to own a Milgauss. Like a lot of folks on here a classic 1019 would tick all the boxes. I did consider the 6 digit GV but couldn’t decide between the Z Blue or the Black dial. I went to a local secondhand dealership to have a look at the Z Blue in the flesh and even in the jewellers shop with a million spotlights it just looked dull and ordinary. In addition the bracelet was sized for a 12 year old and I could only get 4 fingers in, so didn’t even get to try it on. That quickly fell off the wants list. Based on that experience I wouldn’t buy the Black GV without seeing it first and hopefully being able to get it around my 7:25” wrist.

I’m down to one watch, a Daytona Ceramic White dial, which is my 6th Daytona, so don’t know what the future holds for that. Trade it in and add some cash to get a Day Date 40 or against a 1019 if one comes to the market and treat either of those as an exit grail watch or take a Milgauss GV or BPFF and some cash to reduce the amount tied up in a first world problem.

There you go, see how crazy it all is.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 12th May 2024 at 14:35.

Prs14
    Never could bare the plexi

Speedbird2
    It's just... I dunno....

SARB35
    I just can't wear white...

---
    BUBI
    @porque.racing

The thought of spending £4-5K on a watch was unfathomable and the Aqua Terra was the ultimate watch for me. It took me about 5 years to buy one. It immediately felt a bit thick. It still does. Sometimes it bothers me, it’s not a particularly comfortable watch, truth be told. I still love it but now I keep thinking the vertical stripes make the dial look like it was made from of a pin-stripe suit.

I recently picked up an IWC pilot and the aqua terra isn’t getting much love any more. Maybe it’s the novelty of the IWC but maybe the AT was never as great as I thought.

I need to give it a bit of time.

Not sure I've had a grail as such...if it's too expensive for me or hard to acquire I tend to not lust after a watch. I've been through many many watches, have never been disappointed, but got bored and flipped.

I've had some minor gripes though...got rid of a 2004 Navitimer because I couldn't stand the date change process of winding the watch back and forth between 12am and 8pm continually. I was also slightly irritated by the heft of the Milgauss GV.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    That's an excellent trio covering most/all the bases.

Master
    I had been through a couple of Rolex watches, DJ and YM, before i got my first diver, a DSSD in 2009 iirc. I still wanted a submariner, and picked up a LV the following year. After the DSSD it was a grave disappointment, the bracelet felt cheap and tinny, and the watch felt small on the wrist.
    Had I been able to tell the future I would have stuck it in the safe for ten years, but wisely I sold it.......

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    That's an excellent trio covering most/all the bases.
    I sold the Skywalker and it's one of the watches I miss the most.
    "A man of little significance"