closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A lovely incoming

Threaded View

A lovely incoming

The biggest selling Rolex isn't, as many believe, the Submariner. In fact it isn't a sports watch at all - it's the venerable Datejust. First released in 1947, this is the watch that - for most people - symbolises the brand, and before this week I'd already owned five different models. All of them were lovely, and I've missed having one in my collection for some time now.

The 1601 is one of the most classic of all, with it's plexi crystal, non-quickset date and open sixes and nines on the date wheel. This one, from 1970, will have been one of the first to house a hacking movement (a calibre 1575, even though it will almost certainly have 1570 stamped on the bridge); it also has a "wide-boy" non-luminous dial, which I absolutely love. I've actually had it for a few days now, and have worn it almost constantly with both a suit and with jeans. it manages to bridge the gap between dressy and casual completely effortlessly, and whist it's relatively small by todays standards at 36mm, it wears really well on my 6.75" wrist.

Condition-wise, it's about as minty as a 45 year old watch could be, and is keeping time within a few seconds a day. I've posted a few WTB's for a jubilee bracelet but to be honest it looks so nice on leather that I don't think I'll bother. Its wearing a Hirsch Regent alligator strap in these photos, and although I've tried a few others this is by far my favourite.

Last edited by learningtofly; 31st October 2015 at 20:14.