closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tequila

Hybrid View

Tequila

This is a drink that in the UK is associated with lemon, salt and Neurofen (of any variety!!) For anyone interested in a recommendation, I travel frequently to California and following a conversation with a Mexican friend, she suggested I try some high-end Tequila rather than the BBQ lighter stuff we get in the UK. There is a superb Mexican restaurant in Paso Robles, Fish Gaucho, with a large selection of Tequila and I tried most of the recommended types over a couple of evenings. The Casa Nobles Anejo is simply superb, very much like a smooth cognac with a tequila after-taste.

I may just be enjoying a small glass to celebrate my new (watch) arrival.
    Last edited by Skier; 10th July 2016 at 10:29.

I agree
    I purchased a bottle of patron last year
    It was smooth , you can drink it on its own
    I'm no expert but would like to try more types of 100% agave
    Andy

Journeyman
    Ive only tried a decent tequila once in germany at a posh bar. Never been able to find one like it over here. I sometimes buy sierra tequila and put strawberries in the bottle, chopped into quarters..it sucks all of the colour and flavour out and when they go pale after 3/4 days drink it served ice cold in a shot glass. Nice!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Tried the Casa Dragones in Miami the other month, was very interesting, I liked it, but the price made it the most expensive shots I have had the pleasure of consuming

Master
    I love tequila - one of the most underrated spirits in my opinion. It can get very expensive, very fast however.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    I love tequila - one of the most underrated spirits in my opinion. It can get very expensive, very fast however.
    Really? I always thought that, a bit like gin, you can get pretty good Tequila if you know what you are looking for, for relatively little money. But I have never tried any expensive tequila so maybe that is why. At uni my flatmate had loads of Mexican friends who always brought tequila around. I miss those days.

I have some good Tequila in my drinks cabinet in the office, it's significantly better than the rubbish you get in pubs.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    I had several shots of this at our work xmas party last week, very nice it was and has convinced me to have a bit more of a look at Tequila in general!

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post

Master
    I am looking on here:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-359.aspx

I enjoyed the Casa Noble but any other suggestions?

Craftsman
    "she suggested I try some"

That is magic word. Go for it.
    My best memories with tequila is that I bought first Gran Turismo for Playstation 1 with bottle of Tequila. I will always remember that I feld like shit even at 2200 next evening.

-OD

Just back from another work trip to California and was plied with a Don Julio 1942 - at $30 a shot in a restaurant! It is beautiful. Rather fortuitously the Duty Free shop at LAX just happened to sell it at $144 so I now have a bottle.

Last edited by Skier; 23rd October 2016 at 22:07.

I was taught whilst in the US on holiday to have a tequila with an orange wedge instead of the lemon/salt. Works for me.

Fish

I'm generally a whiskey fan and thought all tequila a bit rough and sulphur tasting but I tried lots of nice ones out in Canada which changed my mind. My favourite was Cabo Wabo Reposado but unfortunately I can't see any for sale in the UK.

I've tried a wide range of Mescal and Tequila when in Texas, but this is by far the best I have ever had. I've not seen it outside of Texas though, so good luck finding it.

http://www.tequilareviews.com/anejo/riazul/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    I'm generally a whiskey fan and thought all tequila a bit rough and sulphur tasting but I tried lots of nice ones out in Canada which changed my mind. My favourite was Cabo Wabo Reposado but unfortunately I can't see any for sale in the UK.
    I like the Cabo Wabo, too - I brought a bottle back with me from the US a couple of years ago, it didn't last long....

Thoroughly recommend this mix for Margarita - it's how they do it at Wahaca and is the business.

70 ml Tequila
    50 ml Agave Syrup
    30 ml Lime (freshly squeezed)

Shake very well and pour over crush ice. Try it, you'll not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Thoroughly recommend this mix for Margarita - it's how they do it at Wahaca and is the business.

70 ml Tequila
    50 ml Agave Syrup
    30 ml Lime (freshly squeezed)

Shake very well and pour over crush ice. Try it, you'll not regret it.
    That's a *very* sweet Tommy's Margarita (see post further back).

Likely to be half/half agave syrup and water.

I got a bottle of Cleo Rocos' Aqua Riva and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't know that she was a Tequila aficionado.

Talking

My margarita recipe - equal measures tequila, Cointreau, roses lime juice and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.......
    Half way through one now - should post on the "how much do I drink" thread.....

Good thread.

After a period of overindulgence when younger, I rather thought my tequila days were over, but then recently I was given a bottle of Legenda del Milagro Select Barrel Reserve.

This is a limited-edition 100% agave and comes in a spectacular bottle and packaging and I haven't yet been able to bring myself to open it.

I wonder if anyone knows this stuff and has any views on it and how best to enjoy it. I'm not a fan of orange based drinks or margaritas, and my previous experience is pretty much limited to slammers (with tonic), salt & lemon shots, and - ahem - snorting.

Last edited by DMC102; 14th July 2016 at 16:04.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Good thread.

After a period of overindulgence when younger, I rather thought my tequila days were over, but then recently I was given a bottle of Legenda del Milagro Select Barrel Reserve.

This is a limited-edition 100% agave and comes in a spectacular bottle and packaging and I haven't yet been able to bring myself to open it.

I wonder if anyone knows this stuff and has any views on it and how best to enjoy it. I'm not a fan of orange based drinks or margaritas, and my previous experience is pretty much limited to slammers (with tonic), salt & lemon shots, and - ahem - snorting.
    Put it in a tumbler and sip it like a fine Whisky/Cognac/Rum after a good meal. It doesn't need to be mixed with anything.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Put it in a tumbler and sip it like a fine Whisky/Cognac/Rum after a good meal. It doesn't need to be mixed with anything.
    I like mine straight like this, but it is also nice on the rocks with a slice of lime. I find that you lose very little of the flavour that way.

One traditional way to drink it is with a glass of Sangrita alongside, you take alternate sips of the tequila and the Sangrita.
    There are plenty of Sangrita recipes available on the net, I make a simple one with Orange Juice, Tomato Juice, Lime juice, grenadine and hot sauce.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I was recommended this by a barman in Scotland, its lovely IMO with or without ice. Already ordered another bottle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Montelobos-...rds=montelobos

With the news that George Clooney, Rande Gerber and Mike Meldman have just sold their tequila business (Casamigos) for $1bn I thought it an appropriate time to add to the thread. The Casamigos Anejo is superb, very smooth and is up there with other favourites.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40357768
    Last edited by Skier; 25th June 2017 at 20:20.

Earlier in friends garden. Special gift from Mexican naval attache. Individually numbered bottle.

Not bad too.

I may just have a small glass of this on the go right now; it's very good.

[IMG][/IMG]

Had a couple of measures of this last night, thought it to be quite light in initial flavour though it made up with a stronger finish.

Craftsman
    Not had a lot of Tequila but went to a bar in Bournemouth (Ojo Rojo) that serves lots of Mezcal.

Tasted lovely and we had a couple of shots after some beers. Didn’t think much of it but an hour later my face was on the table. The stuff absolutely killed me.

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Not had a lot of Tequila but went to a bar in Bournemouth (Ojo Rojo) that serves lots of Mezcal.

Tasted lovely and we had a couple of shots after some beers. Didn’t think much of it but an hour later my face was on the table. The stuff absolutely killed me.
    That, I believe, is Mezcal's only purpose. It's made from the leavings of the same agave plant that makes Tequila.. Tequila, using the good parts of the plant, is aged a bit and is the good stuff. Mind, I've never tried it. Never needed to get beyond single malt.

I used to work in a bar and we had a rep come round to do a tequila tasting with the bar staff. Even with the headache that followed it was still clear in my mind that I prefer good tequila to any other good spirits I've had.

I'm a fan of the Patron Anejo personally.