timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Any good New TV Series worth watching

Hybrid View

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Watching OA 'original angel ' on Netflix, bit weird but strangely compelling.
    just watched the whole series, I thought it was good in a kind of Donnie Darko kind of way, I expected a little more from the ending, but still good.

Goliath on Prime is very watchable. Billy Bob Thornton stars in a thriller cum courtroom series. Good ensemble cast, and well written.

Craftsman
    On episode four of 100 Code, quite enjoying it but I am a sucker for subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    just watched the whole series, I thought it was good in a kind of Donnie Darko kind of way, I expected a little more from the ending, but still good.
    We've just started this. It's a bit marmite, but Brit Marling is clearly quite a talent - she writes a lot of the stuff she's in. The movies she has done with Mike Cahill and Zal Batmanlij are all good, if a little baffling. I particularly liked Sound Of My Voice and I Origins - but I'm a bit of sucker for clever sci-fi.

Best not to expect any definite answers in any of her work.

+1 for The Expanse, Sense8 & Stranger Things. Orphan Black is under appreciated IMHO, just starting The OA, good first episode.
    Comedy wise I've recently finished the 5 seasons of Community that are on Netflix and loved it.
    Moved onto Brooklyn 99 and that's great too.

Anyone watched/watching "The Medici" on Netflix? Worth investing time with?

Finished 'Van Helsing' the other night and quite enjoyed it. Shades of 'The Strain' but not enough to compromise it. If you like 'Sens8' there is a new series next year but there is a Christmas Special coming on at some point today, keep an eye out!

is there anything you guys watch but the Mrs does not? I like 'Luke Cage' but have to watch it without the wife as she doesn't, 'Daredevil' she will suffer but only occasionally. Having said that, most things we both like and watch together.

Spiral (Engrenages) is a hugely underwatched show. French police drama - amazing. Decent grown up TV.

Grand Master
    Westworld is worth watching.

Also The Affair on sky box sets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    Spiral (Engrenages) is a hugely underwatched show. French police drama - amazing. Decent grown up TV.
    Caroline Proust who plays the lead Laure Berthaud, is bloody hot too.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency has just arrived on Netflix here. I haven't read the book (s?), it is as whacky as HHGG but a good deal darker. Strange to see 'Toby' from The West Wing and 'Frodo Baggins' in really different roles.

I just watched the Oa on netflix
    It kept me entertained for all episodes
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Narcos

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I just watched the Oa on netflix
    It kept me entertained for all episodes
    just got through four episodes this weekend, can highly recommend really enjoying it so far and not a clue where it's heading!

Craftsman
    Not quite a 'New' TV series, but Series 4 of Sherlock which finished on Sunday has been a bit crap. Feels like the writers are struggling a bit and they need to get back to the pre-Moriarty 'new-case-every-episode' style of the first two series, rather than trying to settle everyone down with marriage and kids.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency has just arrived on Netflix here. I haven't read the book (s?), it is as whacky as HHGG but a good deal darker. Strange to see 'Toby' from The West Wing and 'Frodo Baggins' in really different roles.
    I've only watched the first episode of this, so I'm holding judgement, but it doesn't seem to be sitting right with me. They're very difficult books to adapt IMO (as is HHGTTG), and I miss the narrator's commentary - which is the best bit of Douglas Adams' style. (Didn't really rate the BBC series, despite being a fan of Stephen Manghan).

I'll stick with it though.

It's a long time since I read the Dirk Gently books. but this is very much "inspired by" rather than an adaptation.

Master
    Just finished The Exorcist, surprisingly very good. Well worth a look if you like that kind of thing

Craftsman
    Watch a few episodes of The Wrong Mans over Christmas. Quite enjoyed it. Black comedy and an easy watch. Arguably a bit samey but alright for a quick laugh if you are looking to kill some time.

Master
    Just caught up with Shooter on Netflix, really good so far!

Craftsman
    Westworld
    The Night Manager

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Deep Water

Its an Australian Mini-Series, Crime Drama, only four episodes, but worthy of your time.

Blog Entries
    Been watching the OA on Netflix and after about 5 episodes I'm a bit meh about it. Might stick with it and see it to the end though.

Also been watching Van Helsing and again it's a bit meh.

Watching Shooter with my son and that isn't too bad - we are both enjoying that.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Been watching the OA on Netflix and after about 5 episodes I'm a bit meh about it. Might stick with it and see it to the end though.
    Just finished it, thought the same. There's something about this particular type of sci-fi that bothers me. I'm not sure if I'd class it as outright pseudo-sci-fi, but I'm not actually certain it can really be called sci-fi either. It walks a fine line between thought-provoking and lazy. What bothers me is that it seems to have some important things to say which, instead of actually saying them through the medium of a powerful drama, just kinda hints at them as if that makes it more "intelligent", which it doesn't.

It is at least an unusual story and not some instantly forgettable cookie-cutter rubbish, which definitely counts in its favour. It's mostly let down by not executing on some of its ideas well enough - not the sci-fi aspects so much as the more fundamental dramatic aspects like Prairie's relationship with her parents and the back stories of the other characters. Some of the acting is very good though, especially Phyllis "I'm eating a sandwich" Smith.
    Last edited by robt; 13th January 2017 at 17:44.

+1 for Taboo, good so far.
    Should be available on either BBC iPlayer if you can VPN to the UK, or via FX who are showing it in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by jchlu View Post
    +1 for Taboo, good so far.
    Should be available on either BBC iPlayer if you can VPN to the UK, or via FX who are showing it in the US.

Blog Entries
    Finished Better Call Saul S1 & S2 over the past few weeks - thoroughly enjoyed it, perhaps even more so than BB, which is saying something!

I'll join the choir wrt Taboo. I don't normally like stuff set in the 19th century, as it can end up being a bit twee, but definitely not Taboo - cracking stuff. Grimey and dark.

Not convinced by The Night Manager, can't see why all the awards. Hugh Laurie was in fine form but overall it lacked some suspense in parts. Taboo on the list now.

Journeyman
    Unbelievably I have only just started Homeland, seems good so far.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Another vote for Shooter, really enjoyable. Also Roadies is well worth a look if you liked Almost Famous!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Another vote for Shooter, really enjoyable. Also Roadies is well worth a look if you liked Almost Famous!
    +1 for Roadies really enjoyed it.

Journeyman
    +1 for shooter. Very much the same as the film to start with but the story evolves, roll on Wednesday for the next episode!

Master
    I think Shooter is done for this season

Journeyman
    Oh no really?! Off to check Netflix......

Journeyman
    Damn it zanderpants you're right!

Craftsman
    House of Cards?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I'm quite enjoying Taboo. It's all pretty daft if I'm honest but the grimy period location and good turns by Tom Hardy, Jonathan Pryce and Stephen Graham amongst others makes it very watchable.

First episode of the current Homeland was a bit slow IMHO and I'm not very excited about the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I'm quite enjoying Taboo. It's all pretty daft if I'm honest but the grimy period location and good turns by Tom Hardy, Jonathan Pryce and Stephen Graham amongst others makes it very watchable.

First episode of the current Homeland was a bit slow IMHO and I'm not very excited about the next.
    Completely agree Homeland was a bit slow and predictable. Hopeful that it sets it up nicely for a good season.

Taboo is in a different class. Really excellent, great locations, suspenseful dark atmosphere.

Master
    Nearly finished season 2 of Bosch its very entertaining, season 3 due soon as well as Better call Saul S3.

Journeyman
    Not sure if it has been mentioned previously over the dozen or so pages but there was a Norwegian series called Occupied on sky arts of all channels last year. It was based on the premise that in the near future Norway has become the main supplier of oil to Europe due to the end of the desert states supply so Russia invades peacefully and try's to force Norway to restart oil production instead of clean renewable energy. It's a cross between 24, house of cards and homeland. A lot of it is in English anyway s Norwegian s can speak it better than us. Highly recommended and I think a second series is on the cards.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post
    House of Cards?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    I assume you mean the original 1990s version with Ian Richardson. Superb.

Master
    I am up to date with Power, a show that actually gets better as it goes along. Not amazing but well worth a look in my view

Craftsman
    I am up to date with Power, a show that actually gets better as it goes along. Not amazing but well worth a look in my view

Thanks, I will stick with it.
    Figured it is one of those shows that will keep me entertained until 24 / Prison Break / Game of Thrones come out.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    I have just started watching Power.

Anyone else further in to this series? So far its looking good.

Me too, worth sticking it out.

Master
    Just a note that Black Sails is back for it's 4th and final season, currently on Amazon Prime.
    Vikings is just finishing it's 4th season.

Anybody got any comments on black mirror, looking for something to watch and this was recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Anybody got any comments on black mirror, looking for something to watch and this was recommended.
    Fantastic! Oriiginal, expertly written and brilliantly done. Each episode a look at a dystopian near-future, based on our world of today - reality TV, obsession with Facebook 'likes', video games, etc., which leaves you feeling a little uneasy at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Give yourself some time after each episode to go weep in a corner and reflect on the depressing state the show leaves you in. It is good, but saying the show is bleak is an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Fantastic! Oriiginal, expertly written and brilliantly done. Each episode a look at a dystopian near-future, based on our world of today - reality TV, obsession with Facebook 'likes', video games, etc., which leaves you feeling a little uneasy at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Give yourself some time after each episode to go weep in a corner and reflect on the depressing state the show leaves you in. It is good, but saying the show is bleak is an understatement.
    Just watched the first episode with the kids and it had us laughing in places and bewildered for the most. Sort of enjoyed the uneasiness in a perverted sort of way, might watch the next tonight.