closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: serial flipperitis

I thought I had a problem until I opened this thread!

Now I don't know whether to feel smug about the limited number of watches that I've flipped or afraid for what the future holds?!

Probably about 100 since I joined here 10 years ago, currently own 5.

Whoaa, im still a noob then with 10 watches.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Well over 200.
    I've settled down massively recently, built up a lovely collection of Seiko and even a few Swiss goodies.
    Sadly most of my flips were essential which is a horrible position to be in, but a little more stable these days financially.
    I can advise a separate bank account for your "watch flow".
    No money, no watch.
    It works for me. You sell some, you buy some, you lose a little, you win a little.
    But you should keep it separate from all other financial responsibilities. IMHO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Not been here long, but probably 40 in last 3 - 4 years. Most come and go very quickly. Some are bought 2 - 3 times. A lucky few stay the course.

Should add ... Most not bought / sold through SC, and almost all sold for a loss, in some cases quite significant losses.
    Im genuinely curious, why buy/sell the same watch on multiple occasions? I think I can understand short term ownership (I would love to be able to afford to change car every few months) but I don't get the flipping of the same watch.

I've sold 3 watches.
    An Aquatimer that I thought would fit me but ended up being too big.
    Also a Dornblüth that I hadn't used for a number of years, don't know why I sold it and looking back it was properly a mistake.
    And finally a Linde Werdelin just because I wanted something else.

Unfortunately the Dornblüth and the LW won't be that easily replaced, I really should plan better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchesRmypassion View Post
    No money, no watch.
    It works for me. You sell some, you buy some, you lose a little, you win a little.
    But you should keep it separate from all other financial responsibilities. IMHO.
    yep I do this too. Just keeps everything in check.

At a guess, I would estimate approximately 8-9 per year

Quote Originally Posted by WatchesRmypassion View Post
    No money, no watch.
    This.
    I've got a watch account.
    If I fancy, say, a jumper in a shop which is a realistic purchase for me I ask myself if I'd rather have a watch. If I would then I note the price of the jumper and put the cash into the watch account.
    Similarly if for whatever reason I miss a night out I'd like to go on I stick 50 or so quid in there.
    I reckon I whack a bit of money I'm there - anything from a tenner to 100 quid or so, three or four times a month.
    It's amazing how quickly it adds up to a reasonable new watch and I never spend any money that isn't disposable income on the hobby.
    It's about the only responsible thing I do in my whole life!

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    At least 20-30 a year. All sold with a loss. Sickening, so I try not to think about it...
    Sadly, I'm in the same boat. What I've spent in insured shipping annually...eek.

Trying to stop.

I've accumulated a very good collection of about 100 Seiko's. I've only sold 3.
    I do need to have a cull of some of my older purchases some time.

Master
    Chaps

I love flippers, I really, really and I mean really love them. They buy high, keep it for a short time and sell at a loss and the rest of us pick up the bargains.

Long may they live.

Regards

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Chaps I love flippers, I really, really and I mean really love them. They buy high, keep it for a short time and sell at a loss and the rest of us pick up the bargains. Long may they live. Regards Mick
    This ;)

My Avenger Skyland was a prime example of this. By the time I snagged it on SC it had been through 2 or 3 people's hands in a matter of months, all of whom appeared to have lost money on the transactions. The result is that I ended up with a Breitling that was less than a year old, effectively as new condition and a full set for around 45% of the new rrp. Happy days.

Simon

Ive bought and sold 9 watches since 2012. Purely a consequence of my tastes changing, and the decision to limit myself to a small number of watches. I only own 4, not counting the none-runners and stuff in drawers which I don't think of as part of my collection. Any more would just sit in a box and add to servicing costs.

Of the four I own now, two can never be sold (an engagement present, and the watch I got married in), so there will be little to no flipping happening in the future. Only thing I can imagine is my PRS-29 and G10 going towards the deposit on a big purchase on credit at some point further down the line.

I haven't made money on any of the watches I've sold. Many were sold for about half the price I paid.
    Last edited by seikokiller; 25th January 2016 at 14:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post

I haven't made money on any of the watches I've sold. Many were sold for about half the price I paid.
    Well let me know next time you're selling one!

Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    Well let me know next time you're selling one!
    I don't own or sell anything high end anyway, so it's not as if I'm losing a lot of money.

When I started using sales corner I used the old "I only want back what I paid for it" line, because that's what everyone else seemed to be doing, but I've since come to the conclusion this is an unreasonable expectation. Unless the watch is leaving me unworn, in the same condition as when I bought it, or it's a vintage watch which has kind of found its bottom price, I should take a considerable hit for depreciation and wear and tear. On a new watch for example, if I've owned it for a couple of years, 50% seems about right.

I managed to get some cream for it on the NHS

Only moved three on, its a real drama selling, you never seem to take the right detailed photo, at the right angle, in the right light, bombarded with questions on the smallest missed detail in your ad, and then the haggling over tiny amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by windows95 View Post
    Only moved three on, its a real drama selling, you never seem to take the right detailed photo, at the right angle, in the right light, bombarded with questions on the smallest missed detail in your ad, and then the haggling over tiny amounts.
    I know, people wanting to know what they're buying. How unreasonable...

Simon

When I've sold watches (on other forums) I usually post about sixteen photos taken in good daylight covering every angle I can think of. 4 of the case front from the corners, 4 of the case back ditto, 2 of the strap, 2 of the crystal, 2 of the sides and, before all the others, 2 of it actually looking nice. Since I've got access to the SC I've been a bit surprised by how few photos some people include. (Also surprised at insistence on PayPal gift, but that's another matter.)

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    When I've sold watches (on other forums) I usually post about sixteen photos taken in good daylight covering every angle I can think of. 4 of the case front from the corners, 4 of the case back ditto, 2 of the strap, 2 of the crystal, 2 of the sides and, before all the others, 2 of it actually looking nice. Since I've got access to the SC I've been a bit surprised by how few photos some people include. (Also surprised at insistence on PayPal gift, but that's another matter.)
    The more pictures the better I say, but things are probably a bit slacker here in that regard because most people expect that they can trust sellers descriptions, and if they felt something was not as described, they trust the seller would do the right thing and accept a return. PayPal gift again comes down to the fact that most feel this is a place where they can trust the people they're dealing with.

This might all be a bit naive but, by and large, there are very few people getting ripped off here, and I think this goes some way to explaining why some members are so protective of sales corner when it come to people who are not otherwise part of the community, and may just be here to profiteer. To the people for whom this forum is just a marketplace with no overheads, that level of trust might not apply.

Thanks for your judgement, didnt have a post of your own? Its not always easy to create a great for sale post, you might not be handy with a camera, or have all the right information.