closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New arrival: Steinhart

Journeyman

New arrival: Steinhart

Bought this one, this week. Secondhand from december 2015.

It has 2 Leather straps original Steinhart en the original metal bracelet.

My first Steinhart, and its a very good price/quality watch.

Looking good,excellent value

Master
    Congratulations - they are great watches but the bracelet is too big for my tiny wrists.

It does look fantastic on a NATO though :)

Master
    Steinhart offer great value for money, I sold mine but wish I had kept it. Enjoy!

Same here, mine arrived last Saturday. Lovely watch for a very good price in my opinion and after a few days on the wrist the quality seems very, very good.

Craftsman

Seinhart

I bought an Ocean one red, really didn't like the "Grey" dial so sold it on, why did they change it from black dial?(still shown on their website btw) now have Ocean one black so happier again! Cheers, JohnB4

Craftsman
    Great watches that offer incredible value for money - I've two (OVM & GMT), and they sit comfortably among more recognised pieces in my collection including a couple of Rolex divers. Can't say enough good things about them!

Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    Great watches that offer incredible value for money - I've two (OVM & GMT), and they sit comfortably among more recognised pieces in my collection including a couple of Rolex divers. Can't say enough good things about them!
    i have the mk1 on bracelet (don't have large wrists particularly and it's fine) black face, bought it from here on SC and wear to work every day. Same movement as my old TAG as well and half the cost that was when I bought it in the 90's.

Yep some don't like the homage thing but I don't really care , IMHO they are well made for the price, wear well with a nice subtle look...

love mine and will be kept to wear daily when I get others later to wear weekends/evenings etc...

enjoy it...

Journeyman
    It's amazing the quality of product Steinhart can produce for the price they charge. Just picked up this beauty:

I'd go for an OVM in a second if they offered it without the faux patina.
    Last edited by Foodle; 24th January 2016 at 21:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
    It's amazing the quality of product Steinhart can produce for the price they charge. Just picked up this beauty:

There was a mk1 black face on here last week, only for a day as was £250 and a bargain.... Still with patina markers of course but the black not quite as vintage looking ... I also like the vintage red but wish they would remove the word vintage off it.....

Love that new Ti ocean it's amazing for the price....keeps distracting my piggy bank for something more expensive when they come out with these...

Master
    Nice one, Thijs 👍.

Up to 30 posts already, be careful my boy 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Foodle View Post

That's a beautiful watch. I just got the vintage gtm a week or so ago as my first steinhart and it can put to shame some older and more expensive swiss companies.

Edit: before the pic or it didnt happen part

Quote Originally Posted by ante View Post
    That's a beautiful watch. I just got the vintage gtm a week or so ago as my first steinhart and it can put to shame some older and more expensive swiss companies.
    I don't think any older or more expensive companies that allegedly it can put to shame make any 'GTM ' watches.

Thanks for the correction, I have auto correct off on my phone.
    Or are you suggesting that I dont know how to spell GMT? :)

Steinhart makes decent copycat watches.
    As to putting older and more expensive watches to shame- I can only laugh.

I've had a hydroconquest that is about double the retail price of this steinhart and definitely not double the watch.

I'm not talking about high class swiss stuff (but this does have a higher quality clasp than any rolex i tried. Their clasps look and feel like they are made from recycled tuna cans)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ante View Post
    I'm not talking about high class swiss stuff (but this does have a higher quality clasp than any rolex i tried. Their clasps look and feel like they are made from recycled tuna cans)
    Older Rolex clasps didn't feel particularly high quality, but they were sturdy. However, the new Rolex clasps are amazing both in feel and function.

... but this is a Steinhart thread. The Steinhart clasps seems to be the same or similar to what a lot of mid-tier (think Tutima, Fortis, etc.) use. They are reasonably sturdy and well made, but nothing particularly special.
    Last edited by Foodle; 26th January 2016 at 01:53.

I wouldnt know about the latest clasps, i've only tried 5 digit references (sub and sd) and they felt 'meh'.

But I agree, lets get back on the subject, we got sidetracked.
    Last edited by ante; 26th January 2016 at 01:56. Reason: Back on topic

Goed gedaan, Thijs!

Veel draagplezier!

Master
    I really liked my Steinhart OVM1 and do miss it at times. I'm contemplating the titanium one as it remedies one of only 2 gripes i had with my OVM1. The watch head was too heavy and the engraving on the back was so sharp it actually shaved the hair off that part of my wrist.

I agree about the value for money. I went and tried on a Tudor Black Bay yesterday. I really do fancy one of those and certain elements, especially the clasp, are better than i've seen with Steinhart but it niggles me that essentially the same materials and movement costs almost £2k more because of.... well, heritage mainly I guess.

My feeling is that Steinhart make very good watches at their price point. They are clearly not an alternative to higher-end brands, nor would you expect them to be, but for the money I think they're great.

I own two, one of which I love and the other I really like (notice the subtle distinction there?). The one I love is my Marine Chronometer II (now renamed simply Marine Chronometer on their website, I notice). My photo doesn't do it justice, but the dial/hands/crystal really make it stand out. As my taste runs to big divers in the main it's interesting that this one won me over, but it really has...

The other Steinhart in my collection is the Ocean 44, the DSSD lookey-likey. Perhaps that's why I like it rather than love it - because it's a direct homage to an existing design (and the only Rolex I might actually aspire to own). Nevertheless it's a good watch... well-built, comfortable, good bracelet and the sapphire bezel is a nice talking point and well-executed.

Both are very good timekeepers, although in truth I rarely wear the same watch 2 days running anyway.

Simon

Personally, I couldn't really warm to my Ocean Black.

There was nothing wrong at all with the watch, but for me, it's too overtly a 'Sub'-alike (although you can't buy a DLC Rolex, so I guess it fills a gap in the market) and whilst (or maybe because) I don't want a Sub, the idea of wearing such an obvious homage rankled me a bit (there's no logic, I'll wear my Paner-like without any such qualms and the Steinhart was undoubtedly the better watch, maybe that was part of the problem...) and I have two other black watches that I liked better.

On the other hand, I do really like my Apollon, which makes no pretence of being anything else as far as I'm aware (although someone will probably post something I was unaware of to prove me wrong!).

For the money, they're very good watches, I think as good, but cheaper than, CWs last gen C60s, but maybe not quite a match (but much cheaper than!) the latest.

Whether the obvious Rolex similarities are an issue will be a very personal matter.

M

Steinhart make excellent Watches, I have four and I am soon to have a fifth.
    I am not easy to please.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    Nice one, Thijs 👍.

Up to 30 posts already, be careful my boy 😉
    Would they remove me???

Journeyman
    I've had one for 4 yrs. Great sub looks for ~1/20th price of a Rolex Sub.

Journeyman
    Anyone in a position to comment on the Soprod movement versions from Steinhart? How do they compare accuracy wise with the ETA versions?

Quote Originally Posted by amcgrath View Post
    Anyone in a position to comment on the Soprod movement versions from Steinhart? How do they compare accuracy wise with the ETA versions?
    Can't help you there, both mine are ETAs..

Journeyman
    Anyone know the approximate lead time for ordering the Ocean One Vintage Red? I'm liking the lume colour more than the OVM

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Anyone know the approximate lead time for ordering the Ocean One Vintage Red? I'm liking the lume colour more than the OVM
    Looks like they are in stock on their website so shouldn't take too long; from memory they were reasonably prompt in dispatching and DHL delivered it a few days later

Journeyman
    Thanks, researching straps to go with the prospective purchase now!

Craftsman
    Many of the designs are clearly homage, but as I doubt I will ever be affording a vintage 1655 the GMT did nicely for me. I had a couple of Ocean Ones as well because they are great for diving but seem a little smaller than my SKX that I used for a while.

I would get the titanium tomorrow which i think looks a great watch but am concerned that the ceramic bezel could get easily damaged when wreck diving. I assume it costs a fortune to replace as well?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by therooster View Post
    I would get the titanium tomorrow which i think looks a great watch but am concerned that the ceramic bezel could get easily damaged when wreck diving. I assume it costs a fortune to replace as well?

The ceramic bezels are 45 euros on the Steinhart website, although the one for the titanium diver isn't listed but I can't imagine the price would vary by much.

jim

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    The ceramic bezels are 45 euros on the Steinhart website, although the one for the titanium diver isn't listed but I can't imagine the price would vary by much.

jim
    Aha, thanks Jim for letting me know. That probably makes them a bit more viable. I do really like the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Steinhart makes decent copycat watches.
    As to putting older and more expensive watches to shame- I can only laugh.
    Laugh all you want. I have a Steinhart Ocean Blue and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Next to my Sub LV it is in no way put to shame.

Journeyman

Steinhart OVM MK1 (The original dial)
    One of my favourite watches.

Has any one tried a Steinhart mesh bracelet? Keep meaning to get one

I rarely wear mine on the bracelet NATO all the way.

Apprentice
    Nice - I've fallen for a Green Ocean Once, I may have to pick it up for the price its going for!

Journeyman
    Great looking watches and fantastic value. My OOBlack is a solid performer, keeps time well. My bracelet is starting to show a couple signs of wear (stratches) on the fastener after being worn nearly everyday for 5 years, other than that very tidy.

Is anyone able to compare the lume brightness between the vintage and standard models?

One of my all-time favourite watches and the first watch I ever bought from SC is the Aviation. I had the original and, for me, the best variant; no date and manual wind. It was it's own watch, not trying to be something else. It was built like a tank and ran flawlessly. If I could find another of this variant I'd happily buy it.

Journeyman
    Got the 'Red this morning, very good build quality which can be an everyday watch. Looking at leather nato straps to compliment it now..

I bought a vintage military Mark 1 off SC then flipped it. I sort of regret that now and I am keeping an eye out for the next one up for sale. I also like the Steinhart vintage that looks like a 1950s Submariner and will show interest if anyone lists one of those. However, the image below lifted from Google shows that it is actually a bit bigger that the military watch.

uploading pictures

how to use print screen

Master
    Another brand I know little about, but isn't the 'Mercedes' hand a bit blatant? I mean, really.......

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Another brand I know little about, but isn't the 'Mercedes' hand a bit blatant? I mean, really.......
    Some people have a problem with Steinhart for making, as you say, such 'blatant' homages. I rather like them: there's certainly no doubt about where their inspiration comes from!

Check out the range, double red, hulk, GMT, vintage milsub and 50s Submariner - quite a range.

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch.html

The quality of these watches for the price is extremely good.

Master
    On my wrist today;

A great little bit of kit and not so costly that you're precious about it.

Granted, their Ocean 1 range are homages to various vintage Rolex models. They are however slightly larger (42mm) and tremendous value for money.

Quality wise they are on a par with far more expensive watches.

They do have their own line as well, with some pretty nice watches.

Master
    Agreed. I bet Invicta are blazing mad.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Granted, their Ocean 1 range are homages to various vintage Rolex models. They are however slightly larger (42mm) . . .
    This is the problem for me. I also have the OVM MkI and it is just too big for my skinny wrists. I enjoy looking at it but that's not really the point!

Journeyman
    They also seem to hold their value well too, well at least according to recent eBay sales anyhow..