closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex worship

Apprentice

Rolex worship

I am a new member on here and am staggered at the number of posts that are Rolex related...it seems that there is huge boas to this brand, almost bordering on reverence.

There are so many other brands out there that IMHO, are just as good if not better than the Rolex brand. Are the masses just following and falling for the marketing hype, with the belief that they are buying an investment?? Or is it a lifestyle choice for the army of devotees.

No offence intended to anyone and this is just my personal observation.

Feel free to educate me on why it should be Rolex, Rolex, Rolex.

Master
    It's not Rolex, Rolex, Rolex! It's Rolex, Rolex, Grand Seiko, Rolex thank you very much.

Sometimes when no one is looking omega gets mentioned but it's normally late at night and posted in error.

Thank you for a very engaging and informative post. Am really amazed by your astute observation and the measured tone of your post. Hopefully, you will continue to delight us with such Sterling contributions for a long time.

Master
    Milton Heywood posted some information recently, which show d how Rolex utterly dominates sales of high-end watches. I recollect that the top twenty best sellers were all Rolex models. Without Rolex there would perhaps be no viable mechanical watch industry.
    The reason is actually simple...they are seen as offering the best watches at their price points. Consumers are not stupid, neither are they blind followers of advertising.
    If a rival comes to threaten this dominance, then good. That would be healthy. But my own, limited, experience is that they probably do make the best watches at a given price. But it's not my opinion that counts...it's the opinion of real-world buyers, spending their hard earned cash. And they vote for Rolex. Fact.
    Last edited by paskinner; 21st February 2016 at 14:37.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Thank you for a very engaging and informative post. Am really amazed by your astute observation and the measured tone of your post. Hopefully, you will continue to delight us with such Sterling contributions for a long time.
    +1 on that.

mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by olazz View Post
    Feel free to educate me on why it should be Rolex, Rolex, Rolex.
    Why?
    You seem to have formed a negative opinion on the brand and its buyers.
    So, if you don't like their products don't buy one, choose something else.

As I see it, if anyone needs convincing to buy into any luxury brand, they shouldn't buy into it.
    It should be your choice to enjoy, buying in on the word of others smacks of needing approval / acceptance, which is a weak character trait IMO

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    +1 on that.

mike
    Thanks guys I'll do my best to try and entertain.

Craftsman
    I think there is a reason that Rolex are so popular, though.

Classic, iconic designs, highly accurate movements, decent new and aftersales service and supportability through their (admittedly tight) spares supply chain - even of watches which are decades old.

Very high quality timepieces that look great and are build to last - what's not to like?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Why?
    You seem to have formed a negative opinion on the brand and its buyers.
    So, if you don't like their products don't buy one, choose something else.

As I see it, if anyone needs convincing to buy into any luxury brand, they shouldn't buy into it.
    It should be your choice to enjoy, buying in on the word of others smacks of needing approval / acceptance, which is a weak character trait IMO
    I think you misunderstood. I don't need convincing to buy a Rolex, or any other brand, I was enquiring why itere are so many posts about Rolex. From the defensive responses so far, it's obviously a sore point for some.

Master
    Simple
    Rolex, best selling luxury watch by a great margin
    This is watch talk, so a high proportion of chatter will be about the most popular brand.

Rolex worship

I see the answer as a pretty simple one - there are so many posts on Rolex due to the appreciation of the brand(?).
    Personally, I craved a Rolex for many years as it is the watch I remember from my youth. Add in the brand heritage, iconic designs, desirability and (relatively speaking) low depreciation values. They are also a fairly obtainable luxury item, which means they have mass market appeal.

Maybe they just make;

A) a lot of watches
    B) very good watches

I'm no fanboy but am an owner of Rolex amongst other brands.

Someone posted the other day what Rolex is to collectors; early days, they're the holy grail, the ultimate watch, the best, most expensive etc. Then it's all about the marketing, the bull, the idiot newbies and their Subs, they're everywhere, time for other brands and some hating on the brand. Seems to fit quite often.

Eventually you see them for what they are; really rather good, versatile watches.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Milton Heywood
    That guy doesn't know a damn thing.

Haywood Milton on the other hand knows his coronet-shaped onions...

Master
    The glorious thing of course is that everyone can buy what they want....assuming a big enough wallet. There is massive choice. Something for everyone, and some of it well priced. Damasks would be just one example. Or, far cheaper, a nice Seiko. No need for anyone to miss out on a decent watch at any price point.
    Which has to be good, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by olazz View Post
    From the defensive responses so far, it's obviously a sore point for some.
    Ah, you've given yourself away. Wind up post.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post

Half Term.

Master
    But if I wind up my Rolex, rather than letting the perpetual rotor do it for me, won't the R-Police come and confiscate it for improper use?

Feel free to educate you? Errr... no.

Apprentice
    Nothing to give away I'm afraid, as this is not a wind up post at all. Genuine question that I expected to get some debate on. I do infact own a Rolex so not Rolex bashing in any way, as Nunya pointed out... this is watch Talk

Mid range sales are dominated by Rolex.

Forum with emphasis on mid range is dominated by the watches worn.

I'm not sure I see any equivalent watches denigrated merely for being Rolex's competition. I think what you're seeing is just the reality of the market.

Let us not feed......

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wear a Rolex so I can show other people I am wealthier than them. It became tiresome to keep pulling out my bank statement to show strangers so I find this a far more convienient way of doing so.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Feel free to educate you? Errr... no.
    No sweat boet !

I own many a watch, and i love them all for all their idiosyncrasies, but take it from a watch appreciator of the cheap to expensive, Rolex make a magnificent wrist watch.

They do not add the fabled extra half inch to your pecker, or make you more appealing to the fairer sex. If it did, dump her or him, they are far too shallow to understand the true meaning of quality.

At the end of the day, i have 3 Rolexes now, and each one keeps marvellous time.

My Explorer is the true testament to watch making- mechanical construction, constant +2 seconds a day, tested in more positions than the poor timegrapher was designed for. On top of that, a steady + 0.1/0.2 milliseconds beat error under the duress of the aforementioned positional testing.

They are most deserving of their global position in the wrist watch world. (along with many other brands)

Apprentice
    Let us not feed......
    Yawn, yawn.... predictable

Master
    It's an iconic brand with prestige and history and they do make very good watches of course but yes, you do buy the name. I like them to Fender or Gibson in the guitar world - they have a certain classic mystique and their contribution to the history and development of the electric guitar is undeniable, but they don't actually make the best guitars.

That guy doesn't know a damn thing.

Haywood Milton on the other hand knows his coronet-shaped onions...
    On the contrary, I've found him quite knowledgeable. And what he doesn't know, his best friend Maywood Hilton, does. If we could get those three guys in one room - Heywood, Hilton and Milton - well it boggles the mind.

That's because, the best most accessible guitar is a Maton ;)

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    On the contrary, I've found him quite knowledgeable. And what he doesn't know, his best friend Maywood Hilton, does. If we could get those three guys in one room - Heywood, Hilton and Milton - well it boggles the mind.
    I doubt if all three combined could rival the knowledge of Heyton Milwood.

Who mentioned Hilton - now there is a high end watch company...

Image taken from my extensive collection of watches named after me - well just the one actually.

photo share

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    It's not Rolex, Rolex, Rolex! It's Rolex, Rolex, Grand Seiko, Rolex thank you very much.
    So its vintage rolex and modern GS? :)

Popcorn, anyone?

Master
    I bought one a few weeks back. Iconic brand, they make their own movements and I can read the date without resorting to my glasses. Accurate too. What's not to like?

Master
    Sorry, 'Haywood Milton' it is. First person I have ever come across called 'Haywood'. Very rare name indeed.Now, 'Milton' , plenty of those about.....

Back to Rolex, Is there any other commercial activity where one brand holds so much of the market? Can't think of one offhand.
    Last edited by paskinner; 21st February 2016 at 16:03.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I wear a Rolex so I can show other people I am wealthier than them. It became tiresome to keep pulling out my bank statement to show strangers so I find this a far more convienient way of doing so.
    And far more socially acceptable than showing off that diamond-studded merkin of yours. :-)

SGR

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You know, I never noticed this, but if you put a T in front of Rolex...

Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    How did this thread suddenly switch to The Travelling Wilburys?

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    You know, I never noticed this, but if you put a T in front of Rolex...

Just sayin'
    Brilliant!

Welcome to the forum OP. Please introduce yourself and tell us about your watch collection and history and we'll tell you all about the Rolx Cellini range.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Welcome to the forum OP. Please introduce yourself and tell us about your watch collection and history and we'll tell you all about the Rolx Cellini range.
    Allegedly, he owns JLC Master Conpressor with Alarm,PO Blue and an unspecified Omega.
    That was as per his original thread. On this thread, he says he also owns a Rolex.
    So, he has a few watches. Ahem...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Thank you for the welcome Tony.

Grand Master
    Not Rolex worship really.

I think we all respect each other's likes and dislikes,and we will never convince anyone else to like what we like no matter how long you try......well almost.

I like Rolex,but NOT all Rolex have to offer,and that can be applied to all other brands available to us.

I have my 5513,CWC G10,and just bought this afternoon yet another 1601 and a Rotary!,yes Rotary but a nice one IMO,Rotary super 25.

Allegedly, he owns JLC Master Conpressor with Alarm,PO Blue and an unspecified Omega.
    That was as per his original thread. On this thread, he says he also owns a Rolex.
    I need to get a new cassette for my Commodore 64- I still can't see those comments!

Apprentice

You've got to try harder than that boet. Enjoy your Sunday.

When you get bored here will you go on a car forum and ask why it's Porsche, Porsche, Porsche or a camera forum and ask why it's Leica, Leica, Leica or a guitar forum and ask why it's Fender, Fender, Fender? Or have you already done that?

Kan jy asseblief ophou om 'n knop?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    When you get bored here will you go on a car forum and ask why it's Porsche, Porsche, Porsche or a camera forum and ask why it's Leica, Leica, Leica or a guitar forum and ask why it's Fender, Fender, Fender? Or have you already done that?
    Welcome to you too !

Olazz, itīs very conservative( small c) around here so donīt go upsetting the apple cart They like their Rolex.

Im glad nobody took the bait and reacted :)