closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Keeper?

Keeper?

I'd be interested in your collective thoughts on my Omega GMT. Had from new, recently serviced and wear it very occasionally.

I love the watch, but not sure how desirable it is and whether it might be wise to keep hold of it?

If you like it, keep it, it's that simple. Is there anything nicer or more interesting for what's it's worth? Very possibly not, the 'Great White' Seamaster is a very cool piece and quite rare.

If you've had it a while you may even have made some money but it's probably not an investement piece. Although who knows!

I'd love one - currently don't have a modern Omega, this might do it...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post

I'd be interested in your collective thoughts on my Omega GMT. Had from new, recently serviced and wear it very occasionally.

I love the watch, but not sure how desirable it is and whether it might be wise to keep hold of it?
    If you love the watch, isn't that all that matters?
    Ultimately, if you have an itch for something else that won't go away and flipping the Omega will help you achieve this, then it might be wise to ship it out.
    If it was mine, then definitely a keeper. I love it.

Master
    If you love the watch that's all that matters and not whether it's desirable or not by others. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;-)

who knows, but if you don't wear it, I'd be inclined to mothball it rather than sell......when I was researching these there was always roughly £150-£250 premium over the black dial version. Lovely looking watch, hard to find, and you know the full history.

I like it, and if it were mine I'd definitely be keeping it!

Not taking anything away from a standard SMP, but I find this more interesting with its white dial and fancy bezel

Craftsman
    as many already said, no one can answer for you. If you like it, it's a keeper, otherwise...

That's a classic and increasingly hard to find. If you decide it's not a keeper, I'll be happy to take it off your hands!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    If you like it, keep it, it's that simple. Is there anything nicer or more interesting for what's it's worth? Very possibly not, the 'Great White' Seamaster is a very cool piece and quite rare.

If you've had it a while you may even have made some money but it's probably not an investement piece. Although who knows!

I'd love one - currently don't have a modern Omega, this might do it...
    My exact thoughts when looking at the post/picture!

Stealth.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Stealth.
    Forum police? Bully?

Thanks for the replies, always good to hear the opinion of others, especially when it confirms your own thoughts.

Sporting the GMT today.

Craftsman
    The right answer has been mentioned several times, if you like it, keep it

Since you asked for our opinion i would say that i do not like it, which is kind of strange since i really like the Explorer 2 Polar version. I think its the straight lines on the bezel combined with the big hands and the straight markers on the dial. Not sure, but there is something really off about this watch. Rolex EXP 2 polar got it right.

Forum police? Bully?
    Pot kettle?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Pot kettle?
    Review my answer to the OP.

Review my answer to the OP.
    I fully agree with your comments its a lovely piece, and I wouldn't be too surprised if it sells via a PM.
    Enjoy the day DB.

Master
    I really like the sword hand SMPs - I've got the SMP 2264 Quartz version. On the SMP Great White the hand and dial are both stylish and practical, with great lume; the white dial is unusual and attractive and the bezel is rather more attractive than the half-black-half-white version used on the black dial SMP GMT.

If you compare the Omega Great White to the white dial Rolex Explorer II you can add the differentiator of the turnable bezel that the Rolex lacks. I've got the Rolex 16710 GMT II, and love it; it's a real little jewel of a watch with exquisite form, but the SMP GMT is, IMO, the more functional watch, thanks to the lume and hand design. The Great White GMT adds to the functionality a very appealing design.

I'd keep it - in fact, I might even get one myself, one day.

Lovely looking piece.

if it were mine, i'd keep it :)

I think that is lovely - but if there is something that troubles you about it try changing the bracelet for a Nato or rubber strap; I find it often completely changes how the watch works and something that you like becomes something that you love!

Depends with what you will substitute it.
    Probably not a keeper for me.
    Best

Grand Master
    this is the truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Knisse View Post
    The right answer has been mentioned several times, if you like it, keep it

Since you asked for our opinion i would say that i do not like it, which is kind of strange since i really like the Explorer 2 Polar version. I think its the straight lines on the bezel combined with the big hands and the straight markers on the dial. Not sure, but there is something really off about this watch. Rolex EXP 2 polar got it right.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    I think that is lovely - but if there is something that troubles you about it try changing the bracelet for a Nato or rubber strap; I find it often completely changes how the watch works and something that you like becomes something that you love!
    I've never worn my GW (which is away having a service) on anything other than the bracelet. Your suggestion took me off to have a look at the 2834.50.91 (black dial GMT on rubber) and I thought 'no', that's not a good ideal.

Then I did a search for a picture and found a couple of examples on the Omega black rubber with curved ends (98000085 I think) and they didn't look good, IMO. But I also found one on an Omega rubber deployant strap with white stitching and another on a third party croc/alli leather strap with red stitching and changed my mind somewhat. Both have straight ends at the lug fitting. I might have to give those a go.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I've never worn my GW (which is away having a service) on anything other than the bracelet. Your suggestion took me off to have a look at the 2834.50.91 (black dial GMT on rubber) and I thought 'no', that's not a good ideal.

Then I did a search for a picture and found a couple of examples on the Omega black rubber with curved ends (98000085 I think) and they didn't look good, IMO. But I also found one on an Omega rubber deployant strap with white stitching and another on a third party croc/alli leather strap with red stitching and changed my mind somewhat. Both have straight ends at the lug fitting. I might have to give those a go.
    I think one of the fun things about watches is that you can alter their character and appearance by changing the straps. The hours I've spent browsing t'internet looking at watches I already have on different straps....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rik_68 View Post
    as many already said, no one can answer for you. If you like it, it's a keeper, otherwise...
    +1

Craftsman
    I like it, so keep it.

They definately look better balanced on a (black rubber) strap - the white dial with bracelet make them look a little bit anaemic to me.
    I bought mine new and it`s always been on a strap, the bracelet was removed the day i got it.
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 15th March 2016 at 21:58. Reason: they`re watching me...

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    Not a bad shout, might give a different strap a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Mine says hi........

They definately look better balanced on a (black rubber) strap - the white dial with bracelet make them look a little bit anaemic to me.
    I bought mine new and it`s always been on a strap, the bracelet was removed the day i got it.

Looking good on the black strap. Any recommendation on a good quality rubber strap?

Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    Looking good on the black strap. Any recommendation on a good quality rubber strap?
    There are several Omega options depending upon your budget, clasp and style preferences (see my post above). Do a bit of searching, on here and on the net, and find something you like...then I'm sure we'll be able to give you some good advice. Omega gets my vote (and that of others) over third party straps...although they too have their proponents.

Ok, thanks. I'll have a look this evening.

For me, mine is a keeper. But, only because I like it and wear it.
    I have no unrealistic expectations of it shooting up in value over years.