closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lesson learned..

Craftsman

Lesson learned..

Don't ponder on watches you really really want, buy them, immediately! Kicking myself now.
    If they are reasonably priced they will be snatched up.

Watch in question was Kash's excellent Blackout. Good luck to me for finding another like it!

Quote Originally Posted by jhw. View Post
    Don't ponder on watches you really really want, buy them, immediately! Kicking myself now.

Watch in question was Kash's excellent Blackout. Good luck to me for finding another like it!
    Word to live by (at least within the confines of this hobby). I decided to 'have a think' about the Habring2 Foudroyante on SC a while back, gone by the time I made my mind up.

Then SimonK found me another one in France, I ahhm'ed and ahh'ed... and gone again!!!

Master
    It's a life motto in fairness. Regret what you don't do, not what you do.
    In addition, and I know this isn't helping, but providing you have the funds most older watches can be moved on for little financial loss so not too much to lose.

I was very tempted by Kash's but couldn't be certain over collecting it in the short term. It was set for a good home though. ...

Master
    The opposite of buyer's remorse!

Master
    There have been a few on here. Kash's Black Bay was nice and a great price. A TZC IWC the other week and others. Depends what funds are available and do I need anymore (is there a ban?)

Good advice all round. Glad I did with my latest "want".

Master
    True, if you wait too long it'll be gone.
    Luckily I buy on impulse, so have never missed out.
    And if you do like I do, never, never, ever check prices after you've made your purchase

Craftsman
    Yep, it’s gutting when you miss out on something you want in SC. I’ve missed out twice but luckily scored the same watches when they were flipped again shortly after. I think the key is to know what you want, and be prepared to pull the trigger without remorse. Better to regret something you did, rather than something you didn’t do imo.

I disagree, frankly. I always take the time to do my due diligence, checking out the seller, going over photos carefully, checking recent prices, asking questions, etc.

Sometimes this has resulted in me missing out on a watch. So be it. If someone less cautious has beaten me to the punch, I'll live with that. Insta-buying leads to the kind of tales of remorse we often see in these pages.

Quote Originally Posted by jhw. View Post

Don't let for tomorrow what you can do today! life lesson!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I disagree, frankly. I always take the time to do my due diligence, checking out the seller, going over photos carefully, checking recent prices, asking questions, etc.

Sometimes this has resulted in me missing out on a watch. So be it. If someone less cautious has beaten me to the punch, I'll live with that. Insta-buying leads to the kind of tales of remorse we often see in these pages.
    I agree with this. I'd rather take time, do the required research, have a think etc. If I miss out on the product, so be it, there will usually be another one along soon enough. This obviously applies to all sorts of things and not just watches.

Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    If I miss out on the product, so be it, there will usually be another one along soon enough. This obviously applies to all sorts of things and not just watches.
    Well the OP is not likely to see an Exp Blackout again at that price and I won't see another Habring Foudroyante in a hurry.

Master
    Maybe it just wasn't meant to be.......

Blog Entries
    I'd rather take time, do the required research, have a think etc.
    I agree that it's important to do the research so you know what you want.

But...

there will usually be another one along soon enough.
    ...in my experience this often does not apply to watches! Sure, there are some watches where another identical deal is going to come along in a minute but I can't count how often I've dithered and lost a special deal for a special watch that I have never seen again.

In short, if you know what you want then act fast if a deal comes along. Don't dither and don't stop to think (more) about it.

Master
    I take a lot of time thinking about a purchase before making one, its the only way I can stop myself having more than I should and then selling it on when I relaise I don't like it as much as I thought I did.

Have bought most of my watches new though so supply isn't usually an issue, on a more vintage piece I'd fastrack the process I'm sure (and then sell it when I change my mind a few days later) :-D

Agree with Mark.
    Sometimes, if the funds are available, you have to take the plunge.
    Particularly, if the watch in question is hard to source.