closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a Seiko from Japan

Buying a Seiko from Japan

Just wanted recommendations about buying a Seiko from Japan. Which are the trusted sellers to go to? What's everyone's experience of customs duty/import tax to the UK? As a percentage, what should I be allowing for in my budget?

Thanks!

Master
    http://www.seiyajapan.com

http://www.higuchi-inc.com/index-e.html

http://www.creationwatches.com

http://www.shoppinginjapan.net

Personally i'd go with Seiya. I have paid VAT/Customs on every order i've made, make sure you budget accordingly. 20% plus handling charge (usually £13 with Parcelforce)

For example, a MM300 would you cost you $1800 (about £1250) but then there will be an additional VAT charge of around £250

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Just wanted recommendations about buying a Seiko from Japan. Which are the trusted sellers to go to? What's everyone's experience of customs duty/import tax to the UK? As a percentage, what should I be allowing for in my budget?

Thanks!
    I've ordered from Creation four or five times and never paid extra. I've ordered from Seiya once and did get charged.

Isn't it 20% VAT plus another £10-20 handling fee.

Solojapan. Based in Spain so fixed fee. If you deal outside of EBay his price is usually lower then shipped from Japan+taxes.

Master
    Seiya won't sell Grand Seiko to Europe or the UK (which is still part of Europe, just). Annoying because they are cheaper , and also have a bigger range.

Master

Thanks!
    What exactly have you done with your 7 years on here?
    Closed your eyes the whole time or is it just a case of being too lazy to search for the numerous threads with all the info you could ever need?

(Ghosting)
    Have you thought of using the search function? It does work.

I buy most via a proxy site second hand - I use fromjapan mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Seiya won't sell Grand Seiko to Europe or the UK (which is still part of Europe, just). Annoying because they are cheaper , and also have a bigger range.
    Any idea why they won't?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Any idea why they won't?
    Seiko's rules apparently....
    Seiya San was very categorical last time I asked.

General rule:

Hong Kong/China/Singapore sellers = undervalue on customs form to avoid charges

Japan/USA = Honest declaration meaning you nearly always get charged Taxes+Fees

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Any idea why they won't?

To protect their GS ADs in Europe from being undersold. Simple as that.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Anyone used Skywatches, are they another where you'll pay duty inbound? Are they reputable?
    I do quite like receiving measuring devices from Creation.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Anyone used Skywatches, are they another where you'll pay duty inbound? Are they reputable?
    I do quite like receiving measuring devices from Creation.
    iirc Skywatches are an AD and in Singapore have a bricks and mortar store as well. I didn't have to pay duty when I bought from them. I don't know if it being a cheap watch had owt to do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    To protect their GS ADs in Europe from being undersold. Simple as that.
    Thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    iirc Skywatches are an AD and in Singapore have a bricks and mortar store as well. I didn't have to pay duty when I bought from them. I don't know if it being a cheap watch had owt to do with that.
    Thanks, I'll give them a try, its only a cheapie I'm buying so I'll risk it

Master
    Correction, you DID have to pay duty, you chose not to after not having to pay on delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    Correction, you DID have to pay duty, you chose not to after not having to pay on delivery.
    Is that really the case? That if the customs form declares the goods and their value correctly and honestly, and no charge has been applied by Customs, it's my responsibility to go in search of Customs and tell them etc etc? I never knew that. I've no idea how I would go about doing that. Can one do it online?

I'm looking at the Receiving Goods From Abroad page on the HMRC website. It says that "You’ll be contacted by Royal Mail, Parcelforce or the courier company explaining how to pay any VAT, duty and fees for dealing with customs." The only responsibility it says I had was to "check that the sender fills in the customs declaration form correctly". It doesn't say how to go about paying for goods which have been correctly declared but which Customs have ignored.

Here's the link: https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/overview
    Last edited by Der Amf; 27th February 2016 at 08:59.

Parcelforce will ask for payment, while FedEx will deliver without any problems, then few weeks later will send the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    Er, correction- it wouldn't have been duty, but VAT.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Er, correction- it wouldn't have been duty, but VAT.
    My correction stands corrected, thanks!

And from reading above it may be my correction was a load of old cobblers anyway, I'll get me coat......

Master
    Unless the watch was less than £18 then VAT was liable, if the sender choose to falsify the invoice or the courier company missed the opportunity to make a tenner then you it through without additional charge by luck not by right.

It is true that sellers in some asian countries routinely falsify invoices but I suspect that they won't get away with it indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I buy most via a proxy site second hand - I use fromjapan mainly.
    I would like to know more about this- no particular desire to shop in Japan for new/modern stuff as I have my MM300 and at some point I will pick up a GS Quartz on SC so that part of my collection will be complete. Vintage is another matter altogether though, I love the vintage JDM Seikos I have and need more!

Can someone please suggest where to start on the buying vintage from Japan front?

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Unless the watch was less than £18 then VAT was liable, if the sender choose to falsify the invoice or the courier company missed the opportunity to make a tenner then you it through without additional charge by luck not by right.

It is true that sellers in some asian countries routinely falsify invoices but I suspect that they won't get away with it indefinitely.
    I just had a look for the box that my Skywatches order came in, to examine the customs form, but I've only retained the hangtag and warranty. My recollection is that Skywatches filled in the form honestly, as did the other Singapore dealer I've purchased from.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I've just ordered a cheapy from creation. Hasn't arrived yet but it's my first time of ordering so I'll update if i get any additional charges.

Thanks all for the input - much appreciated. I'm after a SARB065 and there seems to be a wide price range across the suggested vendors.

To PJ S.... I was just after the most up-to-date information. I'm extremely sorry for having made you click the link into this thread.

I used Shopping in Japan for my SBDX012. Really good service. They allowed me to pick serial number and then sent pictures of the actual watch.

They sell on ebay as well as their own website. Happy to negotiate discounts and they slightly marked down the customs declaration.

Apprentice
    I purchased my Seiko 55 fathoms from creation watches, it was shipped as a measuring device and as a result no taxes to pay. Also came in less than a week so very happy.

Are there a lot of Seiko watches that can't be had here or in Europe ? years ago I would say yes JDM only etc, I recently bought a marinemaster from Germay no issues no duty etc came with European warranty and everything else you would expect, when I bought my Sumo from Japan eight years ago it came with there Japaneese warranty, not much use to me, though the outlet at the time stated if I had any issues in the warranty period I could send it back to them and they would process it from there end.
    Regarding price with the comparison given for the MM from Seiya I paid roughly the same but no 20% duty and other charges.

Master
    To PJ S.... I was just after the most up-to-date information. I'm extremely sorry for having made you click the link into this thread.
    Apology accepted...