closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which of these 3 Nomos to buy?

Craftsman

Question Which of these 3 Nomos to buy?

I own a Rolex Daytona as my daily wear watch, and love it :)

I also have a Chris Ward C5 Malvern Slimline, as my dress watch. Lovely watch but I have rarely worn it, as I like the Daytona too much.

Other than that I have a couple of quartz watches (Rado and Gucci), which I no longer wear for the same reason.

I have however liked Nomos watches ever since I first saw one over two years ago. I have now decided I will buy one, although I fear it may also end up in the drawer.

I am seeking advice, having narrowed down the choice to three watches.

Tangente 38
    Tangente 38 Datum
    Tangente Gangreserve

Here is my thinking:

I want the 38mm preferably, as my current watches are smaller. So this would be different. The third one is however a 35mm.

I want the new Nomos Swing System (in house escapement). The first one does not have it.

I am not so keen on having a date feature, as the Nomos system seems awkward to set for date, and I will not wear the watch daily. I don't want an automatic for the same reason.

The first watch looks the best (cleanest) to my eyes, but does not have the in house escapement.

So each has pros and cons.

Here are links to all three.

http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watche...stal-back.html

So, any advice please? And is there anything to be wary of?

Craftsman
    I like the very nice power reserve indication on the gangreserve. Nomos make fantastic watches. I have the beautiful and slender Ludwig. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the watches on your short list... Have you seen the new champagne ones?

The only thing to be aware of is that my Ludwig and I assume these too wear HUGE... They're all dial and the lugs are long and thin. My 35 mm wears larger than my Sinn U1....seriously.

Have you seen the blaugold Zurich.. My favourite Nomos but way too big for me to carry off.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    I like the very nice power reserve indication on the gangreserve. Nomos make fantastic watches. I have the beautiful and slender Ludwig. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the watches on your short list... Have you seen the new champagne ones?

The only thing to be aware of is that my Ludwig and I assume these too wear HUGE... They're all dial and the lugs are long and thin. My 35 mm wears larger than my Sinn U1....seriously.

Have you seen the blaugold Zurich.. My favourite Nomos but way too big for me to carry off.

Yes, I have seen the champagne ones, but I am really attracted to the silver (white) dials.

The Ludwig 38 is very nice indeed, but I prefer the Arabic numerals look of the classic Tangente design for this purchase. Stunning watch though.

I just looked at the Zurich. Beautiful, but not the Bauhaus design I am looking for.

I do take your point about size. If it were not for the fact that my current watches are quite small, and I want something different (bigger), I would not hesitate to go for the 35mm. It is a pity the Tangente Gangreserve only comes in 35mm, as that is the only thing stopping me going for that one.

Like I said, each of the three have pros and cons for me :(

As already mentioned, Nomos do wear large due to the dial size and lugs.

I quite often wear a 40mm Explorer II or GMT Master and having tried on many different Nomos models concluded that the 38mm ones were too large for my 7" wrist - so I ended up with the 35mm Ludwig. This also fits me better than 35mm Orion or Tangente.

Tangente 38 all the way. Looking at one myself. The beauty of the Nomos is in its simplicity. Pure class. Everything you need and nothing you don't.

I feel the dial balance works better on the smaller version. So I'd go for the third one, but as mentioned really must be tried on to gauge size

As others have said, these designs wear absolutely huge and 38mm is too big for my 7 inch wrist. Also, the sub seconds on the 38mm models are too close to the centre IMO. The 35mm is a perfect size though and that's the one I'd be getting if I were you. Have you actually tried a 35mm on? You may be surprised how well they wear.

I second the view that they wear big. I had the 38mm Club Datum and sold it as the lugs were just too long. It never felt 100%.

I now have the 36mm Club and it's perfect. I normally wear 39-42mm divers, sports, chronos, whatever, and thought the 36mm would be tiny but it works on my 7.2" wrist.

If your wrist is flat you could get away with it, but I'm rounded so the lugs stuck out:

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I second the view that they wear big. I had the 38mm Club Datum and sold it as the lugs were just too long. It never felt 100%.

I now have the 36mm Club and it's perfect. I normally wear 39-42mm divers, sports, chronos, whatever, and thought the 36mm would be tiny but it works on my 7.2" wrist.
    I have the 701 too. Absolutely beautiful piece and a perfect size. Looks great on you :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    As already mentioned, Nomos do wear large due to the dial size and lugs.
    Yes, I do keep reading that :)

It is why I retained the third watch in my shortlist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Tangente 38 all the way. Looking at one myself. The beauty of the Nomos is in its simplicity. Pure class. Everything you need and nothing you don't.
    I agree :)

And if the Tangente 38 had the in house escapement, the decision would have been easy. But that is its downside :(

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I feel the dial balance works better on the smaller version. So I'd go for the third one, but as mentioned really must be tried on to gauge size
    For an idea of wrist size, here is a pic of my Daytona on me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    As others have said, these designs wear absolutely huge and 38mm is too big for my 7 inch wrist. Also, the sub seconds on the 38mm models are too close to the centre IMO. The 35mm is a perfect size though and that's the one I'd be getting if I were you. Have you actually tried a 35mm on? You may be surprised how well they wear.
    I struggled with the dial balance question too, so I know what you mean.

I did try on a 35 and a 38 a couple of years ago, and both were fine on me. I normally wear a smaller watch (Daytona), so it is why I wanted a bigger one for something different.

Craftsman

Thanks. Interesting to see the pics too.

I'm coming round to the inevitable conclusion that I will have to visit a dealer in London and try these on again. Otherwise whichever I buy, I will have second thoughts and doubts.

And that may well decide the choice of the 3 too.

Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post
    I struggled with the dial balance question too, so I know what you mean.

I did try on a 35 and a 38 a couple of years ago, and both were fine on me. I normally wear a smaller watch (Daytona), so it is why I wanted a bigger one for something different.
    Unless you bought your Daytona from an Egyptian market it should be circa 1mm larger in case diameter than a 38mm Nomos?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Unless you bought your Daytona from an Egyptian market it should be circa 1mm larger in case diameter than a 38mm Nomos?
    LOL, yes but everyone says the Nomos wears larger than the size suggests. So perhaps a direct comparison is not possible?

It's clear that the 35 v 38 question needs addressing first, so I will visit a dealer next week and try on both sizes again. The discussion has been useful in making that decision at least, so far :)

In raw measurement my smallest watch but could well have the greatest surface area on the dial

Tangente 38

Easy to forget you are even wearing a watch

I was at Nomos in Berlin (design studio not Glasutte manufacture) last week shooting for QP magazine, if I were you I would wait for the pre Basel announcement from Nomos that I expect will be soon before deciding what to buy, you should have a bit more choice then regarding movements and dial designs. I can't really say any more

Master
    My son has a Tangomat and a Zurich and they are lovely watches - but in your case you have perfectly serviceable dress watches that you don't wear because you love your Daytona so much ........................ so why bother? Why would a Nomos be any different? It will end up in the "drawer of shame". Fight the itch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd go for the standard non-date non-reserve. Dates are a pain in a rare wearer.

LOL, yes but everyone says the Nomos wears larger than the size suggests. So perhaps a direct comparison is not possible?

It's clear that the 35 v 38 question needs addressing first, so I will visit a dealer next week and try on both sizes again. The discussion has been useful in making that decision at least, so far :)
    Good plan.

For me, the date on the 38 mm makes better use of the large dial area, and edges out the non-date for that diameter. The 35 mm is of course lovely as well.

Any one of the three would make an excellent complement to the Daytona, but don't overlook their other models. The simple 36 mm Club model is gorgeous in person, for example.

I have a lot of respect for Nomos as a real watchmaker, and I don't find they have much true competiton for the money.

I own a Rolex Daytona as my daily wear watch, and love it :) I also have a Chris Ward C5 Malvern Slimline, as my dress watch. Lovely watch but I have rarely worn it, as I like the Daytona too much. Other than that I have a couple of quartz watches (Rado and Gucci), which I no longer wear for the same reason. I have however liked Nomos watches ever since I first saw one over two years ago. I have now decided I will buy one, although I fear it may also end up in the drawer. I am seeking advice, having narrowed down the choice to three watches. Tangente 38 Tangente 38 Datum Tangente Gangreserve Here is my thinking: I want the 38mm preferably, as my current watches are smaller. So this would be different. The third one is however a 35mm. I want the new Nomos Swing System (in house escapement). The first one does not have it. I am not so keen on having a date feature, as the Nomos system seems awkward to set for date, and I will not wear the watch daily. I don't want an automatic for the same reason. The first watch looks the best (cleanest) to my eyes, but does not have the in house escapement. So each has pros and cons. Here are links to all three. http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watche...stal-back.html http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watche...stal-back.html http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watche...stal-back.html So, any advice please? And is there anything to be wary of?

Shame the Gangreserve is a bit small. I like the design the best of the 3 but they are all very nice.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Apprentice

Which of these 3 Nomos to buy?

I to have looked at Nomos watches and quite definitely will look to buy one once funds are available. My mind already made up and its the first one the Tangente 38.
    Its just the plain understated look that appeals most and totally different to my daily wearers of Hamilton and Seiko. Mind you all of these watches are excellent in my very humble opinion and I would be happy with either of them.

Craftsman

Thanks all

MarkO, thanks and that is interesting. Smallest watch yet biggest dial area!

MrSmith, thanks and I guess that means an announcement within a couple of weeks, so it's no hardship for me to wait :)

UKMike, yes the problem seems to be that I don't rotate watches as many do. I simply wear the dress watch when in a DJ i.e rarely. And a quartz watch when driving on track, in case of damage, so again, rarely. Which means the Daytona is worn all the time :)

Pete-r, yes my thinking too about the date feature. And doubly so given the more difficult setting process on Nomos.

Belligero, I also see what you mean about the date making better use of the dial on the 38. But trying on both sizes again, and seeing them will help decide I am sure.

Andy, yes if the Gangreserve were 38mm the decision would be made. But perhaps MrSmith's comment gives me hope.

David, that was my starting point too. I liked the simple Tangente 38 most of all. But the bought in escapement vs the in-house escapement on the others made me think again. Again, perhaps the pre-Basel announcement will resolve that.

You can't go wrong with any of those choices. I would also wait it out and see what's being announced at Basel. I'd imagine the new Neomatik models will be shown, but I'm looking forward to seeing the swing system go into all the movements eventually.

I have a 36.5mm Tangente Sport. I was recently considering if I should move it on but I just can't do it. It's slightly more "robust" than the standard Tangente, has a little bit of lume and 100m WR, great for everyday wear. It's also the most accurate watch I've owned.
    I think the only watch that could replace it for me would be another Nomos!

Last edited by Mr Tetley; 4th March 2016 at 23:29.

Changed watches to go out this evening - took off something 44mm and put on my 38mm Tangente.
    In no way did it feel small - thinner and lighter sure but not small

Craftsman
    Mr Tetley, thanks and yes I will definitely wait until Basel.

MarkO, yes the 38mm will certainly be more than big enough. I just need to try it on side by side with a 35mm to see how they compare. I can't quite recall from 2 years ago when I tried them.

Craftsman

Exclamation Nomos Basel leak?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I was at Nomos in Berlin (design studio not Glasutte manufacture) last week shooting for QP magazine, if I were you I would wait for the pre Basel announcement from Nomos that I expect will be soon before deciding what to buy, you should have a bit more choice then regarding movements and dial designs. I can't really say any more

I found some information elsewhere. I cannot confirm its accuracy though.

In the online exhibitor catalogue for Baselworld 2008 there is an entry of NOMOS. There you can read that three new models of the NOMOS Club will be introduced. They will be bigger and more elegant and will have hand wound and automatic movements. Secondly, there will be "watchmaker specialities" that will be a class higher than we have seen from NOMOS so far.

Baselworld 2008 ?

Marty, get to the clock tower!
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master

If your wrist is flat you could get away with it, but I'm rounded so the lugs stuck out:

Both beautifully designed watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Baselworld 2008 ?
    :(

Oops....I was so excited to find the news that the date completely bypassed my thought process

Craftsman

Baselworld 2016 ?

I tried on a few Nomos last week. The three Nomos that interested me were:

Tangente 38 - right size, but has the old (generic) escapement
    Tangente 38 Datum - right size, but I don't want the date
    Tangente Gangreserve - right escapement and features, but only 35mm

Having tried on both sizes, it was clear that the 38mm looked better on my wrist. The 35mm was ok....until I tried the bigger one, and then it was clear I would not be happy if I bought the 35mm, knowing the 38mm suited me better.

It seems that Nomos only announced a new Tetra Minimatik at Basel :( And that shape does not interest me.

So, basically none of the 3 watches ideally meets my requirements :(

Craftsman
    I emailed Nomos to ask when they might make a 38mm Tangente Gangreserve, and they replied saying they currently have no such plans :(

Craftsman

Question Metro?

Given that none of the 3 watches ideally meets my requirements, thinking (slightly) outside the box, what are your thoughts on this watch please?

A different design but not too far removed from the Tangente. It is 37mm and has the Nomos in-house escapement. The date feature is an annoyance, although it does balance the dial nicely.

^Huge fan of the metro design. Liked it from the first moment I saw it in pictures. Haven't been able to see one in the metal yet though! Likely to join my collection in the next couple of years.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    ^Huge fan of the metro design. Liked it from the first moment I saw it in pictures. Haven't been able to see one in the metal yet though! Likely to join my collection in the next couple of years.

I am liking it more, the more I look at it.

9 month waiting list though :(

Thinking it over currently, but I do think it is very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    The metro is a fantastic looking watch and wears well on the wrist personally along with the Zurich I think the nicest looking Nomos watch. Only thing to consider is how dated the design may be in 10 years time.

Banned
    although I fear it may also end up in the drawer.

So, any advice please? And is there anything to be wary of?
    My advice is this: Don't bother. It will end up in the drawer. When you find the watch you really want you will know and you will not have to ask people here to choose it for you.

Journeyman
    That daytona looks amazing

Master
    My idea of the Nomos is plain and simple, no dates, no power reserves, no chronos etc.
    Just a big dial and sub seconds, gorgeous.

choose the most discreet one. If u already have an eyecatcher like a daytona the simpliest Nomos will bring calmness in your collection!

Apprentice

the descreet 38

which is the 1st option, is the "clean" of them all

don't like the red circle BTW

Craftsman

Post Decisions, decisions!

Robert, thanks for the comments and I am liking the Metro more each day. I take your point that it may look dated in future. That is a hard one to assess though, as its appearance is so unique.

GrandS, I know I really want a Nomos. Which Nomos is the tricky part. I like the Bauhaus look of the Tangente models, and the Metro is clearly a derivative of that. And it is not that I am asking people to choose for me - what I am doing is asking for thoughts and comments, all of which give me food for thought in making decisions.

grchmason, thanks :) I love that Daytona, and you can see why I choose it to wear daily. The reason I don't wear my other watches is not because I don't like them; it is because I like the Daytona too much.

uktotty, I started with that exact perspective too. Hence the simple Tangente 38 was my initial choice. Another plus point is that it is half the price of the Metro :) But the more I see the power reserve, the more I like that feature.

Soesgsxr & tzachi, I know what you mean. But I worry that a discreet Tangente 38 may just be too "similar" to my C5 Malvern Slimline in terms of minimalist looks, so the C5 would become obsolete for me.

So overall, my current thoughts are:

Tangente 38 - right size, but has the old (generic) escapement, which will always be an issue for me. Cheapest though, which is good.

Tangente Gangreserve - right escapement and features, but only 35mm, so not an option. I like the power reserve as it adds interest to the dial.

Metro Datum Gangreserve - right escapement, features and size. Eye-catching but perhaps too visually odd (i.e. may look dated in future). I like the wire lugs. I prefer not having a date feature, but it does balance the dial visually.

So in summary, at present the Metro Datum Gangreserve is my surprise front runner!

Craftsman
    Sorry... I contributed to this thread early doors and haven't read back to the start... White Zurich?

Out of what you are suggesting I would still go with the Metro by a country mile! Perhaps because I have the Stowa Antea KS I just cant see the added cost in the Nomos Tangente and the idea of it being "In house" Doesn't move me at all. The Metro is a unique design and I don't know if you have tried it on but it is a beauty to wear and the size is really well balanced something I think a lot of Nomos watches don't have. The long lugs on others to compensate for a small case make them look odd on the wrist and even the display back looking like a ladies watch from the 70s.

As before, have a look at the Zurich if you like a minimalist design.

Craftsman
    Jeepie, thanks, the white Zurich is a very beautiful design. But for me it is a little too "standard" in its looks, and would be too close to my C5 Malvern Slimline.

I have concluded that if I am to buy a Nomos, I want it to contrast with my existing watches so that I have a reason to wear it.

Robert75, thanks and my above comment brings me nicely to the Metro, which certainly would be a strong contrast to all my current watches, giving me plenty of reason to wear it. I did not manage to see a Metro when I went to WoS in Regent St recently as they had none in stock.

I agree that your Stowa is very similar indeed to the Tangente, even down to the blued steel hands. http://gearpatrol.com/2013/10/29/wan...towa-antea-ks/

I have the tangente gangreserve... it does not look too small on my 7in wrist.

However, I would go for either:
    - the metro, which design's is stunning
    - or the Zurich worltimer with blue dial. Quirky and interesting. The face is busy but it works... I think it's an eye-catcher...

Craftsman
    M Milaguet,

Thanks. The 35mm Tangente looked fine on me too, until I tried it side by side with a 38mm one. Then it was clear that the slightly larger one looked better on my wrist.

But the Metro is really grabbing my attention now. The more I look at it, the more its design appeals to me. I am getting very close to going for one :)

Craftsman

Decision made & new watch ordered

Thank you all who commented. It was useful to bounce my thoughts off everyone :)

I just ordered this: http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watche...stal-back.html

Having looked at the watch for days, I realised I preferred it to the more traditional Bauhaus design of the Tangente. With its quirky take on the Bauhaus look, I feel the Metro Gangreserve will maintain my interest and desire to wear it. Occasionally even instead of my much loved Daytona.

The 37mm size is right for me, I like quirky looks, the in-house very high quality movement, wire lugs, "all dial" minimal bezel, silver dial, and the unique power reserve feature. I will just have to live with the date feature I did not want, although it does look right on the dial, balancing it, so it is good that it is there.

It is also so very different to my current watches that it is very likely to be worn.

Display back:

Last edited by JasH; 3rd April 2016 at 21:08.