closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: NAS Streaming app for/from Apple devices?

NAS Streaming app for/from Apple devices?

Morning All,

I've just transferred approximately 500gb of music onto my airport extreme and set up iTunes to read from this library (hopefully). I now want to able to see that library from my phone and bluetooth it to wireless speakers etc. Supposedly I can use the Apple remote app to do this, however, the app shows me the networked library but only for streaming to my Apple TV running through the receiver in the lounge. Great but I'd like to understand how to stream it to the bluetooth speaker in the study/office or any other bluetooth enabled device.

Can I get the Apple remote app to do this or better still is there an Music app that will "find" my networked library and play it through my iPhone or iPad? The alternative option is something like a Naim Mu-so (plus Qbs) but I'm loathe to spend that much when I have most of the hardware and just need the interface/connection.

Thanks in advance
    Tim

Home sharing in the Music app only works when the music is stored on a Mac / PC.

You could try downloading VLC on your iDevice, point it to your SMB share on the Time Capsule then tell it to stream to your bluetooth device.

It's well clunky compared to the Mu-so, I've got one and love it.

BTW the Mu-so works best when streaming from a NAS running DNLA/UPNP, I've got a Synology.
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 16th September 2016 at 12:19.

Master
    Apple remote won't allow you to do this, but the Apple music app will as long as iTunes is running and you have home sharing enabled.
    It doesn't matter where the music is stored as long as it's accessible in iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    Apple remote won't allow you to do this, but the Apple music app will as long as iTunes is running and you have home sharing enabled.
    It doesn't matter where the music is stored as long as it's accessible in iTunes.
    Thanks for this, does that mean that I have to leave the Mac running and iTunes open to access this? Also, do I have to turn on iCloud music library (which then confuses me as to what's on my phone when listening away from home, or means I have to spend ages wandering through a huge library?)

Try an App called 'FileBrowser' to see if it meets your requirements. I primarily use it to stream video and to view documents but I've just tried it for Audio and it works perfectly. I see no reason why you couldn't then link to a Bluetooth speaker.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Thanks for this, does that mean that I have to leave the Mac running and iTunes open to access this? Also, do I have to turn on iCloud music library (which then confuses me as to what's on my phone when listening away from home, or means I have to spend ages wandering through a huge library?)
    Yes you do have to have the Mac running and iTunes running on it. No, you don't need to turn on iCloud music library.
    Turn on home sharing in iTunes and on the music app on your device.
    You will then have access to your iTunes library on your device when at home and if you connect to your bluetooth device the music you play in the music app will play on it.

I pay for iTunes Match (£22 per year). This gives you access to your iTunes library even when away from home.
    Last edited by Cynar; 16th September 2016 at 13:22.

Mine seems to find my Library when I click on 'activate home sharing' but it cannot activate it.

Yes you do have to have the Mac running and iTunes running on it. No, you don't need to turn on iCloud music library.
    Turn on home sharing in iTunes and on the music app on your device.
    You will then have access to your iTunes library on your device when at home and if you connect to your bluetooth device the music you play in the music app will play on it.

I pay for iTunes Match (£22 per year). This gives you access to your iTunes library even when away from home.
    Thanks for this, maybe it's just beyond me as I can't get it working. Sharing is switched on across MacBook, phone etc but just cannot get it going.

The FileBroswer (lite) app seems to do the job, might just get the paid version and be done.

I use MusicStreamer.